Has TNet ever organized an annual hunt/ event?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize members of TNet are world wide and this would be a huge undertaking. But has TNet ever sponsored a member event?
Americans would love to find Roman relics and coins, as European's would love to find Civil War relics and early US coins.
Travel alone would be a massive expense for members. That said, what about country or state wide events. Has this been done? If not, why?
Your thoughts please.
Peace

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize members of TNet are world wide and this would be a huge undertaking. But has TNet ever sponsored a member event?
Americans would love to find Roman relics and coins, as European's would love to find Civil War relics and early US coins.
Travel alone would be a massive expense for members. That said, what about country or state wide events. Has this been done? If not, why?
Your thoughts please.
Peace
There have been several TreasureNet meets so to speak that members have put together, but none sponsored by TN itself..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
cincinnati-kid, the answer to your question, is that "the devil is in the details". For example, I belong to a particular forum specific to Calif. hunters. And this very idea has been bandied around for those of us in these geographics. However, any spot that is bound to be good to hunt (ie.: the opportunity to actually find old coins), is always fleeting. Because BY DEFINITION, any "good spot", is bound to already be pounded hard by anyone in that area. Doh! So sure, I suppose something like meeting a beach would be an alternative eh? (and would have plenty of room to spread out, etc...). But how boring would that be, to ply the dry sand looking for modern losses ?

One time though, a bunch of us on this forum DID try what you're suggesting, and we all descended on a certain park, in a certain city, for a big "forum hunt" at a park that was known for giving up silver coins. About 20 persons showed up. And it turned out to be a big fiasco. Why? Because even though there is no specific rule that said "no detecting" at this city or park, yet ....... guess what happens when 20 persons show up, all on the same giant field, swinging detectors? Sure as sh@t, some passerbys start asking questions. "Gee what are all those people doing?". And before long, someone comes to break up our fun. See the psychology at work ? 1 or 2 persons are completely ignored. But stick 20 or 100 doing the same thing, and ....... you just make yourself a giant eye-sore.

So to arrange a hunt in a spot where there's truly a chance at oldies, and yet can accomodate 100+ t'neters who'd show up, is next-to-impossible. If anyone here had such a spot with easy and prolific oldies to choose from, you can bet they'd already be hunting it.

Perhaps in Europe, where any plowed/cultivated field has been in continuous use for 2000 yrs, then yes, they can do rallies "just anywhere".

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ha, sure :) Well then those of you who want to do such a thing, go ahead and organize it :) Remember:

a) It must be a spot with chances are old coins (native/natural un-planted) showing up. Not just a boring dry sand beach, etc... Like .... do you know anyone with a virgin ghost town ? A virgin stage stop ? A virgin scout camp dating to the teens/'20s ? etc...

b) Next you must secure permission for 200+ T'neters who read the post/alert, and want to come. Or if it's a public spot, and needs-no-permission, then ...... you gotta wonder if "200 hunters" will merely raise the eye-brows of some kill-joy, who .... all of the sudden figures this constitutes "disturbance" or "alterations", or "taking and removing" type verbage. I'm sure if you floated those type words past enough bored desk-jockey bureaucrats, they'd be sure to come up with the "safe answer" of no. But knock yourself out and see what they say.

c) Hence a private land is probably the only place you'd pull something of this size off. Hence certainly you know someone with a virgin stage stop or ghost town or-the-likes. Right ?

d) Next you're going to deal with the details of admittance fees/registrations, parking, over-night camping, Q&A's, porta-potties, insurance for the land-owner, etc.... Right ? Piece of cake, right ? Have at it.

Clubs have done this on a smaller scale. We did it via my club in my city, when a member got permission to hunt at a country picnic site (1920s to 1940s) on private land . The member could *certainly* have simply hunted it all himself, but instead, chose to open it up at a club hunt. So ~15 or so of us descended on this scenic little country grove. And everyone found a few silvers each , a few buffalos, and some wheaties by the end of the day. But to do so on a national scale? (which is essentially the scale/scope of T'net), no, I don't think so. You'd have to have something of the size and scope to handle such a size. If you have such a spot with oldies, and want to be an organizer of such a feat, go for it :)

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you've seen
[h=2]TNet Member Hunts[/h]
here.

I would guess too many legal issues could crop up if the TreasureNet name was
directly involved.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I understand all concerns mentioned.
But I notice big detector companies like ML and Garrett have held events and have overcome "the legalities". I even think with TNet fully behind such an event it would be much easier.
The location, as Tom in CA mentions, may be a problem. If not a beach.
I just thought it would be fun to meet the folks we daily/weekly/monthly respond to.
Peace

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the last 5 years there has been a Treasure hunters picnic every spring on the east coast of Florida, the last 2 years it was held off the Treasure coast. There was probably 30-40 TreasureNet members there..

There are events where TreasureNet members attend and events that TreasureNet members help put on, but don't look for TreasureNet to sponsored one, there is just too much involved....

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CK, I have met 5 Tnet members to date, but it was something we all decided to do on our own. If it wasn't for this forum, we probably would not have had the chance. You can make your own hunts/meets and use the resources afforded by the forum to do so. The member roll and profile pages can help get you started. The " Treasurenet By Location " section should point you in the right direction.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

cincinnati-kid: sure, agreed, it would be fun. Ok then, are you going to organize it? Pick a site where all of us have potential for oldies. :laughing7:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For the last 5 years there has been a Treasure hunters picnic every spring on the east coast of Florida, the last 2 years it was held off the Treasure coast. There was probably 30-40 TreasureNet members there..

Last year was a fun event, even Bob Marx attended. Hope they do it again this year.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, Tom in CA, I neither have the resources or locations. Besides, I doubt a man of your stature would want to visit Ohio. We're dealing w the Bengals. ;)
Peace

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, Tom in CA, I neither have the resources or locations. Besides, I doubt a man of your stature would want to visit Ohio. We're dealing w the Bengals. ;)
Peace
I use to live in Marion Ohio, Fri & Sat nights was in Columbus on high street to party....

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH, I remember "High" Street well. My sis graduated from OSU in the late 80s. The weekend road trips up there were always great! Although, do to excessive drinking back then, I've surely forgotten a few. ;)
Peace

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
A few years ago a former member organized a hunt in Texas, even provided list of motels
nearby. Wife and I signed up and later were greatly disappointed to learn the whole deal had
been cancelled. Don't know why exactly but it was TNet related. The lady who did all the
hard prep work quit posting. So I would not advise using this forum to socialize with fellow
TNetters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread