Getting my son started in Treasure Hunting

JKR

Nov 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 8 yr old son has been obsessed with Treasure Hunting since he 1st saw Indiana Jones a couple years ago. He reads books about lost treasure and is fascinated by the Knights Templar . I want to take him on a real hunt for lost treasure somewhere in the United States. Even if we find nothing I just want him to experience a real hunt. I have no idea where to start though. I bought a couple books on lost treasure in the U.S but my biggest concern in the safety of the hunt and location. Can anyone throw out any ideas for us to get started? Thank you

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A metal detector and a park can be a treasure hunt. It's all about the search.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wilcome.PNG :hello: Forget the big treasure hunts as he'll just want to find stuff. As Pong said, a local park or tot lot will get the ball rolling.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many things come to mind when you ask this.
First, put yourself in an 8yr olds mind. When I was 8, I found treasure in our backyard and surrounding woods.
If you are planning a trip, alot is to be considered.
Second and foremost, I agree w the others. Get him a metal detector and head to a park, field, your yard, etc., initially. You then, just might want a detector for yourself.
GL
Peace ✌

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grand son is 8 and I got him the little Bounty hunter kids MD- its a good start and will hit on stuff 4-6' down--
We have a large family reunion at our pool/cabin so I buried about 50 items --Quarters, dimes, sac-dollars, etc also M-box cars and other stuff I had previously detected. Got out the detectors and let the kids have a ball---now the G-son is here at the pool all summer and often takes his MD and goes and finds stuff around the yard. good fun and he is learning the game///
Keep in mind that an 8 year old is often not strong enough to dig in hard ground with your tools--he needs a short narrow shovel // Perry

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
It sounds like both you and him will have a lot of fun. Keep in mind, you will most likely not find some huge treasure but maybe interesting items and an occasional great find. I recommend starting in parks and such, then when he gets older and after one of two years of metal detecting you should try some older places.

Just my thoughts,
Coinman123,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread