Steps to begin hunting

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net, you just need a metal detector and a digging tool to get started. The treasures we find are one piece at a time, not like in the movies where a huge treasure chest is found at the end. You need to hang in, you will have more bad days then good days. Keep reading the forums here, you will get plenty of advice by reading how other members here are going about treasure hunting.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends what you treasure. Fresh air, gentle exercise, history, an occasional coin or piece of jewelry. You're in luck. Get a detector and a digger.

The Lost Dutchman Mine, the Crown Jewels of Ireland, La Nocha Triste treasure - get a chair and sit here jawing about it because that seems to be as effective as looking. ;-)

If you want to locate a specific treasure: research, research, research. And it won't be off the internet, most likely.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read, dream, read some more. Make a budget for your magic wand~ read and research *plenty of threads on "What detector should I get"*. Order you magic wand and get your digger ready. Go into the front/backyard and practice then hit the areas *after you've read some more* that look like they may be hiding something cool. Enjoy the exercise and be patient. Luck to ya.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
In the beginning, you must set a target. That is it you want to do, go pick the parks, the beach, the waterways. This is important because it determines your selection of equipment.
Say you want to hunt basic items like coins jewelry in parks and yards. You would need a good general purpose detector, a probe, a small digging tool and a basic pinpointer. Next you need to do some research. go to the library and look thru the section on history of your area and note the location of old parks, picnic areas, the old swimming areas, etc. Also note where the rich have lived in the past to isolate some good yards to hunt.

The beach is easier. You will need a PI type of detector, they haven't changed much so you can start with a good used one. You will also need a sand scoop.

Cache hunting, that is looking for the more valuable treasures is a bit more complicated. It requires you to hunt thru the library, books by credible writer/researchers like Dobie, Terry, and a host of others. It also helps to use the internet to find maps and verify story lines like people, time, and places. After you decide on a story to track down, you pick out equipment like a 2 Box detector for deep targets, maybe a PI for for others, etc. A good shovel helps also.

Well this has been a basic sketch to start you thinking. Good luck on your choice, Frank five star.png
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Research is #1. Be a private forensic detective researcher of facts.Know the laws related to where you search and what you are trying to recover and possible claims against you.. Hunt with a reason, not just a story though if you can flesh out a story and it rings true all the better.
Depending on what you define as treasure you may not touch one for many years and what you will need depends on the what and where.
Telling anyone what you are after can be counterproductive if it the last clue they needed or follow you.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use T NET and youtube to research the kind of treasure hunting you want to do...Welcome to the best treasure hunting site on the net.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a thousand dollars or two, go to your local banks, and order half dollars by the box. A lot of members here on Tnet search for silver halves... among other treasures, then, when you are done, you can return the common halves to a "dump bank"...do this over and over, (its called stacking)....the guys in the CRH forum will be happy to help and guide you....good luck!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to your local beach..Locate a treasure chest..BAM! Done,,its that easy! :laughing7:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just like the other guys said, like Frankn and DFX Dave..research for what type hunting you want to do,,ie: relics, coins, etc...Then set a budget and do your research for your equipment, as there are a lot of GREAT starter machines for $250.00 and up..the sky's the limit. Think about what areas/spots/sites you have at your convenience to detect at, and make sure to check your local ordinances and laws regarding metal detecting in your area. And don't be discouraged when you dig a bunch of trash at first, that is part of the learning curve. You gotta dig trash to know what your machine is doing and you gotta swing swing swing dig dig dig...and the good stuff will come. You know the old saying..."your worst enemy is a blank piece of paper"...so get the ball rolling and if you have any more questions, jump back on and the T-Netters will be more than happy to help. I have just started back into the hobby this year, and I am totally ate up with it! It never gets boring, as it seems I get a little surprise every time out, just dug my second silver Washington quarter yesterday and I am STILL on cloud nine about it! So good luck, I hope you heard something that helps...ddf

OP
OP
A

adamn

Dec 2, 2010
All I can say is WOW! Thanks to everyone for sharing so much useful info. Defiantly going to do a lot of research and hopefully I'll buy a decent detector in the near future. Thanks again to everyone that posted on here.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure is not for the meek, be brave what ever you do.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
adamn , All I can add to the excellent advise given already is ENJOY this wonderful adventure ! The wide variety of categories here
at T-Net can educate you to many types of treasure hunting - whether it's Beaches , or shipwreck stuff , or Civil War relics , or
Bottle digging , Gold Prospecting , Cache hunting , pretty much whatever your "thing " is - someone here can assist you in going
after it . Have fun !

O

Old Silver

If you want to hunt for caches, research is your main objective. The actual hunt will be determined by what you find in old records, etc. Talk to old people. Bring up the subject of how people once buried/hid their money. You might be surprised at what they tell you. I guess it's too late to warn you, but this will get into your blood and you won't be much good for anything else. This doesn't really affect me, because I wasn't any good for anything else to begin with.:tongue3:

If Charlie P (NY) tries to convince you of a treasure hoard in his basement, don't fall for it. He has absolutely no proof.:laughing7:

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got started with a detector and a digging tool.................oh, and the pinpointer that came with the detector.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best advice I can give is listen to what has been said by my esteemed colleagues in this thread, but I'll reiterate some of it.

Read read read - study study study. Read printed treasure-hunting books and read all you can here.

Watch videos. Youtube videos from Nuggetnoggin and Beau Ouimette are entertaining and informative, and there are many more available besides these two.

If you will be into detecting, study your detector, and put some time in. I personally feel (not wanting to get into a debate about first detectors) that the Garrett AT Pro is the best detector a newbie can get. Why? Because its super simple to use at first, and you wont outgrow it too soon. Many seasoned detectorists love their ATP.

Above all, JUST DO IT. Don't sit around dreaming about it. Don't make up excuses not to go out. If you go fishing and never toss your line in the water, you will never catch a fish, right? Same goes for detecting. If you dont put a coil over it, you will never find it. DO IT.

Same applies to any other facet of this hobby. If you are researching caches and treasures, then do it. As with everything else in life, the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. Just look at a fine example of a recent banner find, just look at the awesome Pine Tree Shilling that was recently recovered by Ahab8. A perfect example of how thorough research can really pay off.

You got lots to do, so get going! :thumbsup:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would seem MD/Treasure Hunting is NOT an occupation, it is a hobby. The true treasure is the exercise, the fun, the people and dialogue you have on forums like this………reading the posts, there are good days and bad….research can bring you to more good days than not……luck is not a strategy……
There is much to learn that is freely shared…...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread