Poison Ivy & Metal Detecting - How do you clean your gear?

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I metal detect in the woods, so I have been blessed with being susceptible to the rashes of poison ivy, oak, and sumac over the years, sometimes having a rash on my body in places I don't want to mention :tongue3:!!! I know how to control my outbreak with medication, ointments, Dermatologist visits, and just pure avoiding going near the plant. I know my search coil, boots, jeans, headphones and even cell phone all have come in contact with the sticky oil on the plant (urushiol), which can stay on anything up to five years according to my dermatologist!!! My question is how do you clean your gear at the end of the day? Bleach? Vinegar?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha...Its funny, because those places you dont want to mention are using the first places I get it..lol...Or behind my ear on my face

I Probably should keep an eye on this post, because i never clean my gear.

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's ironic Diggin, behind my ear on my neck is exactly where I have it, about the size of my fist - itched like crazy! I figured somehow the poision ivy oil got on my headphones and that's how I got it on my neck. Like you, I never clean my gear either other than an occasional wipe off.

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
clean with alcohol...glad I am not sensitive to poison ivy, oak, etc.

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
Where ever you have alot of sweat glands(Hot spots) you will find you get the Rash alot easier.As we heat up moving around in the woods we itch our hot spots .and we tend to have dirty hands or gloves on ...who thinks about it all the time.My wife can get the stuff just looking at it.Me I can touch it and Im ok as long as i dont rub it in.The best defense is to recognize the plants so you are aware when u are in it.They make some good scrubs my wife carries in the woods with her.She wipes down alot.Even so she has a nasty case on her ankles now from kayaking a few weeks ago....we walked threw it dragging the boats to the river I guess.Its getting cold ,atleast its gonna die off around our area soon.Cleaning your gear...I would use a mild detergent and water,or vinegar and wipe it down.Maybe keep a wet rag soaked with your solution of choice in a ziplock in the truck with ya when you head out detecting.Im interested to see what folks to fr the oils. HH everyone.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch those hairy roots also. Got it in the winter a few times.

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the tips guys! I like the idea of a wet rag soaked with my solution of choice in a zip lock bag in the truck! Good idea! Those roots are definitely something to watch also! I'm here in south Georgia where it can get pretty dang humid! So ready for cold weather:thumbsup:

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
Yes those darn roots can travel a long way too.There might not be a plant showing right there and there could be roots.Very Good point.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's ironic Diggin, behind my ear on my neck is exactly where I have it, about the size of my fist - itched like crazy! I figured somehow the poision ivy oil got on my headphones and that's how I got it on my neck. Like you, I never clean my gear either other than an occasional wipe off.

Now, I Routinely get a shot twice a year to help it out...its well worth the the copay knowing it starts clearing up in a matter of hours...Did creams before and tons of Predisone...but the one shot works instantly

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had it for fathers day , the shot helped but after a cool shower I would rub a paste of baking soda on ip until it dryer and fell off

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
baking soda? interesting! that's new news to me! Thanks for the tip!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i guess i am one of the lucky ones .. i am not allergic to any of the poison plants … I can roll in them and i get nothing …. Same with bee and hornet stings they hurt for about a minute then go away ..

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Having just recovered from Poison Ivy - which I initially identified as Poison Oak through lack of knowledge (never had it before and never had to know what it was) - This is also a topic of interest to me. Mine kept burning having tried typical stuff. But, Calamine lotion did the kill trick, first coating started stopping it, and after the 2nd day it was gone. Other remedies suggested to me included alcohol, so those swabs Red mentioned would come in handy. What did not work for me was the Benedryl stuff, or cortisone creams.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind... The oils from poison ivy can stay active on anything unwashed for over a year. So wash everything afterward.

HH

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent point Auriemma! My doctor said the oil resin can stay on boots up to five years! I've heard NOT to burn it either, runs the risk in inhaling into the lungs. I've also heard you can be immune to it for years, then one day have it. That's what happened to me, used to never bother me in my 20's, now I'm in my late 40's and we just don't get along!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent point Auriemma! My doctor said the oil resin can stay on boots up to five years! I've heard NOT to burn it either, runs the risk in inhaling into the lungs. I've also heard you can be immune to it for years, then one day have it. That's what happened to me, used to never bother me in my 20's, now I'm in my late 40's and we just don't get along!
.Yes but i am in my 70's and it still does not bother me...

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I used to get it when I was a kid probally 7-14...Then I thought I got over it..Then about 30, i started getting again, and have had it every year since

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to rub it on me and watch my brother get it.....

OP
OP
wayfas4u

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's funny deep seeker:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions