Newbe-Depth Question?

go4gold

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2007
Northern-Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX-M6
I just recently started detecting(approx.6 weeks). I purchased a Whites M6. I have had much luck in finding almost $40.00 in change at local parks & schools so far. My question is why are all the coins within 4 inches from the ground surface. I even found 3 Indian head pennies 1895,1900 & 1902 & they were only about 3" down. Is it just my location(northern Illinois). I ordered the Whites Super 12 coil & now I dont know if I will even need it if everything is going to be close to the top. Dale

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
coin depth is a tricky subject. a lot of people will have different opinions. i think it has to do with the type of soil you are hunting in. in grassy fields around here, old targets are usually pretty deep, but in contrast, in the woods old targets are rarely over 5 inches. then of course there is that spot that just defies all of the rules. i wish there was a clear cut answer to this question but im not sure there is.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turn the sensitivity up, the discrimination down so you just properly accept nickels, be liberal with any notches, ignore the icons (the deeper you go the less accurate they are in labeling objects properly) and dig all good signals. You'll get a lot more trash, but you'll find deeper coins.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
go4gold said:
I just recently started detecting(approx.6 weeks). I purchased a Whites M6. I have had much luck in finding almost $40.00 in change at local parks & schools so far. My question is why are all the coins within 4 inches from the ground surface. I even found 3 Indian head pennies 1895,1900 & 1902 & they were only about 3" down. Is it just my location(northern Illinois). I ordered the Whites Super 12 coil & now I dont know if I will even need it if everything is going to be close to the top. Dale

A high percentage of finds are 4.0 or less. I found $8.84 in clad yesterday alone. Guess what...90% were 4.0 or less, get used to it! But the larger coil hopefully you understand will go deeper. But will not be good in high trash areas!!! I use a small coil all the time, I hunt clad see my numbers? I look for those coins 4.0 or less!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions