Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's possible that the new member, looking for information on a specific coin for instance, doesn't notice the the thread that popped up in the search is very old.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a thread once, that someone lost a ring on Ft Laud beach. I was so excited, that I might have a chance to find someones ring and return it.
So I mew mew mewed and was ready to go search, when a nice member advised me, the ring was lost, like 4 yrs ago! LOL! :BangHead: :laughing7:

I probably already found it and it's sitting in my safe deposit box! :laughing7: (that's what I tell myself..... :laughing7:)

There's a lot of great info, imho, in old threads, I just have to remember to look at the date of the op.

reale bill

Feb 8, 2007
I have to agree about the 1265X....probably the best no nonsense detector i've owned. (and i gave it away to a neighbor's kid who was interested in getting into detecting.)

O

Old Silver

Maybe write a program that will pin a message on threads when they turn one year old, informing people that it's an older thread.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does "pin" mean? ;)
Finally, another windows user!
Peace

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't need more rules, just a little common sense and courtesy. If you like to dig through years of old threads, read all you want, just don't reply. Its really that simple.

As I stated, it violates no rules as long as new post pertains to the original topic of thread.....

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe write a program that will pin a message on threads when they turn one year old, informing people that it's an older thread.
It has a pin that is the date…The date is the pin …. How many pins do we need …

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O

Old Silver

It has a pin that is the date…The date is the pin …. How many pins do we need …

People were saying new posters were missing the date. The pin I'm talking about would be harder to miss.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People were saying new posters were missing the date. The pin I'm talking about would be harder to miss.
Silver thanks for the suggestion but we have about 700,000 threads. Members are not breaking any rules by posting on an old thread so its not really an issue...It can be handled on a case by case basis but as stated no rules violated.

O

Old Silver

Silver thanks for the suggestion but we have about 700,000 threads. Members are not breaking any rules by posting on an old thread so its not really an issue...It can be handled on a case by case basis but as stated no rules violated.

Cool.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've posted a couple of times to a thread that was more than a couple of years old. It's easy to miss the date unless you're constantly watching the dates. I can't recall which threads they were; but I believe I got a reply from the OP on one of them!
Also, a couple of times I've posted to a thread that was dated current as of the last post, but before that, it was several years old. Then the last poster and I realized that we had posted to a years old thread! lol Don't really think it hurt anything. How can it hurt if someone posts to an old thread?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Biggest issue with old threads is that a reader today does not always look at the date of the post and assumes it is a current post. I've seen members asking questions of the original poster on a decade old resurrected post when the op hasn't been active since the time of the original posting. I always look at the age of the posting before replying or questioning.

I think you just about nailed down the problem with dragging up an old post.
Some of the posters are long gone and some replies are like beating a dead horse.
They are interesting to read, but most have lost there relevance and cause problems when resurrected. TH is evolving and better info can usually found in a newer post. Hay, that's my side of the coin! Frank

coins_0003 T 5 peso_edited-2.jpg

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn, what exactly is the coin pictured? It's detail is great!
Thanks
Peace

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you just about nailed down the problem with dragging up an old post.
Some of the posters are long gone and some replies are like beating a dead horse.
They are interesting to read, but most have lost there relevance and cause problems when resurrected. TH is evolving and better info can usually found in a newer post. Hay, that's my side of the coin! Frank
Frankn … What are you talking about you say TH is evolving …. But you need the old threads to help you out .. You have been using the same equipment for 100 years ..:occasion14:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line is it violates no rules to post on an old thread, but it does violate our rules to attack someone because they posted on an old thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread