Does your detector function properly in frigid temps?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All
I hit the ground this morn at 7am. Temp was 19° here in S.W.Ohio.
I was concerned how my semi-new ETrac would operate. (Note; my beloved Tesoro Cortez hates the cold. Screen fades and tones drag). Not so with the mighty ETrac! Screen was clear and tones sweet. I'm impressed.
Last year, I was also impressed by an F70. Screen stayed clear and machine was still blazing fast in 1° temps.
How well does your metal detector function in freezing temps?
Thanks n stay warm.
Peace

S

stefen

Four (4) reasons I left Ohio...

Low winter temperatures...
Humidity in summer
Heat...
and bugs...

Five actually....ever have a cow kick you when you grab a teat at 5 AM...

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to work my old ACE 250 in the winter during milder weather. I'd check out hills were families went sliding. At around -10 Celsius the batteries would cold die in about half an hour. The batteries were fine after they warmed again. I didn't push it past about -12 or so. Some guys wrap the brain box up and slip chemical hot packs under the wrapping. You could be playing Russian Roulette with your machine though. Not so much of an issue if using an old inexpensive back up machine.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sorry, I'm retired, I no longer have to go out in that kind of weather, so I have no idea if my machine works in anything below 40 degrees F.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well my old Garrett GTI 1500 was good in the cold temp's the cold never seemed to bother it .. And i had it out in some really freezing temp's….

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used all my machines in Temps as low a 20 & never noticed any issues.

I may be wrong but I think Lithium AA Batteries work better in the cold.
+ I never leave my detector in the Car Over night 'even when it's not cold.' I trust Few...

Davers

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How well does your metal detector function in freezing temps?

Pretty well, I think. Trouble is my digging tools don't work at all well in frozen ground.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only problem I've ever encountered with frigid temps is the effect on the batteries. A hand warmer helps there and in my pocket and glove ;)

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It's the batteries! The chemical reaction in batteries slows as the temperature drops. The screens on the high end detectors are more advanced and require less power so they hold out to lower temperatures. In cold weather use only top of the line batteries. Li batteries will probably hold out to lower temperatures. Frank five star.png hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread