The Morel Mushroom (Dry Land Fish)

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
North Idaho mushroom/morel season just starting. Here's a pic of a flower that I took today. Locally they're called Lambs tongue and for me they are a sure indicator that the ground is right for Morels. Do you folks have anything in particular in your area that works to help find those first early ones?

Attachments

• lambs tongue.jpg
    lambs tongue.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 831

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silverswede said:
North Idaho mushroom/morel season just starting. Here's a pic of a flower that I took today. Locally they're called Lambs tongue and for me they are a sure indicator that the ground is right for Morels. Do you folks have anything in particular in your area that works to help find those first early ones?

In Michigan those are called Trillium. My yard and the woods in my area are full of them and they're a protected species. Mine are about a week away from blooming and They are also a common morel season indicator here as well.

Jim

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
out of the 2500 or so known species of mushrooms, if i recall, only 50 or so are ediblem (I know it is fewer than 100). The best advice was already given - when in doubt, throw it out.

The second best method... let other people know where the mushrooms are, have them prepare/pickle them... AND LET THEM EAT FIRST. If they're still healthy... enjoy

steve

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
silverswede said:

Yep, that looks like Trillium. I have a red one in the middle of a morel patch; it blooms each year during morel season.

K-Man

Apr 12, 2007
marinette, wi
kinda like on road trip where that teachers assistent tried to plan a mass suicide at the end and he drank the poison first and everyone else said screw it so let the other person try the mushroom first and there still breathing eat away if he crooks i wasnt there

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
silverswede said:

We go by Mayapples here in illinois!

xstevenx

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
That's a real taste bud tingling post there, NS! 8) Terrific photo of a grandpa White Morel too! :) I'm gunna tour around a little in one of my old Morel spots to-day, now that you've reminded me it's time again. Better too early than too late, I always say! Actually I've been planin' on checkin' to see if the Crappies are in yet, so now, I've gotta do both! ;D

SilverSwede and Jglut, thanx boys for tellin' us about the Trillium (lambs tongue) as a confirmed Morel indicator plant! 8) Tons of them grow up here in Ontario and they are protected BUT I've never looked for Morels under or in the Trillium leaves and beautiful flowers. So, I will NOW check there, because of what you put in here on TNet!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Man, I LOVE this place! :) 8) :) Oh ya, one other thing, for the cautious people who've posted here. I've always taught folks to learn only one mushroom at a time, at least when you start off. That, is SO easy compared to confusing your brain with trying to remember too many new data bits and bites, about a complicated subject. K.I.S.S. :) Morels, fortunately are one of the Easiest of all the shrooms to correctly ID! Once you've picked a few different colored ones, you'll never pick a poison one if you make sure each one you pick is a Morel, even BEFORE you pick that thing. ;)

O.K. A question or two NS. ::) For the many I'm sure, who might also be wondering... Do you cut your Morels or pull them? and #2, where did you get that screen name? :)

Hope you score your first ones of the year real soon, buddyman! I'm thinking, strongly, armed with my new knowledge from here, I certainly will be! ;D

Thanx again fer the fine post dude!

yer bud,

lb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread