Digging tool

FollowTheBeep

Jul 15, 2014
Bloomington, IL
Detector(s) used
Racer, ACE 250, Propointer AT, Cen-tec pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should do as well as my $8.00 Fiskars garden tool that I've been using for 4 years.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wooden handle looks like it would fail in time. I like this one. Product Details

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got this one and love it! image.jpg

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
+1 for the Raptor especially for hard dry ground and deep targets. I found the nori hor hard to dig deep with.i

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Msbeepbeep Knows a good digger when she sees one i use the same one… DSCN0730.JPG …... 4750.jpg

OP
OP
dusty1530

dusty1530

Aug 14, 2013
Brownsville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you get it from Amazon ?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
+1 for the Raptor especially for hard dry ground and deep targets. I found the nori hor hard to dig deep with.i

Dig deep with! Hay , your into shovel territory. This all steel baby is 14 years old. It has dug deep for caches and has been used as a pry bar and lock breaker. From A M Leonard of course! Frank five star.png
Tool shovel-700.jpg

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I ordered a Hori Hori with wooden handle like the one you're considering but returned it as the handle didn't feel comfortable and the top of that handle bit into my hand when pressure was applied.

I found the one at the link below and really like it. Titanium bonded, serrated blade and it feels great in my hand.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KH5VKMA

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I said before the Raptor is my ultimate digger but cant afford it yet. But this is the one I use now and has never let me down. I think it is a Fiskars, got it from an old guy who retired from detecting.

WP_20140916_001.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
As I said before the Raptor is my ultimate digger but cant afford it yet. But this is the one I use now and has never let me down. I think it is a Fiskars, got it from an old guy who retired from detecting.

View attachment 1054307

Looks like the aluminum one Sears was selling a while back. Yes it was a Fiskars. Frank five star.png

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have one very similar to that, but no serrations on the side. I love it. There's no feeling like wood in your hand. What I did was to sand down the wood to 400 grit and finished it real nice with Tru-Oil, so it came out like a gun stock. Super durable, and easy on your paws if you take the time to smooth out the handle a little. Well worth the effort.

gberl001

Jun 17, 2014
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac (w/ Garrett Pro Pointer)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought almost the exact hori hori you are looking at, this is mine. The only difference I see at a quick glance is that my blade is stainless steel while that one is carbon steel and I think my blade is an inch or two longer. I would've probably gone with yours if I saw it in my search results since it's ten bucks cheaper. Anyway, so far I love my hori hori, I've had it for about three months and so far there is nothing I can't do (in the hand digger domain).

I don't let my kids use it though since there is a straight shot right to the blade if your hand slips while stabbing the ground. We have really dry and thick (clay) soil around here so often times it's hard to stab the dirt with a hand tool. I let them use the standard leche, I used that one once but didn't like it, the blade is much thicker and less knife-like so it didn't seem to cut through the ground as well. In moderately moist soil, the hori hori glides through the dirt like it's butter.

So, here's my take (basing off using a lesche hand digger, hori hori, lesche 18" Sampson)
Pros:
  • Thin blade cuts through tougher dirt much easier than other tools I've used
  • The blade is thin but it is extremely durable, I have pried many rocks and large trash items and it's still straight
  • The serrated blade has worked fairly well on most roots pencil thick or thinner
  • I do like how the handle is directly above the blade, seems physics-wise that it would put less strain on your wrist (I used the lesche but don't like the offset handle), especially in hard dirt
  • Three months in and no sign of bending, dulling (surprisingly) or handle failure (those rivets are really holding in there well)

Cons:
  • Although it cuts through tough dirt easier than other tools I've used, it hurts my wrist (I have carpal tunnel) when using it in tough dirt after a while
  • There is no guard between the handle and the blade. I wear gloves so this isn't a huge negative for me
  • The serrated edge works but maybe deeper teeth would make it even better

Conclusion:
All in all, the tool works great in my opinion, I haven't used many others but when you find something that works and works well... why keep looking? I did, however, look for a new tool to assist this one, because of my carpal tunnel, I now use the hori hori but in hard dirt I substitute my lesche 18" tool which is great too but that's not a hand tool so I won't go into detail.

Hope this helps. For $14 (right now) it seems like a pretty good deal... my Lesche hand digger cost $36 and the 18" Lesche Sampson cost $68

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got this one at Menards for under $10 and it stays in my truck as a back up in case I forget my primary digger out at the cabin. It's sharps as hell and cuts very clean plugs quickly and efficiently.
2014-05-02 21.47.59.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I started out I used an old swiss bayonet especially if I had to cut a fancy plug. Plunge cut a circle and wa la. Now people say you should not wear a bayonet :dontknow:. Have a leonards and a lesche now. I like a little bit of a guard so like the lesche better but leonards is a good tool.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also have a Lesche, but prefer my hori hori because of the offset lesche handle. The Lesche is a nice tool - very tough, but if the offset was 1/2" less, it'd be almost perfect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread