Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all.
IMHO, any thread, however old, that contains relevant information, should not be criticized if/when revitalized. Especially concerning metal detectors.
If a "newbie" has a question from a thread in a previous decade, answer the question.
Will threads on Minelab Etrac's, White's MXT, Garrett's ATP, Tesoro's Cortez', XP Deus, etc., be condemned when I post in 2020? I hope not...
Peace

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I like a lot of the old threads i go back now and then and read them..

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of the "old" threads are new to me. So I enjoy when people repost on them. It doesn't matter how old a thread is to me.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There you go i just put up a old thread from woodland detectors ..

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Biggest issue with old threads is that a reader today does not always look at the date of the post and assumes it is a current post. I've seen members asking questions of the original poster on a decade old resurrected post when the op hasn't been active since the time of the original posting. I always look at the age of the posting before replying or questioning.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
In reply to DonDigger...maybe the op left after nobody helped them out, I always try and help out the n00bs to our hobby, though nowadays its almost pointless due to the fact that soon the only places anybody will be able to detect are private property..or become a nighthawk and play the sneak game.

BC

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I see the flaming alot on many sites I belong to for reviving old threads. I think a revival is what we need from time to time. I certainly hope when I revive one I don't get rocks cast my way!!!:laughing7:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Biggest issue with old threads is that a reader today does not always look at the date of the post and assumes it is a current post. I've seen members asking questions of the original poster on a decade old resurrected post when the op hasn't been active since the time of the original posting. I always look at the age of the posting before replying or questioning.

This^^^^^^.

I almost always forget to check the date on a thread before I reply. There is good information in some of the old threads, and that is why they are still there for everybody to read. But in my opinion there is no need to post a reply or comment in an ancient thread and resurrect it where it confuses everyone.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This^^^^^^.

I almost always forget to check the date on a thread before I reply. There is good information in some of the old threads, and that is why they are still there for everybody to read. But in my opinion there is no need to post a reply or comment in an ancient thread and resurrect it where it confuses everyone.

Most necro-posters aren't adding relevant information to an old question, they are just giving a "me too" story or asking for a personal reply from a "member" who hasn't logged in for years. 90% of these posts are useless, and as mentioned above only serve to confuse other members who think it's a modern thread.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The term for resurrecting old threads is called "thread digging" and in many forums it is frowned apon for many of the reasons stated.
For forums I've moderated the only reason such threads would be allowed to re-surface where when the author of the new post in the
thread had something relevant to add and made their point while pointing out that the thread is OLD. Moderators here most likely have
the same discretion for "dug threads" and the ability to bump them back into obscurity~ as well as warn the digger that such things
are not appropriate.
Forum Guidelines here state:
When the purpose of the original post has been fulfilled, the thread should end. If you want to talk about something else, start a new thread in an appropriate forum.

I read old threads for information myself and sometimes there are some fun ones that'll get bumped back up. Any problems should be taken up with the Mod's.
My thoughts.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe a graveyard for old threads then is needed then any bumping would not violate the unwritten laws of boards around the world:laughing7:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, just some common courtesy should suffice and moderation to boot offenders. Some places set up archives but those take time to build and are a pain to negotiate. Easier to just let sleeping threads lay and purge occasionally~ as this site does do.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, just some common courtesy should suffice and moderation to boot offenders. Some places set up archives but those take time to build and are a pain to negotiate. Easier to just let sleeping threads lay and purge occasionally~ as this site does do.
When the purpose of the original post has been fulfilled, the thread should end. If you want to talk about something else, start a new thread in an appropriate forum.

If members are making replies to old threads that pertain to the original post then they are violating no rules, the rule above means you can't revive an old thread and take it a totally new direction.....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
My self i like to look back at old post's .. to see if much has changed …. And as far back as you can go to see if the questions and answers are just about the same……They are….And if most still have the same attitude they had at one time ……. And of course the know it all's never change they could be wrong and still think they are right…………And to see if a lot of the old members are still around … And see what they said some time back….I must like that word and .. Some people say get rid of the old post … Some say say it should be against the rules to look at old post's why ??? If they do not want to see a old post don't look at it … Don't complain & cry about it ….

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy I get where your coming from and agree.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
We don't need more rules, just a little common sense and courtesy. If you like to dig through years of old threads, read all you want, just don't reply. Its really that simple.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread