Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I entered the Great Southern Beach Shoot Out held in Daytona Beach 4 years in a row, I stopped only because it is no loner held. Had a blast every time, last time walked away with $700 in cash prizes.

I used Fisher 1235x because of its feq shifter giving me the ability to dial out interference from other detectors case to me....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I did one and it showed me that it was a waste of my time. I am one that likes to detect alone or with a partner, not in a crowd of detectorist. I think it's the lone wolf in me. Frank
STILL LIFE-0003 wolf.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Frank said plus my only speed is s-l-o-w! Not a plus in a competition hunt.

Last edited:

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people really like the competition to show they are the best hunters and the recognition it gives among the participants. Prizes are nice also.

For me it does nothing as it is like fishing in a barrel. Our club's annual hunt buried about a grand in silver, mostly dimes. I found my share but I
would have more satisfaction finding a wheat penny in decent shape.

Showing off an old coin or piece of jewelry creates more interest than telling about a hunt.

When I was young I used to play tournament chess and traveled to various cities for the competition. I suppose that is the same as the competition hunts.
I could have just enjoyed the game without the competition but at that stage of my life I felt the need to compete.

The important thing is that the hobby is enjoyed no matter how it is done. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone.
Even with the frenzy of such events, seems like it would be fun to try.
Peace ✌

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I did it once. It was an experience..

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro does seem to be the preferred machine for competition hunts.
Beep n dig?
Peace ✌

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro does seem to be the preferred machine for competition hunts.
Beep n dig?
Peace ✌
I liked the Fisher 1235x better, has more freqs to choose from....

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH, notice you have a Troy.
I've been reading a bit on Troy machines. Seems they were of quality build. Still desired too.
Why did production stop?
Thanks
Peace ✌

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH, notice you have a Troy.
I've been reading a bit on Troy machines. Seems they were of quality build. Still desired too.
Why did production stop?
Thanks
Peace ✌
Had a troy, the list is just a list of detectors I have owned and used.

When I first started I bought some used detectors to play with trying to learn more about the hobby.

I currently own 2 excals, a Sov gt, a Etrac and a fisher 1235x. ..

I don't know when production stopped, I know the first Troy X2 was made by Tesoro and the Troy 3 and 5 were made by Fisher if I remember correctly.

If I had to guess I would guess production stopped between 2005 and 2008, but that is just a guess..

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
give me a break a troy shadow seem to me first Texas product made it in all brands it was there money maker ...

liftloop

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If I remember correctly, When the Troy shadow first came out I remember reading in a review that it was a rehatched Tesoro unit, But that was a while back and of no special interest to me. Just a vague memory.
Frank five star.png

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I did one and it showed me that it was a waste of my time. I am one that likes to detect alone or with a partner, not in a crowd of detectorist. I think it's the lone wolf in me. Frank
I did a seeded hunt years ago it was not my type of thing never did one again… I would say i am like … Frankn … i like to hunt alone.. I hunt buy myself .. i am not one that needs other people .. Some people have the need to be around others …But that is not me ..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeded hunts isn't a need to be around other people, it is just another style of hunting is all, on the Great Southern Shootout top prize was $5,000 with about $12,000 in total prizes not counting the dozens of detector prizes as well as the other prizes ..

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Seeded hunts isn't a need to be around other people, it is just another style of hunting is all, on the Great Southern Shootout top prize was $5,000 with about $12,000 in total prizes not counting the dozens of detector prizes as well as the other prizes ..

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk
Well if i could get the $5000.00 i could put up with others for a short time.. But i never seen prizes like that on the ones i saw and the one i hunted.. From what i read and heard there are ones that cheat out there and put junk down for others to dig or check to slow them down..

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keepy, I never thought of someone doin' that.
Retrieve a silver or token that designates a prize, and replace with a meaningless target. How twisted some must be to do that!
Great info.... Or idea for the unscrupulous.
Peace ✌

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My two bits - Troy Shadow X2 (only the X2) was a reworked Tesoro Silver Sabre µmax. I attend two competition hunts in my area each summer and really enjoy them although I thought I wouldn't the first time I went. I Use either the Tesoro Silver Sabre µmax or the Tesoro Conquistador µmax in these hunts with completed satisfaction. The Conquistador has a frequency shift feature which can be useful if you're too close to another machine that gives cross talk. Over the last few years I've won 3 different detectors, gold coins, silver rounds, plus you get to keep the coins you recover along with misc. other prizes so the hunts have definitely been worth my time, plus you get to rub shoulders and compare treasure hunting stories with many in the hobby.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread