MDing a ghost town that was flooded

Jonesin

Apr 1, 2007
Mckeesport, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Yea, another newb question. I live in southwestern, PA and have alot of ghost coal mining towns from the 1800s, they are all along the river and flooded out more than once.

They have a Rails to Trails program here that they take out the RR tracks and put in bike/hiking trails, the places I'm talking about have easy access from the trails, and I did some research over the winter and there are alot of old towns that were along the tracks.

My question is, if anyone has MD'd an old town that was flooded in the past and had any luck.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Jonesin- that is a really good question and an even better idea. I'm familiar with some of those Rails to Trails sites; I know of easy access in the Coraopolis area. I wouldn't be surprised if you did really well in some of those places; I'll keep an eye out for your posts about it.

OP
OP
Jonesin

Jonesin

Apr 1, 2007
Mckeesport, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Hey Halfdime- If you would like some more info on what I got, let me know. Most of the info I have is from Boston, PA bike trail and south towards Maryland. Maybe we can get as close as the fuzz on a tick’s ear to finding something or just missing it by a gnats eyelash. Had to throw that in, he he

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
good plan. We have a major state trail here in Wi that I live fairly close to. I am pretty sure the trail itself wold be a dud, but some of the stops along the way might be worth a look, thanx for the idea.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Jonesin- after a good hunt I like to spread some chicken on the hill, if you know what I mean. I haven't done a lot of research on these ghost towns (none, in fact), and I think it's a stroke of genius on your part to think of it. And I'm still angry, 32 years later, that they fired the man (though by his own admission, he deserved it). Why don't you PM me; I have a new hunting partner from TNet who may also be interested in this idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread