If you assume your late model vehicle has a spare tire, Think again!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a body shop owner, I've been starting to notice that some vehicles no longer have spare tires. They have a cheap a** air pump and a can of tire sealant. I pulled this one out of a total loss 2012 Cadillac CTS and we just finished up a 2014 Cadillac SRX that had the same setup.You lift up the carpet in the back where the spare would be,and there is a styrofoam insert with the pump. Most of the Hyundai Elantras are the same way, I'm sure a lot of Kias are the same way. air pump 003.jpg air pump 001.jpg air pump 002.jpg By the way, the power cord is already rotted with bare wire showing in several spots.

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that is true! Somehow I just can't get over it. In my mind, If I shred a tire,there is always a backup:laughing7:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
optional equipment now, american companies have to cut some things in order to keep their prices competitive. really want to see a good example of that, go to a appliance store and look at the different price points of different models of the same appliance.

BC

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sir yes sir. i couldn't resist, that commercial was playing on tv when i was reading your reply.. lol

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
sir yes sir. i couldn't resist, that commercial was playing on tv when i was reading your reply.. lol

Cant say that I've seen it.I gave up watching the boob tube about 3 - 4 years ago.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been in some situations where a spare would have been handy, but because of one reason or other, I didn't have one. I remember leaving the spare out of the pickup because of needing more room. I got about 15 miles from the office, had a flat, and no spare. Back then, I had no cell phone. They were just getting started. I had to walk to the nearest house and ask to use their phone. I called and had someone bring the spare out to me. What a hassle!
Yes, there are about as many different prices for the same thing as you can imagine. Everyone's prices are different. It really pays to shop around! I've found that I can buy a 6' HDMI cable for about $17 at Walmart, or I can order one online for about $6, shipping included. I do have to watch for quality. With a little research, I can save big money and still get quality. I can buy parts to build a computer for about the same price as a cheap computer in the store; but the one I build will have at least 3 times the quality of the store-bought computer. It takes time to shop, but I'm retired; no problem!! lol

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In 1981 I bought a new pickup and the salesman told me if I wanted a rear bumper, it would be extra! Cutting back on what we have come to believe is standard equipment has been going on for a bit now. As a side note, the gf told a salesman she did NOT want heated seats on her latest buy, and was told too bad....it WAS standard equipment on her car! I guess modern society has chosen comfort over practicality.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing quite equals having a flat tire and no spare. Or, forgetting to put the car jack in the trunk. I had a flat once, had a spare but no jack :( Knocking on stranger's doors for a jack.....

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a flat last night, I met my wife with at the Advance Auto Parts that she works at and we left my car there and took her car with the dog hiking, when we got back, I got in my car and took off and something did not feel right, I made it about a mile and felt and heard a tire rumbling I pulled in of all places a Auto Zone, I carry a cig lighter air pump, I pumped it up heard it hissing, had a big chunk of metal in the tire, went in the parts store and bought a plug kit, I could not get the chunk of metal out had no tools only a screw driver, went back in a bought a 3 dollar pair of pliers and pulled it out, it was a tire balance weight that was stuck in there, I plugged the tire while on the car laying in the parking lot pumped it up and left. The tire is fine as off now, if it had a round puncture wound I would feel better, but the hole was like a gash and a little bigger then the average tire repair. It was quicker then changing a tire.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep a tire plug kit and a pair of pliers in the trunk of each of my cars. Saves lots of time and money by doing it right on the spot. Plug kits are under $10. At the parts stores

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
in all my vehicles I carry two cans of tire sealer and a plug kit. no spare or jack,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread