Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A couple weeks ago, I went with my wife and some friends into the hills and my wife showed me a couple of abandoned home sites she remembered as a child growing up in that area.

WP_20140816_023.jpg WP_20140816_030.jpg

It is getting late in the year to work them now, but next spring I was thinking of hitting them. Anyone ever work sites like these before?
I was thinking it would probably be smart to get a 5" sniper for these areas, as it is trashy. My 11" DD would probably have a hard time with it and the vegetation. What do you think? Any tips?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I love sites like this. It does require some upfront work to make them more enjoyable. Tools in my arsenal for this site would be a weed eater, maybe some Round Up, a rake, small pruning tools. I'd move all the limbs and big stuff to one spot as far away as possible. Sometimes the extra effort pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info! It gives me some things to think about.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Getting late in season"...Ground frozen already? I would hit it ASAP.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Getting late in season"...Ground frozen already? I would hit it ASAP.
Hit it hard. Hit it often. Stay as long as you can each time, and keep going back until the ground is too hard to dig. Some of my best finds were at an old boys camp in early november, and the day I went and couldnt dig was the day I left it and went for a hot coffee.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would wait after all the weeds die off and before the ground freezes. Or wait until Spring before things start growing. I would disturb the landscape as little as possible. Unless it's your property.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I plan on treating the land as I would a public park. You won't even know I was there Johnnycat. Here in Montana it is already snowing in the mountains. Probably a few inches at the sites by now.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on treating the land as I would a public park. You won't even know I was there Johnnycat. Here in Montana it is already snowing in the mountains. Probably a few inches at the sites by now.

I miss the snow! Lived in Wyoming for 16 years.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Man, do it the easy way. I would just take my PI and my shovel and dig everything.
Forget the sniper coil. That would take forever and time is of the essence. That is rough country, not a park. Frank five star.png Tool shovel-700.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread