MD "Virgin" looking for The Golden Rules...

• Thread starter Life is but a Dream
  • Start date
L

Life is but a Dream

MD "Virgin" looking for The Golden Rules...

By "Virgin", I mean that in the adjective sense of the word. My first and only metal detecting experience was about a year ago when my then 8 year old daughter received a "National Geographic" metal detector for Christmas. I thought it was the coolest present ever and we had great fun detecting things all over the house. Now let me take you back from that Christmas day to about 5 weeks earlier when my youngest daughter, then age 4, got bored after being put to bed and decided to put a quarter in her mouth. Well long story short, the doctor on the other end of the phone, trying to enjoy his Saturday evening, said it would come out in a few days. Now back to Christmas day...my girls (ages 4,6, and 8) lay side by side on the floor and I jokingly detect them. First girl...nope...not a robot. Second girl...nope...not a robot. Third girl...beep! Wait...try again...beep. Yep, after a trip to the doctors office with black plastic "National Geographic" metal detector in hand, and tons of giggles and laughs, I now have the most adorable x-ray ever...my baby with a quarter in her tummy after all that time! So every day, twice a day, we scanned her belly until another 2 weeks passed. I scheduled another doctor appointment and scanned her belly one last time. After a clear x-ray...Viola! No quarter...Hu? According to my hubby...she went potty just before we left and he forgot to check the toilet. So I now have before and after x-rays! And that is what sparked my interest in this hobby. My b-day is next week and my father is buying me a "big girl" metal detector and so I am now in need of a few basic rules. I have read some of the posts and I gather you should ask permission, but can someone elaborate on this and any other great newbie "Golden Rules"? I would appreciate any tips, advice, or the like. Thanks so much!

shadow0966

Sep 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX300,Tesoro Tejon
Re: MD "Virgin" looking for The Golden Rules...

These are the code of ethics (rules):
I will always check federal, provincial, county and local laws before searching. It is my responsibilty to "Know the law".

I will respect private property and will not enter private property without the owner's permission. Where posible, such permission will be in writing.

I will take care to refill all holes and try not to leave any damage.

I will remove and dispose of any and all trash and litter that I find.

I will appreciate and protect our inheritance of natural resources, wildlife and private property.

I will as an ambassador for the hobby, use thoughtfulness, consideration and courtesy at all times.

I will work to help bring unity to our hobby by working with any organization of any geographic area that may have problems that will limit their ability to peacefully pursue the hobby.

I will leave gates as found.

I will build fires in designated or safe places only.

I will report to the proper authorities any individuals who enter and or removes artifacts from federal parks or provincial preserves.
GOOD LUCK IN THE FUTURE OF METAL DETECTING

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250

That's a cool story . My wife used to babysit for a friend of ours that had a daughter that was probably 9 or 10 at the time . One monday morning they showed up & the mother said over the weekend the girl had swallowed a locket . The doctor said she should pass it but to check after she went to the bathroom to be sure . She did pass it after several days & was fine . I wasn't md'ing back then but if I had been I'm sure I would probably have checked to see if I could get a beep .

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage

Welcome Life is but a Dream, I'm a newbie here also, but I've found that the people here are very friendly, knowledgeable, and eager to help.

So on that vane, here's a link to print out a "permission to detect slip" that I found the other day, which may be of use: http://www.whiteselectronics.com/permissionprint.html

Like you, I don't have my detector yet, ("it's in the mail" they tell me) but, I'm trying to soak up as much as I can before it gets here.

Hoping all your finds, from now on, are not inside little tummys.

Bluezman

P.S. "Woop woop woop, it's what you make it." sorry, I just couldn't resist.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Just do not make hard work out of it--Enjoy it! Take those girls with you when you go and let them help.Don't know where you are located,but most city parks/schools allow detecting without permission.Some large cities do require a permit,usually $0-$5.We have close to 20,000 members,so chances are someone is fairly close to you that you might team up with the first few times? I like your username,good song from a good era.Welcome aboard and HH.

papa

Sep 21, 2006

Along with all the above advise,just remember,"The Golden Rule" and you will be fine.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

i saved that link bluezman, i hope it comes in handy for me also , thanks

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

life is but a dream ,, very cool story and i wish you luck detecting have fun !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread