Poison Ivy & Metal Detecting - How do you clean your gear?

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a serious allergy to it. When I was a kid, I actually went into anaphylactic shock from it. I remember the doc strapping me down to the exam table and giving me a shot of adrenaline. I remember one time when I had first started detecting back in the 80's, my left hand swelled up so bad, I had to cut my wedding band off with some wire cutters. I cut my finger up pretty bad doing it, but it was worth it to get blood circulation back in it. They give me prednisone for a bad case,but I haven't had one in years. Anyways, be careful about digging around trees that have bare vines during the winter. Dead leaves,roots and the vine itself will give you nasty case. The plant oils will get on your shoes, clothes, and hands.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a serious allergy to it. When I was a kid, I actually went into anaphylactic shock from it. I remember the doc strapping me down to the exam table and giving me a shot of adrenaline. I remember one time when I had first started detecting back in the 80's, my left hand swelled up so bad, I had to cut my wedding band off with some wire cutters. I cut my finger up pretty bad doing it, but it was worth it to get blood circulation back in it. They give me prednisone for a bad case,but I haven't had one in years. Anyways, be careful about digging around trees that have bare vines during the winter. Dead leaves,roots and the vine itself will give you nasty case. The plant oils will get on your shoes, clothes, and hands.

I have it now. I get it really bad also, though this time around I haven't had any blisters.it is unbearably uncomfortable, and though I've learned to identify the plants, it somehow sneaks up on me if I hunt very dense brush.
it has always been my understanding that there really is no treatment for it. Calamine lotion, the pink stuff, does absolutely nothing for me, but I usually end up applying it when the itching becomes unbearable.

it really is amazing how much damage the oils cause to skin. I have had it so bad that you would swear I was a serious burn victim. It usually takes at least three weeks to subside and I'm always amazed when it leaves no scars.

drywasher

Feb 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FELS NAPTHA SOAP,

Poison Ivy Prevention
: Fels Naptha Soap has been used for over 100 years for the treatment and prevention of poison ivy, sumac and oak rash. My family has personally used it for over 10 years. If you think you have been exposed to poison ivy, oak or sumac, shower immediaetly with Fels Naptha to remove the resin from your skin. This will greatly reduce and in most cases, prevent any skin reaction to the poison ivy oil. Make sure to launder your clothes in some shaved or grated fels naptha (about 1/16th of the bar) to remove the resin from your clothes. Poison Ivy resin can stay on your clothes for over 1 year even if the clothes have been washed with normal detergent.

Poison Ivy Treatment: If you are exposed to poison ivy and you have a reaction, simply shower with Fels Naptha to remove any resin left on the skin and it will help to dry up the rash as well.

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There will be a run on Fels Naptha. Stores will be out of it. LoL. It is miserable to have it. When I was going to grade school they would not let you come to school if you had it. I used to pick the leaves and rub them on my arms. Hoping to get out of school for a few days. Never got it then. BUT, I get it now. I used to think the chiggers were bad, but that poison ivy has them beat!

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are all good stories, thanks for sharing everybody! The pains we go thru just to metal detect and enjoy our hobby!

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
I got it twice this year and have basically hung up the detector till it dies down. I tried everything both times and finally resorted to getting prednisone on both occasions. Bad thing is...when I had it I would be up all night itching and exhausted all day at work and then when I would get the prednisone, the itch would go away but the prednisone would keep me up all night. I had a hell of a time so I just hung it up till the weather cools and its not as prevalent. If you do a google search on it and look at the images that come up...there are pictures of people with big sacks of the fluid hanging off their arms and legs. Its totally gross. I don't get it like that but I can't imagine.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well i guess i am one of the lucky ones .. i am not allergic to any of the poison plants … I can roll in them and i get nothing …. Same with bee and hornet stings they hurt for about a minute then go away ..

Same with me. Oh I get rashes though. I'm allergic to petroleum products, and if I get into my work too much without staying clean or wearing nitrile gloves I'll break out real bad. Nope, I'm not allergic to PI, but I've had shingles TWICE. It didnt ache and pain me like the way they are exaggerating on the TV ads, but it took like a month to go away.

Wayfas4u: I recommend tall rubber boots, long sleeves, long pants, and of course, gloves. Also, use a prevention cream like IvyX ? Poison Ivy Prevention | GEMPLER'S

My wife gets PI rashes wicked easy, and it really puts a cramp in our style. I'm not allergic and she is. She uses the above methods and it really works well.

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice guys, I think I will put on a full 'body condom' just to prevent another rash outbreak!!:laughing7:

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Higgy, I understand what u mean, I get PI but my wife doesn't, so it puts a cramp in our style also!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a couple of things I'd like to add. I had never had anything more than a small bump or two when a teenager from it before. I would sit/lay in it while hunting in the woods. Just never bothered me until I was about 50+ years old.
In the winter, the heavier stems of the plant can be more potent than the green plant. I found out the hard way. In the '90s I was taking some parts out of an old gasoline pump at an old closed warehouse at the edge of town. There were vines of poison ivy/oak (can't remember which is which) growing all through the old pump. I accidentally scratched my wrist on one of the stems that was about 1/4 inch in diameter. A few days later my entire forearm and hand was just a mass of blisters. I still have a scar on my wrist about an inch long. The doctor told me that in its dormant stage during the winter, it is much more potent than in the spring/summer when it's green.
In the 50s, it was a common practice to wash with 'coppras water'. Not sure about the spelling. It is granular, to be dissolved in water, then you wash the affected areas with it. After it dries, apply Calamine lotion. One of my cousins and I used to go into the woods hunting. He got it quite often. That method was what the doctor recommended to him back then.
My sis was on a school field trip. They were on a farm-to-market road. They were walking on the roadway looking at something for their class. There was poison ivy/oak growing on the fence across the ditch from where they were walking. A breeze was blowing toward them. She was at least 15 feet from it. A day or so later she was in the hospital with her eyes swollen shut, legs, feet, and arms swollen and blistered.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it twice this year and have basically hung up the detector till it dies down. I tried everything both times and finally resorted to getting prednisone on both occasions. Bad thing is...when I had it I would be up all night itching and exhausted all day at work and then when I would get the prednisone, the itch would go away but the prednisone would keep me up all night. I had a hell of a time so I just hung it up till the weather cools and its not as prevalent. If you do a google search on it and look at the images that come up...there are pictures of people with big sacks of the fluid hanging off their arms and legs. Its totally gross. I don't get it like that but I can't imagine.
Prednisone is a steroid and they use it to treat a long list of ailments. The list of side affects are even longer! It used to come with a pamphlet that I swear was a mile long with the side affects :laughing7: Anyways it used to make me hold water all day, and was up all night having to pee and sweating so bad I would have to lay on the floor to keep the bed dry. It was still better than itching all night and having those blisters oozing!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FELS NAPTHA SOAP,

Poison Ivy Prevention
: Fels Naptha Soap has been used for over 100 years for the treatment and prevention of poison ivy, sumac and oak rash. My family has personally used it for over 10 years. If you think you have been exposed to poison ivy, oak or sumac, shower immediaetly with Fels Naptha to remove the resin from your skin. This will greatly reduce and in most cases, prevent any skin reaction to the poison ivy oil. Make sure to launder your clothes in some shaved or grated fels naptha (about 1/16th of the bar) to remove the resin from your clothes. Poison Ivy resin can stay on your clothes for over 1 year even if the clothes have been washed with normal detergent.

Poison Ivy Treatment: If you are exposed to poison ivy and you have a reaction, simply shower with Fels Naptha to remove any resin left on the skin and it will help to dry up the rash as well.

Naptha? Is that the same Naptha they use for Paint Thinning?

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Prednisone is a steroid and they use it to treat a long list of ailments. The list of side affects are even longer! It used to come with a pamphlet that I swear was a mile long with the side affects :laughing7: Anyways it used to make me hold water all day, and was up all night having to pee and sweating so bad I would have to lay on the floor to keep the bed dry. It was still better than itching all night and having those blisters oozing!

yep mr. b...made me sweat too. Like I said, between sweating, and keeping me up...making the choice between possibly getting poison ivy and having to take prednisone has made me hang up the detector for a while. I tried all kinds of things and nothing would do anything for it other than the prednisone. and now I read texas red's post that its more potent in its dormant stage and that almost makes me want to become a water hunter exclusively. I don't remember ever getting it in the winter though.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; The best stuff to use for cleaning or wiping yourself or your gear down is BLEACH. ALL hospitals use bleach to kill of ANY type of infections, blood, PI etc. Most brands of wipes sold carry the bleach type wipes. Carry them with you. If you can't find them just carry a bottle of bleach and a few rags with you. When done digging soak a rag and clean yourself and your gear. REMEMBER to wipe down your vehicle inside and out as most folks have a tendency to lean their gear against their vehicle and put the small stuff right in the back like your pouch, trowels, shovels etc.. The trick is to think of just how insidious these oils really are and just how fast they spread.
You lean your detector against the vehicle, the oil is now on it. Put your gear in the back and the oils are there as well. Get the point. :dontknow: At worst at least carry Alchohol wipes ok. Happy Hunting. PEACE:RONB

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Doug H; Thanks. I've had it. No Fun for sure. I learned to think like the oil does so I could quarantine it and then kill it. I always carry Bleach with me. ALWAYS. That stuff is insidious for sure. PEACE:RONB

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; The verdict is in. I researched several sites. They ALL came to one conclusion. BLEACH is best for "immediate" killing of the contact PI oils which is exactly what we are trying to do here. My sister and I use Lysol Bleach Wipes in the 20 count pack, ($4), and for heavier jobs like cars and shovels I use a bottle of straight bleach. EVERY site I read back me up on this ok. They also suggest "treatments" for various "different" stages or applications. You decide ok. Best Wishes. Happy Hunting. PEACE:RONB :coffee2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very kindly mr. Barker! Sounds like you've done your homework! Ironically i used bleach wipes for the first time on my gear just the other day, just thought it might work! You have confirmed that! It's good advice from people like you that makes Tnet such a friendly website!! I'm on a 'no more Poison Ivy' rant now...:-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread