Rattlesnake video....

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a couple of minutes of video on the rattler I ran into Monday this week. I was out at the Big Lost doing some jig experiments. Just sitting in the truck waiting for dark so I could do some UV prospecting before I went home. The snake just crawled out of the sage about 30' in front of the truck. There was a cold snap due that night, and he obviously felt it, though the temp was 73*. He was heading up the hill to the right, where there are some deeper crevices in the basalt, and lots of big boulders. I couldn't push him off track very far...he was determined to go up the hill. That hill is probably his hibernation den. After a bit of video, and a couple of still shots, I let him go on his way.
Jim

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Jim... I walked off my front lawn yesterday into the woods heading to my woodshop at my other home and came across one. It wasn't very big but I watched it for some time. This one made a lot more noise then the one you had. But its warmer here probably in TN.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think it's probably more the type of rattler when it comes to behavior. It gets really cold here, so our rattlers thrive at 73*. You can run in to them when it's down in the 50's, though at that temp they're usually heading for their hibernation spot. On the other hand, our snakes tend to be sort of laid-back, and don't get aggressive....nothing at all like Western Diamondbacks. You guys probably have Eastern Diamondbacks, or other types that are pretty nasty.....don't run much, and tend to stand their ground and do lots of rattling. Glad we don't have them here.
Jim

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate snakes.A few times out by a river i go to i have seen water moccasins.They are not very nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread