Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Garrett Pin pointer bit the dust. I got it from an old guy who had it 4 years before selling it to me. Got it for $75 on CL. It served me well when I started detecting. I can't afford another one so I hope my clad adds up to enough for the new Deteknix pin pointer. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Think I might bury the Garrett in the back yard. Don't know what I will do with myself till I get my new one. Pray for me brothers.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear that mike ! What was it doing? My almost new digital camera got the hammer today , it refused to put the zoom out and open the lens cover.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pointer was falsing on everything. I could hold it in the air and it would go off. I became useless. I tried the youtube fix to no avail. It's toast.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It became useless. LOL

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why don't you check with garrett and see if they will do something for you.Its worth a shot.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. I think I will try an x-pointer. I hear they work great, no falsing, adjustable like the 360, and only $89 bucks.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Losing my Propointer would make me sad too- don't think I would want to hunt without it. I would call about sending it in for repairs. Might be cheaper than buying a new one. Worse case you spend $10 to ship it to them and it is not worth fixing.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your signature tallies $150 in clad, sooo you should be OK.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
And i hear that If Garrett can not fix it they will sell you a new one at 50% off that would be around $63.00...

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That signature clad tally paid for my F5 upgrade last month. My uncounted clad is not that much.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perhaps your pinpointer has moisture in it? That will cause the falsing issue. Remove the rubber button cap and the battery + end cap. Carefully use a hair dryer on low to blow some warm air through it for a while, or even let it sit in the sun in a dry area. It fixed mine one time after a rainy morning hunt.

Being a sealed up unit, these Pro Pointers can hold moisture very easily.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe put in the frig for a few days.... if it is moisture let the frig do the work... :dontknow:

Last year I'm out back in the woods MDing. And as usual my faithful black lab is tagging along. While I digging up ANOTHER horseshoe I lay my pin pointer to the side by the machine. Well when I reached for it... it was gone and so was the black lab... NOT GOOD. Found/saw lab about 50 yds. away and yelled. Took me 2 days to find it but it still worked even after a rain the next day.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No I tried the youtube fix by re-coating the red wires with nail polish. It still falsed. Then broke the power button trying to put it back together. It's toast.:BangHead:

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No I tried the youtube fix by re-coating the red wires with nail polish. It still falsed. Then broke the power button trying to put it back together. It's toast.:BangHead:

Here is a replacement switch: MHPS2266 Apem | Mouser

Those red leads are actually what they call magnet wire, they are coated with insulation. They don't like to be flexed more than a couple of times while putting and taking the pointer apart, so expect one of both of them to break off at the board. That type of wire is usually found in motor windings and coils for electronic use. I would also check the solder joints on the battery terminals to the circuit board. They tend to develop tiny cracks after a while. Just reheating those with a 15W soldering iron will eliminate that problem.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear your pin pointer has pointed skyward for the last time. I'd be lost with out mine.
Can you get a cheap one till you save enough for a good one?

Sounds like something is lose or touching something it shouldn't. If you can't get a discounted replacement from Garrett take it apart and see if you can fix it, can't hurt. My old whites did that, a wire was lose.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did take it apart and broke the switch. It was still falsing after I tried to fix it. I ordered a Deteknix X-pointer today. Luckily I had enough clad to pay for it. Should be here in about 3 days. Ordered it from Bart at Big Boys hobbies. He was very nice. Now the wait till I can get back out there. The detecting season is short in Montana so want to loose as few of days as possible.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yay! My new Deteknix X-pointer arrived! I can detect again! Like what I see so far, will tell you how it does in the field. Woo Hoo! WP_20140906_001.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread