Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All.
I, as many, have recently experienced inclement weather. I wish you all, the best!
I finally have time to detect tomorrow and I will take advantage.
This said, it will be raining here and I've not had my ETrac in any type of moisture. I have two rain covers/jackets. One is unable to resist dust, let alone rain. The other is hand made of quality materials but untested by me. Others have said no damage occurred.
One way or the other, I will detect.
Question: Would you trust a rain cover on your favorite machine?
Thanks
Peace ✌

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I used a simple zip loc style plastic bag, works perfect. Sometimes a throw a little duct tape across the zip part just in case and always take a spare. I go this route because I don't trust the traditional cover.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do exactly what 1320 does. A jumbo heavy duty zip lock bag on the control box of my M6 and a small bag over the screen it fits snug. I use duct tape to seal the zip part and I poke my headphone jack thru the bag and plug it in then tape over it. I'm happy with it so far. Unfortunately they don't make zip lock bags for me too! Lol! Oh well I won't melt!

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly what I did w my first machine. ;)
Thanks
Peace ✌

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been pondering the idea my self about my new tdi pro need a dry sleeve for it
I could chest mount and hide it under my army rain poncho..

liftloop

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine work well enough for me to get back to my vehicle if it starts to rain. That's all I ask.

MikeG

Nov 30, 2014
Up North
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Euro Ace 350, Makro Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did like the others and just used a clear plastic bag secured with an elastic. The control box was still dry after three hours but it was just a slight drizzle coming down. Not sure how that would hold up in a major down pour.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it looks like rain, I always carry a plastic sandwich bag with me to protect the screen on my Whites Vision. Works great and it's cheap.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the others. I go the baggie route. If you use the zipper kind, you can just zip it part way and it stays on fine.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you I have used both the Minelab cover, but mostly the Sunray, and neither appear to be anything special, and I have never had any issue hunting in all types of weather over the past 12 years. And when I say all weather, I mean rain coming down pretty much as hard as it can, and me hunting through it. At this point I'm so confident in it that I'd probably take $100 bet to dump a bucket of water over my detector. Years ago when I was a dealer my distributor told me the housing is made to be water resistant, but Minelab doesn't market it that way.... likely because it would just add to their problems. As for truth to it, I have to believe it given what I've been through. Rain in the forecast only makes me pack my rain gear, the detector always goes as-is. I'll also say Grey Ghost headphones are pretty kicka$$ too, because they've also been there every step of the way. Sunray probes, not so much, ruined at least 3. :laughing7:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
All these years i have hunted and i have hunted in the rain more than once and i never used a rain cover … My detectors got pretty wet and i never had a problem with them… I think that rain cover is just a item they push to make more money… But if it makes you happy buy one … i never bought one and i never used a baggie ..

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry a roll of plastic wrap from the kitchen and a cheap role of electrical tape. If it is raining I wrap the F4 with the plastic wrap and use a 4 inch piece of electrical tape to ensure the wrap is secured. The F4 does not like rain. My F75 LTD SE has a set of covers and I trust them for a little drizzle but not for drenching rain.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!
I double covered The ETrac with Kco's ETrac rain/dust cover and the ETrac rain cover I got from the custom cover maker I've previously mentioned. They work well together, but I wouldn't trust either alone just yet.
And, Iron Patch, is there anywhere to purchase a SunRay pinpointer for an ETrac?
Peace ✌

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same as most others. The minelab cover is never in my kit when I need it and I always have 10 or so gallon heavy duty ziplocks on hand for whatzits & samples so have used them more than the cover. On two occasions I've had to hike back to the jeep ( an hour) in pouring rain and not a leak to be had. Ziplocks ain't pretty but they are battle proven!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!
I double covered The ETrac with Kco's ETrac rain/dust cover and the ETrac rain cover I got from the custom cover maker I've previously mentioned. They work well together, but I wouldn't trust either alone just yet.
And, Iron Patch, is there anywhere to purchase a SunRay pinpointer for an ETrac?
Peace ✌

Only used. They have been discontinued for a while. I personally think it's better to go with the pro-find, and I actually sold a brand new Sunray probe I had to do it. The Sunray is great, but expensive to fix, and I just was not interested in dealing with it. That said, I bought this plastic gizmo off ebay to mount the Minelab probe similar to how I had the Sunray, and I am very happy.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 65
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 69

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All these years i have hunted and i have hunted in the rain more than once and i never used a rain cover … My detectors got pretty wet and i never had a problem with them… I think that rain cover is just a item they push to make more money… But if it makes you happy buy one … i never bought one and i never used a baggie ..

or a coil cover Baa hum bug the "Keppy" replied...

liftloop

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just another reason I love my AT PRO. :laughing7:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gotta love my at pro...let it rain !!!

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly why I have an ATPro. I love it.
But it can't hold a candle next to The Mighty ETrac! The ETrac must be kept dry!
Peace ✌

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread