Need advice/thoughts on aged dirt/mud covered object dug in California

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few months ago in California-- in an old mission town-- I dug up a VERY weathered metal plate or plaque. Quite heavy and I assume it is iron. Looks to be 3,000 years old because the edges are weathered to uneveness (kind of like a once nicely round milled copper coin becomes uneven and weathered over time), thus looks quite crude and not industrial machine-made-- at least not in its present state. It is also covered with aged dark brown muck: rust, hardened dirt, sand, etc.

It measures 6 and 1/2 inches wide, 4 and 1/2 inches high and maybe a quarter of an inch thick. ANYWAY.. I would love to be able to clean off the hardened rust/much to see if I can find any wording or design on it. But I am afraid by trying to do so, any wording or design will chip off with the rust and muck. Is there a way to clean off the much and still retain at least some design or wording if there is any??

Not sure what its purpose was.... a sign plaque? Top to a crude metal stove? I have even mulled over it being the heavy lid to an old iron safe box. Just from the description (sorry, no pic) does anyone have any thoughts on what it could be....or better yet, if there is a good way to melt away that hardened aged muck? Thanks!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Having hunted around a lot of CA mission towns , my guess is that you probably have a chunk of cast-iron cr*p. Age? Perhaps turn of century to 1850's. Commonly known as "junk", to go in the garbage can on your way out. :)

what town are you hunting in ? Any reales or buttons ?

OP
OP
C

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tom, I thought you were banned from this forum for metal detecting on the 18th green of the Pebble Beach Gold Course!

OP
OP
C

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh....... and the Pebble Beach GOLF course too!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tom, I thought you were banned from this forum for metal detecting on the 18th green of the Pebble Beach Gold Course!

oh....... and the Pebble Beach GOLF course too!

Coach ? not sure where this comes from But Not Cool imo

add to this Members do not get banned from here for things they do in their Private lives

And to that Members Private Lives are their Own.

If this is friendly Ribbing , he is aware of, I'm sorry !! if Not...

you need to apologize to Tom or expect the worst 8-)

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do expect an Explanation within the next 45 Minutes

OP
OP
C

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,
I happen to know to know the fellow I was replying to... he didn't know I was the original poster. Know him personally. And just for the record, he was never caught metal detecting on the 18th green in pebble beach.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You for the response !

I hope you realize Why I had to check.

As I said TreasureNet is not interested in Banning members especially not for something
they did Elsewhere.

We are also not a Clearing house for the personal History of Members, good or bad.

True or not, as Long as I and everyone here knows you were not Serious..

this is now water under the Bridge. :thumbsup:

Sorry to Hijack your thread

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
"coach-bedford", who are you ? Do I know you ? And .... no .... I know not what you speak of about pebble beach . This is a joke , or ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Oh ! Now I know who this is Jeff. Thanks for being a good moderator. I know this guy and he's just jokin' around. :)

OP
OP
C

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, and I actually should have been more cognizant that this is a public forum, and a response like mine to Tom can certainly come across as uncivil. So the moderator was just doing his job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread