Got Me a New Digger!

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Well last night I found my new digger. I have been wanting to get a Lesche 40" Ground Shark for sometime now. However I just couldn't see paying $50.00 for a shovel and $10.00 for the shipping for buying off the internet. There are no shops here that would sale such an item so I was looking at Wal-Mart, Lowes, TSC and other places for something that I might find. Wal-Mart had a drain shovel for $20.00. The blade is 13 and 3/4 inches long and 5 inches wide. The shovel is 42" long overall. It had a rounded tip, but I wanted a pointed tip.
I took a flexible ruler and made a line across the blade where the straight edges start. I made another line an inch above this line. This new line was 2 and 3/4 inches from the tip.
I then found the center of the blade and marked it at the point of the blade. I then took the ruler and made a line from the edge of the 2 and 3/4 inch line to the center at the tip. I did the same on the other edge.
This gives me a nice angled point with plenty of blade.

Next I am going to take a cutting torch and cut the blade along the angled lines. I will then place the blade on a grinder to shape it up better for a nice even angle. I will then take a rat-tailed file and make a serrated edge on one side. Then I will take a file and sharpen all of the edges of the blade.
I will then make a leather pouch for this shovel.
This will give me a nice shovel that I can use for metal-detecting and I have $40.00 extra that I can spend on getting a pin-pointer.

I will try to get pics of the finished product as soon as I am able.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SwampHunter, I have heard of so many different types that a person can buy in the USA, but in South AFrica, you make your own ;D I think that as long as the blade is hardened steel and can handle wear and tear without breaking, you have a great tool.
I wish you all the best in your venture.... Hey maybe your tool will also be on the market sooner or later.

I just use a garden trowel and a small pick that I made from a long pin punch..... ::) It works.

God bless
Peter Gill

Ima Swinger

Apr 8, 2007
Porter, Texas
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 - VibraProbe
Now see.....that's what I'm talkin' about. Making your own tools, whether out of necessity or fun.
Sounds like great fun. That'll make the hole digging a lot more meaningful. I hope you have a little THer to pass it down to.
Great hunting to ya !!!

Ima Swinger

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Swamphunter,
If you put a torch to it, you might take the temper out of it, and the softened point won't last long.
You will have to re-temper it, to make it tough again. Maybe you can find someone near you that has a bandsaw that cuts with coolant added. That should preserve the temper. I have a shovel similar to what you described. I got mine at a hardware store, and it was called a trenching shovel.

I like the idea you have to make a better point for digging, sounds like it would work great! If it works good for you, maybe I will try doing it to mine.

Good luck!........&........Happy Digging!

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have seen the shovel you're talking about at Walmart, and it would make a fine digger once modified. However, I agree about putting the heat to it, as it will remove the hardened temper and it will bend or break in no time.

Happy Hunting / Night Stalker

bruizr

Feb 4, 2006
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, 'big bud' by bounty hunter, aqua vision
you can re-temper yor blade after finished cutting by making a fire with wood or charcoal, inserting the blade in the coals for several minutes until metal is near glowing hot then dunking it into a bucket of cold water till completely cool. that is how metal is tempered.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With all the time and effort your going to put into it before its done I would have just payed the $50 and been detecting already. Ive done alot of things like that before trying to save a few $. I find that alot of times my time spent is worth more than a few $.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread