Producing Treasure Hunting Series - need candidates and advice.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI..... Atlasman is a member here and deserves the same respect as other members ......

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have any idea how many of you people come onto the forums with this exact same spiel? Combining that with that non-stop flow of your compatriots who send messages to everyone who has a youtube channel dealing with treasure hunting. non of them ever want the truth, they want actors. They want the "tod hoffmans" who claim to be an expert but are nothing but giant frauds. Who cares, it makes good TV right? Personally, I don't care about being on TV but if I am, it's about getting paid. I'm going to do it for free so some producer can make a few $M selling the show to a network. Lastly, you are doing yourself a HUGE disservice using a gmail account. anyone can create any gmail account that sounds like a tv company. List your company you recruit for, or better yet an official email within that company web.

Not taking sides in these arguments either way

But I can tell you I have been on one tv show. And also was I. The works for 3 other shows. And for some reason all the producers for all 4 shows used various email accounts from hotmail to gmail. Never from the main station email account. Like TLC or ABC.

From
My understanding. Most producers are freelance and are not employees of the networks. And that's the reason for the generic email address

Bob

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
As was I in the second post on this thread.
Don......
Yea, and you see what information it got you. ZIP.
It's like someone in the shadows calling you to join them! Frank five star.png
111-1 profileblk.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not taking sides in these arguments either way

But I can tell you I have been on one tv show. And also was I. The works for 3 other shows. And for some reason all the producers for all 4 shows used various email accounts from hotmail to gmail. Never from the main station email account. Like TLC or ABC.

From
My understanding. Most producers are freelance and are not employees of the networks. And that's the reason for the generic email address

Bob

I'm not expecting a TLC or NG email account, but this is supposed to be a talent scout for a company that has been in the business for 30+ years. They MUST have a real email account within that talent company.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK, I don't like dealing blind, but here's one for your starter. It could be a great adventure based on an old story that is not to well known. The research is done and it would shoot well if you could gain the permits from Mexico because it is an estimated 10 miles south of Columbus NM. Frank five star.png
Boca TP-2 500.jpg
Boca map 500 -2 copy.jpg
I know the story and it would make a very dramatic show with the Jesuits driving the Indians to hide the silver bars in the cave. The methane level in the cave is actually killing them off resulting in a pile of dead Indians in the canyon at the base to the trail.---- Fast forward to a treasure hunter hearing the tail and researching it to the site of the cave. a group is formed and a hunt begins. searching the canyons for the cave and silver bars. Hay that might make a good honest show that would sell, even to the treasure hunters here. Just a thought, Frank five star.png

Last edited:

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not expecting a TLC or NG email account, but this is supposed to be a talent scout for a company that has been in the business for 30+ years. They MUST have a real email account within that talent company.

Here is the website for the producer that did the show I was on (invasion of the Christmas lights)

http://www.jonhotchkiss.com/wordpress/?cat=1&paged=3

All their emails all came from an aol account of all things. It is a trend I have noticed when dealing with producers. I was supposed to be on the Nate Berkus talk show which was on nbc. Never once did I get any communications that came from nbc. Even the plane tickets that were mailed to my didn't show nbc. Just saying it seems to be standard in the industry it's common to hide behind common email accounts rather than using the company servers

Bob

OP
OP
A

atlasman

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning! Just so everyone knows, I don't post in forums much because I know you don't sign up for sites like this to hear from people like me, and I only do when I'm looking for something really specific. We honestly don't know if our idea will work or not, so that's why I'm posting here.

Would love your help folks and private messaging me would be a big help since it goes right to my work email inbox. I see the messages quicker. To those that have reached out to me with advice - Thank You!

Our thought is combing history/treasure hunting with the latest in tech. X-rays, thermal imaging, sonar, the latest metal detectors - that kind of thing.

So the idea is cool tech, treasure hunting, history, the thrill of the hunt, the latest in cool tech/gadgets carried by a few people that are outgoing/not shy on camera that an audience would want to follow every week and root for. What we do is come up with the idea, try and find people that fit that idea and then pitch it to network. But if we can't find it in the real world, then we let it go.

In your opinion folks does that exist?

I will be researching/casting this idea for about another week, maybe two - and I'm not the type to endlessly post on sites like this. I just wanted to take a minute to try and clarify what we're thinking.

Thanks everyone. Either way - wish you well!

Mark

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish you luck. (The five paragraph rant about treasure hunting shows has been removed by me so that the mods can move on to more important reply removals.) :occasion14:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's all we need is another reality whoops I mean non reality show where overtop idiots doing back flips running around like they splashed icy hot in there underwear and are able to hunt spots only we wish we could find and then can say is it wasn't planted and have you ever notice that the finds are so clean and they have already predicted that this site they are hunting has exactly what they are looking for.No its not cologne its bullship.vanzutphen

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So in other words it sounds like you want to take the current garbage type fake show and make something that is even more ridiculous, although I will admit you'll have to try hard to beat American digger, or whatever they call it now. You won't find people who represent this hobby well, you'll want idiots who make up tacky sayings, jump around like fools, proclaim to be experts, but then have to talk to someone else to find values... which will be greatly inflated. Your show will last one season because by then the next Honey boo boo will hit the screen and most of your audience will be taken away. Please prove me wrong.

i was under contract before alot of those other guys to do one - I was supposed to do a water hunting show was offered one in 2011 and was supposed to possibly start filming in 2012 - i signed a contract for a year - but had it altered - which they did not like
I was told that if I could not provide the "WOW" factor that they would and I told them at the time I was finding gold & silver 4 out of 5 trips at that time and when I wasnt - one of my partners was or we would come up with a nice relic
i told them - if there was a time where we could not get something fantastic - that myself and others I knew - we could visit and show finds from the past
that had a wow to them - i also suggested we could do some returns
they pretty much put in the contract that I would shut up - only speak when spoken to and that the director and producers were gods - and keep all my ideas to myself unless asked

that being said - I have been contacted by other shows - and asked advice and questions -
though they dont seem to use any of it (and others i know that have been contacted) and that is why they are all failing - ive heard 3 of them being canceled (unless another network picks them up)
one is up for another season - actually friends of mine on it - but I can not talk about it
more than happy to offer any help to anyone that asks
have help 1000s over the yrs in this hobby (been detecting since 1975 at age 12) - by posts, emails, and articles Ive writen - Ive writen over 30 - anyone intersted in some lite reading - drop me a line and will send you a link to some of my articles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread