One of my fishing buddies caught a monster!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought maybe some of you guys might like to see this monster black drum my buddy Rodger caught Thursday. It weighed 82 Lbs. DSCF8788.JPG

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
man that's ugly!! ( the fish)

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ain't much of a fisherman, but I sure do love the Outer Banks!
GL&HH
Peace

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fish! I have been catching a lot of juveniles from the beach. How far out was he?

Last edited:
OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fish! I have been catching a lot of juveniles from the beach. How far out was he?
Probably 30 yds. of the beach on the pier. I was out there yesterday, and caught a bunch of small black drum along with some decent size bluefish and several undersize speckled trout. Check out the pier website and webcam , Bogueinletpier.com

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
ocean and river fishing nothing like it, yea 82lbs of fun

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to your friend on catching that beast.We used to fish for black drum under the bridges in Tampa bay. We used whole blue crabs for bait. The biggest we caught weighed 45 pounds...one day we caught 7 over 25 pounds.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
wow going back, Ybor City and deviled blue crabs and black drum
good eating

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to your friend on catching that beast.We used to fish for black drum under the bridges in Tampa bay. We used whole blue crabs for bait. The biggest we caught weighed 45 pounds...one day we caught 7 over 25 pounds.
Yeah, we would catch one occasionally while fishing for sheepshead around the Atlantic Beach bridge pilings. None were over 6 or 7 pounds.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought it was gonna say "Stripier".
Don't fish much anymore , but that is a Big Fish , not that knowledgeable on my Oceanic Fish types.
Are those Good eatin?
Used to fish off the Pier in Daytona Beach when I was a Pre-Teen , Very Fun but was embarrassed that I had to get Someone to help take the fish off the hook for me. (Never did master that Skill).LOL

Hey I know a guy who Loved to Fish who moved to the Outer Banks 10 or so years ago.
Do you Know "Party Animal" Steve Gordy? (Never Know.. It's a small world after all)
Davers

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought it was gonna say "Stripier".
Don't fish much anymore , but that is a Big Fish , not that knowledgeable on my Oceanic Fish types.
Are those Good eatin?
Used to fish off the Pier in Daytona Beach when I was a Pre-Teen , Very Fun but was embarrassed that I had to get Someone to help take the fish off the hook for me. (Never did master that Skill).LOL

Hey I know a guy who Loved to Fish who moved to the Outer Banks 10 or so years ago.
Do you Know "Party Animal" Steve Gordy? (Never Know.. It's a small world after all)
Davers
Yeah man, black drum are pretty good,at least the smaller ones are. As for the party animals, I know quite a few around here LOL! Don't know him though. Do you know where on the OBX he moved to?

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mmmmmm.....mmmmmmm that looks like a big ole fish fry!!!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah man, black drum are pretty good,at least the smaller ones are. As for the party animals, I know quite a few around here LOL! Don't know him though. Do you know where on the OBX he moved to?

Ill have to ask his brother what part he moved to.
I know his wife recently passed from cancer , maybe hes calmed down but last I heard a couple years ago he Still enjoyed
his " Cocktails " everyday.
He would likely be in his early 50,s now, he was/is about 8-10 years older than me & was the primary one for good or worse
to get me & his younger bro's into , Jack Daniels , Cheech & Chong & their Ways LOL, and got us into Led Zeppelin, Pink floyd , Aerosmith , & His Fav, Van Halen as He livedin So, Cali, for many years.

Sorry for my rant
but
One funny fishing story he told us was , he moved back to S, Cal, for a few years i n the late 80's & Said he would take his little boat (for 1 maybe 2 people) out into the Ocean & fish and one day he got so far out that a Coast Guard Cutter pulled
up beside him & told him to get closer to shore " there are Fish out here that will swallow you & your boat Whole"..
A Crazy Guy who is lucky to still be alive IMO.
Davers

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fished with Rodger today. He told me he caught another one Sunday. He was able to release this one alive. Estimated weight on this one was 60 to 70 lbs. He caught both fishing for speckled trout. Oh yeah, I probably caught over 20 trout today, only 3 were legal size. I need to be out detecting, but when the trout are biting, I can't stand it. I've gotta be fishing! Trout 001.JPG

Last edited:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fished with Rodger today. He told me he caught another one Sunday. He was able to release this one alive. Estimated weight on this one was 60 to 70 lbs. He caught both fishing for speckled trout.

REALLY ? What was he using for bait? Dont tell me bloodworms!

OP
OP
flatbutton

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! Green curl tail grub with a DOA plastic shrimp trailer. Killer rig on trout around here if your fishing from the pier. Apparently the big black drum like it as well.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Def, enjoy it while it lasts.
Plenty of time to detect.---(I hope!)
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread