diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our friend Muddyhandz started a thread a few months ago titled "I Quit".....perhaps you could find inspiration and support on that thread.... If I was more computer literate, I would post the link to it here, maybe a Bronco or Dolphin fan can do it for me:dontknow:

Or you can check out the original "quit smoking" thread on here for inspiration-
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/e...treasure-net-smoke-out-november-1-2007-a.html
I quit in Nov. of 2006, so it's been 8 years almost for me. This was my 3rd (and happily my final) attempt, cold turkey each time. First 2 times I lasted about a year, so it's not hard to start back if you aren't careful. I did gain weight too after each attempt. It's a temporary thing though. Now if I could only get the wife to quit the nicotine. Actually she quit smoking cigarettes per say, but she still uses a vaporizer. The lesser of 2 evils I guess.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh boy....I'm battling this now, and with success, but only because I must quit and focus on getting into fantastic shape. Here was what turned me around, next year's planned adventure, this has provided the required motivation. So try this, plan a once in a lifetime physically challenging adventure, invest your money into it ahead of time, and ultimately put yourself in a position that you either quit smoking or lose your adventure and investment. Working great for me! :laughing7:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you go to 'I Quit!' thread, you can find a story or three from me.
I smoked for 40 years, at times I smoked 3 to sometime 4 packs a day of filter king Kool cigarettes. I quit many, many times. Several times for a couple of months; but always started again. There were even times that I actually prayed for God to give me cause to quit. I guess He finally heard my prayers! I got down with acute bronchitis. I was having it several times a year for a number of years. It took me over a month to get over it that time. It was so bad that I could just think about inhaling smoke and would start coughing. On Friday, November 29th, 2000, I left a job site about 4:30 p.m. and started driving back to the office. I lit a cigarette, and immediately started coughing. It hit my mind that I was one of, if the stupidest people who ever lived to continue trying to smoke. I threw the cigarette out the window and never smoked or lit another. As you can see, that was over 14 years ago.
Don't think that you can smoke one now and then and not get right back on 'em. My brother-in-law quit because of a collapsed lung problem. After about 7 years, he got to 'chewing' on cigars. Then a year or so later he began lighting them. After 12 years of no cigarettes, he started smoking again and continued until his death. No, the cigarettes didn't kill him, I don't think. His drinking was what killed him. His liver finally just quit functioning. He was 54 years old; the same age that his dad died of the same problem.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I smoked from age 13 to 20.
At the time I quit, I was working as an Inhalation Therapist at St Mary's Hospital
and saw enough there that I knew I had to quit!
I realized if they weren't in my pocket I would soon forget about smoking in a few moments
and just go about my work!
Thank god I was attention deficit! Lol! Quit cold turkey! That was
44 years ago! Best of luck!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Three decades ago, public outrage killed an automobile model (Ford's Pinto) whose design defects allegedly caused 59 deaths. Yet every year tobacco kills more Americans than did World War II — more than AIDS, cocaine, heroin, alcohol, vehicular accidents, homicide and suicide combined.

Approximately 443,000 people die prematurely from smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke each year.i According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 24,518 people died of alochol,ii 17,774 died of AIDS,iii 34,485 died of car accidents, 39,147 died of drug use — legal and illegal — 16,799 died of murder and 36,909 died of suicide in 2009.ii

That brings us to a total of 169,632 deaths, far less than the 430,000 that die from smoking annually.

As for the part about World War II, approximately 292,000 soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines were killed in battle during World War II, according to a U.S. Census Bureau April 29, 2004, report in commemoration of the new World War II memorial in Washington, D.C. An additional 114,000 members of U.S. forces died of other causes during the war, bringing the total to 406,000 people.

Therefore the claim — that smoking kills more people annually than in World War II or from other dangerous diseases and habits — holds up with the CDC and the Census Bureau. On top of this, another 8.6 million people live with a serious illness caused by smoking.i

The list of 599 additives approved by the US Government for use in the manufacture of cigarettes is something every smoker should see. Submitted by the five major American cigarette companies to the Dept. of Health and Human Services, tobacco companies reporting this information were:

American Tobacco Company
Brown and Williamson
Liggett Group, Inc.
Philip Morris Inc.
R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company
While these ingredients are approved as additives for foods, they were not tested by burning them, and it is the burning of many of these substances which changes their properties, often for the worse. Over 7000 chemical compounds are created by burning a cigarette, many of which are toxic and/or carcinogenic. Carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrogen cyanide and ammonia are all present in cigarette smoke, among many other chemicals. Over 70 known carcinogens are in mainstream smoke, sidestream smoke, or both.iv

It’s chilling to think about not only how smokers poison themselves, but what others are exposed to by breathing in the secondhand smoke. The next time you’re missing your old buddy, the cigarette, take a good long look at this list and see them for what they are: a delivery system for toxic chemicals and carcinogens.
Many of these chemicals are also found in consumer products, but these products have warning labels. While the public is warned about the danger of the poisons in these products, there is no such warning for the toxins in tobacco smoke.

Here are a few of the chemicals in tobacco smoke, and other places they are found:

Acetone – found in nail polish remover
Acetic Acid – an ingredient in hair dye
Ammonia – a common household cleaner
Arsenic – used in rat poison
Benzene – found in rubber cement
Butane – used in lighter fluid
Cadmium – active component in battery acid
Carbon Monoxide – released in car exhaust fumes
Formaldehyde – embalming fluid
Hexamine – found in barbecue lighter fluid
Lead – used in batteries
Napthalene – an ingredient in moth balls
Methanol – a main component in rocket fuel
Nicotine – used as insecticide
Tar – material for paving roads
Toluene - used to manufacture paint
Yikes!!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so the American Heart association & other Environmental propaganda Groups
who Collect donations by the millions say,

However there are healthy 90 + year old Smokers out there who have been smoking
since they were teens . or at least as heathy as anyone can be at 90+.

Sorry but I believe those totals are Doctored to the point if
someone is dying of Cancer they ask them if they were ever near a smoker
(Which Guarantees a yes) And a note "Smoker related Illness"

if they ever stamp out smoking they will either go after drinking or somethig else
they don't like & can collect $$$ for. or blame it on smoker related Heredity for continued lung cancer.

"Are you related to someone who once saw a pack of cigarettes in a store ?"
will be the new question. :BangHead:

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
so the American Heart association & other Environmental Groups
who Collect donations by the millions say,

However there are 90 + year old Smokers out there who have been smoking
since they were teens .

Sorry but I believe those totals are Doctored to the point if
someone is dying of Cancer they ask them if they were ever near a smoker
(Which Guarantees a yes) And a note "Smoker related Illness"

if they ever stamp out smoking they will either go after drinking or somethig else
they don't like & can collect $$$ for. or blame it on smoker related Heredity for continued lung cancer
Yes sure is the truth,,

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Three decades ago, public outrage killed an automobile model (Ford's Pinto) whose design defects allegedly caused 59 deaths. ​…… Yes but i really really liked my Ford Pinto , I sort of miss that Pinto...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think Nicotine kills certain Virus's strains also

fliermartin

Sep 11, 2014
southeast wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATgold and Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just quit last may. The tax on them had them up to $70 a carton and I just couldn't afford it any more. I quit smoking cold turkey but did use a nicotine patch for 3 days and used some nicotine gum for about a week just to keep me from falling off the wagon. good luck

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just quit last may. The tax on them had them up to $70 a carton and I just couldn't afford it any more. I quit smoking cold turkey but did use a nicotine patch for 3 days and used some nicotine gum for about a week just to keep me from falling off the wagon. good luck

it was averaging me about $6.00 a Carton rolling my own
when I quit I think it was something like 8 Months to a year of the 3 step Patches though.
but I was a 3 Pack a day smoker. I only stopped to Sleep, if I woke up unexpectedly,
I had one before going back to bed .

the last Box of Step 3 Patches I have are unopend and date 10-1-12

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the gaining weight thing I got lucky. Reason being I bought a heavy bag and a speed bag to keep my mind off of smokes. Walking on the beach also non stop. I was to tired to even think about cigs. I was 30 or 31 though.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not in the last 46 years, quit on death bed of stepfather at age 49 of emphysema....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three decades ago, public outrage killed an automobile model (Ford's Pinto) whose design defects allegedly caused 59 deaths. Yet every year tobacco kills more Americans than did World War II — more than AIDS, cocaine, heroin, alcohol, vehicular accidents, homicide and suicide combined.

Approximately 443,000 people die prematurely from smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke each year.i According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 24,518 people died of alochol,ii 17,774 died of AIDS,iii 34,485 died of car accidents, 39,147 died of drug use — legal and illegal — 16,799 died of murder and 36,909 died of suicide in 2009.ii

That brings us to a total of 169,632 deaths, far less than the 430,000 that die from smoking annually.

As for the part about World War II, approximately 292,000 soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines were killed in battle during World War II, according to a U.S. Census Bureau April 29, 2004, report in commemoration of the new World War II memorial in Washington, D.C. An additional 114,000 members of U.S. forces died of other causes during the war, bringing the total to 406,000 people.

Therefore the claim — that smoking kills more people annually than in World War II or from other dangerous diseases and habits — holds up with the CDC and the Census Bureau. On top of this, another 8.6 million people live with a serious illness caused by smoking.i

The list of 599 additives approved by the US Government for use in the manufacture of cigarettes is something every smoker should see. Submitted by the five major American cigarette companies to the Dept. of Health and Human Services, tobacco companies reporting this information were:

American Tobacco Company
Brown and Williamson
Liggett Group, Inc.
Philip Morris Inc.
R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company
While these ingredients are approved as additives for foods, they were not tested by burning them, and it is the burning of many of these substances which changes their properties, often for the worse. Over 7000 chemical compounds are created by burning a cigarette, many of which are toxic and/or carcinogenic. Carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrogen cyanide and ammonia are all present in cigarette smoke, among many other chemicals. Over 70 known carcinogens are in mainstream smoke, sidestream smoke, or both.iv

It’s chilling to think about not only how smokers poison themselves, but what others are exposed to by breathing in the secondhand smoke. The next time you’re missing your old buddy, the cigarette, take a good long look at this list and see them for what they are: a delivery system for toxic chemicals and carcinogens.
Many of these chemicals are also found in consumer products, but these products have warning labels. While the public is warned about the danger of the poisons in these products, there is no such warning for the toxins in tobacco smoke.

Here are a few of the chemicals in tobacco smoke, and other places they are found:

Acetone – found in nail polish remover
Acetic Acid – an ingredient in hair dye
Ammonia – a common household cleaner
Arsenic – used in rat poison
Benzene – found in rubber cement
Butane – used in lighter fluid
Cadmium – active component in battery acid
Carbon Monoxide – released in car exhaust fumes
Formaldehyde – embalming fluid
Hexamine – found in barbecue lighter fluid
Lead – used in batteries
Napthalene – an ingredient in moth balls
Methanol – a main component in rocket fuel
Nicotine – used as insecticide
Tar – material for paving roads
Toluene - used to manufacture paint
Yikes!!!!

Not going to argue any of your post, however, alcohol effects more people world wide than any other sustenance, and if you add second hand effects then it dwarfs all of its competitors. Point is, you have people and organizations who campaign against tobacco who drink like fish. My younger brother recently passed away, age 51, smoked a pack a day since he was young. Ironically it wasn't the tobacco that killed him, but rather it was his 12 beer a day habit, which is even disclosed in the final cause of death details. But here's the real kicker, people who knew him suspected it was his smoking, never once considering that it was his drinking. In my opinion, the same warning labels should appear on every container of alcohol and yet big money has prevented it. It's a very corrupt and hypocritical world out there....but let's face it, do any of us really need to be told of the dangers? Not really. We're all smart enough to know better.....I think most of us start thinking that we can quit anytime we want, and then on down the road it's an addiction just like anything else. And yet we knew better from the very start.....so let's quit blaming big tobacco, or Booze manufaturers. I point the finger at myself......"stupid!"

Last edited:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather quit for a long time years and years, before he died but :icon_scratch: He never put down that bag of hard candy !! :laughing7: I smoke about a pack a day since I was 13 I'd like to quit !! :BangHead:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think a lot of it is genetic. My wife's step-granddad died when he was about 92. He smoked and drank all of his life. My wife's dad and brother smoked and drank and both died at the age of 54 from liver disease. About 2 months before my wife's brother died the doctors told him that his liver was only a 'husk'.
I smoked for 40 years, quit 14 years ago. I seemed to be ok until about 5 years ago. Gradually COPD has really taken it's toll on me. I'm on oxygen at night, some in the daytime, use meds through nebulizers, and two different inhalers. One of my wife's uncles smoked the same number of years that I smoked. He quit at the same age that I did. He's now near 80 years old and still jogs! I feel that a lot of illnesses/diseases are hereditary/genetic.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Quitin's easy, I've done it hundreds of times.
Pack-pack 1/2 40 yrs. I wheeze. But I did after quitin for a yr. Smoking? Shoveling grains in a bin? 3 summers 6 days a wk.16 hr days in the hay fields? 10 years of road construction and coal mines? Take your pick, any ONE of them can do it to you.
Yes I should quit. We all should. Not many of us will. Good goin to those who have quit. Good luck to those who want to and do.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi -

60 a day smoker for 30 years. And weed.

Gave up with e cigs overnight. In feb.

Horrible withdrawals for one week.

Four months of starting to taste food. I realised how much tobacco is a poison.

Hit the e cigs very heavy and had a horrendous reaction, due to dehydration. Got very sick for a week.

Now my teeth are white, hate the smell of smoke, have an e cig for weak moments, and a Sherlock Pipe for Mary Jane!

And no, One or two cigarettes a day does not count as giving up.

Do ten day cold turkey with heaps of water and an e cig!

Best of luck to anyone that thats off them. And you will look younger after 3 months!

Keep you posted

Rory

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, this may sound silly, but what about a tnet support group? Seems to me the hardest thing for me is keeping an upbeat attitude and positive train of thought in regards to quitting. I think there's a lot to be said for staying focused on the objective and the reasons why. What a better way to stay focused then through the wonderful pursuits of our hobby and passions. Just a thought.....

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Support groups are an amazing thing in this world, as long as accountability is present, and morality and good judgement are sustained throughout.

I agree, a support system might be a good thing.
Here, here

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread