Trapped in Santa Clara

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I find myself trapped down in Santa Clara for a number of days and I want to detect something while I am here, but everything seems to be new. Particularly the parks. There is a spanish mission here so there is history here, but everything is paved over or built on.
Does anyone know a good place to beep down here. I feel like a fish out of water as I am a country boy stuck in the city that I have never been to before.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yup. You summed up Santa Clara / San Jose well : pavement , sprawl , & modern high-rises . Maybe you'll get lucky and stumble onto some old town demolition .

Or you can knock on doors to search older yards . Or head to SF's old parks and greenbelts .

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe an opportunity to practice some coin shooting and jewelry hunting. I know there is a member here from San Jose who kills on gold rings.

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Proportional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Concrete jungle yes,but what was it before this?.....Orchards mostly,from the late 1800s until post ww2.someone had to pick all those prunes,or pears or cherries.up and down a ladder all day all week following the ripe and ruin.before Mexican migrants dominated that particular line of work I hear tell the teenage school kids picked as a summer job,schools even resuming the new year 2-3 weeks later than most to accommodate the prune fingered brats.So there sure as hell has got to be some spilled change beneath all them ghost trees.finding any patch of ground worthy of a stab is worth the effort. I grew up in Santa Clara and had to get creative from the get go.Look for older trees, if they're in someones yard dont be afraid to ask as most folks here are pretty friendly so long as you dont stink or have too much hair.In my first year detecting here I found amoungst tons of wheats..oldest being a 1920, a 1914 Buffalo,a few silver quarters,a 1933 token,and a 1921 s Morgan dollar,and just last night a 29 merc. Havent done to bad in the relic department either,but thats another story and I'm tired of typing.So good luck and HH if your still in town.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread