Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All.
I recently "dug" a handle to a broken spoon or fork. Break is at neck, so can't tell if it was once a spoon or fork.
I now know utensils were made from melted coinage in the U.S. from 1600s - late 1800s. World coins of that age seem to have been, .750 - .925(sterling). This handle tests as silver, yet not as strong as .925?
The style leads me to believe it's of Victorian era?
A discernable makers mark it evident. It reads; J.Sylvester. I've searched a bit, yet no results, other than he/they were silversmiths in the late 1800s.
Do you have knowledge of coin silver or this makers mark?
Could this possibility be pewter, but confuse an acid tester?
Thanks All...
Peace

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Pewter is usually very brittle, and seems like it will crumble in your hand, I have dug some pewter utensil handles and they have no resemblance to silver. If it looks like silver it's most likely silver considering it's from a utensil. If there is any evidence of copper, or peeling silver that means that it's plated. Most likely coin silver. I found part of a coin silver spoon, the place was hunted out and the piece of spoon was in the bottom of a hole someone already dug lol.

Here is part of a monogramed colonial silver shoe buckle that I found, I love how silver never tarnishes under ground, all I did was rinse it with water. The silver smith is from the 1740's and I was able to find out who the guy on the monogram was, he lived exactly where I found it and was a priest from Ireland.

The monogram read, "S.P. to G.R."
Coinman123,

IMG_20141107_164923.jpg IMG_20141107_164936.jpg IMG_20141107_165049.jpg

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello All.
I recently "dug" a handle to a broken spoon or fork. Break is at neck, so can't tell if it was once a spoon or fork.
I now know utensils were made from melted coinage in the U.S. from 1600s - late 1800s. World coins of that age seem to have been, .750 - .925(sterling). This handle tests as silver, yet not as strong as .925?
The style leads me to believe it's of Victorian era?
A discernable makers mark it evident. It reads; J.Sylvester.
Peace
… Cinci…… It is like this my first name starts .. J … my middle name is .. Sylvester .. so that makes me J.Sylvester … But sorry to say to you i did not make silverware ...

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks coinman123. Handle is definitely not plated. No corrosion at all. I will soon figure out this posting pictures thing and post one.
Keepy... May I now reply to you as Sylvester? ;)
Thanks guys.
Peace

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks coinman123. Handle is definitely not plated. No corrosion at all. I will soon figure out this posting pictures thing and post one.
Keepy... May I now reply to you as Sylvester? ;)
Thanks guys.
Peace
If you like i don't mind..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread