Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a couple of weeks old, but I don't think it's been posted here. At least a search didn't come up with anything readily.... What do you think?

Gettysburg Museum selling all its Civil War artifacts to the public | KSL.com

Gettysburg, PA — Guns, swords, spears, cannons and much more will all be on the auction block when more than a thousand artifacts and memorabilia from the Soldiers National Museum in Gettysburg.
"It gives the public the opportunity to take some history home with them," said Bonnie Jacoby, who works for Gettysburg Heritage Enterprises which owns the museum.
The man selling that history is the museum's owner Max Felty. He said he's seen dwindling numbers in recent years because of other companies with more modern attractions. "They're really doing a fantastic job. The amount of money that we would have to put in to try to bring it up to speed to be competitive isn't really feasible," said Felty.
It gives the public the opportunity to take some history home with them.
–Bonnie Jacoby​

The museum closed earlier this month. The auction will take place this Friday and Saturday at the Inn of Gettysburg. Small wooden figures are among the items being sold, which were created by the museum's former owner who's got some show business history of his own.
The museum will also sell life-size replica cannons as well as a soldier's journal with a handwritten notation from the day President Lincoln was assassinated. There are also artifacts from the Korean War, both World War I and II as well as the Vietnam War. Regardless of what era, this auction is bound to pique the curiosity of any history buff. All together the items could fetch as much as $500,000.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI; That flat out BURNS me.!!!! How can this Nation allow the artifacts of such an historical event to go to pot like that.??? It is flat out wrong.!!! :BangHead:
This is a National disgrace for sure. What say you folks. Maybe WE here can get something, "anything", going to stop this sacrilege.!!! I'm no archie but this flat out galls me. :angry4::angry4: I fully believe that there ARE places that MUST remain protected at ALL costs. Gettysburg is one of them. It is "HALLOWED" Ground, PERIOD. I can't remember the last time I've gotten this mad literally and I'm a Yankee.!!!
Maybe We can do a write in campaign to those in charge to designate this museum and it's possessions a National Landmark or Historical Site or something. I'm so mad I just can't think right now. This to me is WAR.!!!! :angry5: I'm going to stop for now because I'm so ticked I can't think straight. I'll await your replies Folks.
NO PEACE:RONB :angry4:

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
unfortunately the auction was two weeks ago

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess that's true according to their website...its a private museum...you can still buy stuff straight from Gettysburg..
https://www.gettysburgmuseumofhistory.com/product-category/gettysburg-artifacts-for-sale/

Seems wrong to do that in my eyes, but the almighty $$ makes people insane.

From that site, if somehow this statement makes it OK.

All artifacts in the section were recovered from The Gettysburg Battlefield before it was a National Park. Everything is 100% authentic from the area stated and is legal to own.

Mike

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not so sure if Mr. Felty 's museum was affiliated with the National Park or not. I don't think it was, his collection was one that he showed off for fifty years according to what I have read. If it were the Nation Park's collection that was getting sold off, I too would be outraged but I think this was a private collection that this man made money on by opening a museum. Some folks on here could probably do likewise with their own artifacts.So if Mr. Felty was about to go belly up in his venture, he has the right to sell out. After all it is a private collection. I personally do not sell anything I find, but have donated pieces to certain historical affiliations. Some here do sell what they find, if not all they find...their choice. Does it sadden me to see the Felty museum close and be liquidated....of course.Should archies blast him as they often do to us...probably.Of course all this is just my opinion, and I have been known to be wrong, just ask my wife.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sucks but if it is private museum not much can be done about it... It would be like me or anyone selling their private collection.... What is a shame is another museum doesn't buy it...

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes sir it is all his artifacts he owns them and he can do what he wants to do with them ….. Just as you can do with what you own …. To me if he makes some good money with the sale more power to him…..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
HI; That flat out BURNS me.!!!! How can this Nation allow the artifacts of such an historical event to go to pot like that.??? It is flat out wrong.!!! :BangHead:

Maybe We can do a write in campaign to those in charge to designate this museum and it's possessions a National Landmark or Historical Site or something. I'm so mad I just can't think right now.
Sure because we do not like what he is going to do with what he owns….. Lets take it from him and give it to the government to display … Then we can all become Commies… Come on Barker it is his not yours not mine and for sure we do not want some Museum to own it …. Then for sure it will disappear...

bofusmosby

Apr 28, 2011
Tampa Florida
Detector(s) used
Many many different ones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My one concern would be if some of the items that he has (is) selling were donated items. I would be very upset if I had donated some items to a local museum, only to find that they were being sold to the highest bidder. As far as other museums go, yes, they sell and trade among themselves all the time. They will be up in arms to hear of a collector selling their finds, but they are just as guily of doing this.

I plan on making some donations very soon to a few of our local museums, but I want it in writing that if they ever decide to trade these items off, or sell them, then they will be returned to me.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt there were any donated items, this was pretty much a "tourist trap" privately owned museum. A good portion of the museum was made up of small dioramas made by the old actor Charley Weaver [Cliff Arquette] when he owned the museum. The last time I was in this museum several of the items I could identify as reproductions, although they were not marked as such. I don't think there is much to get bent out of shape about here.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All i can say is I hope these items are bought by true collectors that will preserve the history or acquired by another museum where everybody can enjoy them.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Folks; I understand that these items were Privately Owned. Thing is that most of these items were recovered DIRECTLY from the Gettysburg Battle Field. To me I do not believe the Owner researched his options out very well. I believe they could and should have been bought out by another Museum or even the National Parks or the Government where they would be placed on display and given the proper respect they so richly deserve. I guess the only hope now is that maybe they will open a new museum and place these relics on display there and that those in possession of them will properly donate them with the condition that they be protected from this type of tragedy EVER happening again. Bottom line for me is that Gettysburg "IS" Hallowed Ground and to me this is a sacrilege. I await your replies. PEACE:RONB

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one is more interested in preserving history than I am. I am a longtime member of several Gettysburg and Civil War preservation groups, and have made donations for the Gettysburg visitors center and museum, and Seminary Ridge museum as well as other Civil War preservation efforts that I find worthy, so I put my money where my mouth is. That being said, there was really not that much of great historical interest in the museum in question. Most of the items were definitely not recovered directly from the battlefield at Gettysburg, there was a motley assortment of generic Civil War items along with reproductions and items from other periods in American history. All apparently bought on the open market for the museum. There were also the handmade dioramas already mentioned. There were a few historically significant items that will hopefully find homes in more noteworthy museums. I visited the museum several times beginning when I was a teenager, and it will have fond memories of visits with my family, it is kind of a shame to see it go. Unfortunately most of Gettysburg is turning into more of a Ghost hunting venue instead of a place for those interested in its true history, and many of the small museums, gift shops and attractions are closing.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see nothing wrong with Selling the Stuff,
as long as it wasn't donated by someone for the purpose of display.
and as long as it wasn't stolen from Relic Hunters , or other private citizens
in order to now turn around and Sell it.

to me it beats putting the stuff in boxes,
and storing it away to rot like all the stuff in the ground is. :(

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even items that are donated are sold, in some cases. Your donation could help with a display,sold to buy rarer items, or sold at some point to help finance the museum so it can keep the doors open. I'm not sure how often it happens! That's why I like the on loan idea.

How many civil war items are there? Do you want every one of them in a museum? The Ideas and history or more important than the Items. Unless it's something really rare, or one of a kind.

I think anyone passionate about something should contribute to what they want. By getting private funding, donating items or their time.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even items that are donated are sold, in some cases. Your donation could help with a display,sold to buy rarer items, or sold at some point to help finance the museum so it can keep the doors open. I'm not sure how often it happens! That's why I like the on loan idea.

How many civil war items are there? Do you want every one of them in a museum? The Ideas and history or more important than the Items. Unless it's something really rare, or one of a kind.

I think anyone passionate about something should contribute to what they want. By getting private funding, donating items or their time.

Depends on the orginal Donors thoughts I suppose but if it's sell Or hide Away.

Sell of course.

Even in Private hands it has the Ability of being Shared, and in some cases more Chance.

For example. Some Museums charge $5.00 or more to enter.
And even So it's Don't touch.

That item in private hands, would be seen by Friends & Family of the owner Free of Charge, unless the Owner has mental greed issues :tongue3:
and has a chance of reaching someone who Cannot afford
to go to a Museum & in some cases may even be available to hold in isomeones Hands.
Maybe even Children at a School.

I'm all for Everyone who wants to own historical Relics owning them , Except
people who think things like this is a good idea

raiders_of_the_lost_ark_warehouse_scen_450.jpg

Last edited:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way it sounds to me is the owner sold his private business, he was having trouble paying the bills so he sold out, whether he started it from nothing or bought it already furnished, it was HIS! If I wanted to sell my business (if I had one) I surely would not want anyone or The Gov. telling me I can't because someone don't think it's right. Jmho.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If one were to read the newspaper articles, he would find that the majority of the museum was housed around toy carved soldiers and dioramas that only depicted Civil War subject matter. While there was mention of a diary, some swords and bullets, there was also many replicas and "just period" pieces that cannot be tied to any particular battle. Felty even said that one thing that the museum lacked was a lot of provenance.Here is a quote from one article, (QUOTE)"While the Soldier's Museum is housed in a building that served as a Union general's headquarters during the battle, many of the artifacts inside have nothing to do with the Civil War and don't date from the period."(UN-QUOTE)....I think we should be able to get over it.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
If one were to read the newspaper articles, he would find that the majority of the museum was housed around toy carved soldiers and dioramas that only depicted Civil War subject matter. While there was mention of a diary, some swords and bullets, there was also many replicas and "just period" pieces that cannot be tied to any particular battle. Felty even said that one thing that the museum lacked was a lot of provenance.Here is a quote from one article, (QUOTE)"While the Soldier's Museum is housed in a building that served as a Union general's headquarters during the battle, many of the artifacts inside have nothing to do with the Civil War and don't date from the period."(UN-QUOTE)....I think we should be able to get over it.

Well all the stuff for sale right this moment says its from the battlefield during the civil war, so I don't know where the newspaper got that info, unless of course the website is BS.
I really don't care either way, aside from it basically being a cemetery..the actual battlefield.

This quote from their website says they have provenance.

Quote.
All artifacts in the section were recovered from The Gettysburg Battlefield before it was a National Park. Everything is 100% authentic from the area stated and is legal to own. We carry only authentic Civil War artifacts. All have been authenticated by The Gettysburg Museum of History. We offer museum documentation on all Civil War artifacts and relics sold by us. You will receive a document verifying the items authenticity..end quote.

I'd just like to know if the items for sale are actually from the battlefield from during the war like it says. Because if it is...I'll buy some things, at least I'll know it won't be left to rot in a museum basement somewhere.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread