What do you think of the At Gold

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello MackDog.
Since you already have an ATpro, will gaining a few more khz with the ATgold suit your needs? Or are you beefing up you Garrett arsenal?
IMHO, I'd look at other machines.
Peace ✌

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello MackDog.
Since you already have an ATpro, will gaining a few more khz with the ATgold suit your needs? Or are you beefing up you Garrett arsenal?
IMHO, I'd look at other machines.
Peace ✌
Love the pro but hate digging so many bottle caps. I was wondering if the Gold would cut down on this. Also was wondering about gold jewelry. I've been finding some with the pro but am I missing some

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there, we all miss gold. I too have an ATPro and enjoy it. But I would never consider an ATGold.
Many better machines at same price level.
GL
Peace ✌

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Gold and the reason I got it was because of where I live here in California, Close enough to the hills to detect up there for nuggets.I had a little bit of a learning curve at first but now I can pretty much call out what I am going to dig before I dig it, haven't used the pro so I can't compare between the 2 of them. Bottle caps are pretty easy to discern what they are with the Gold although some slip by. As for jewelry My total for this year has been 3 gold rings,3 gold pendants 3 silver rings and 2 silver pendants. Nugget count 0 but not for not trying just difficult area to find virgin ground that hasn't been pounded.The coin count so far is over $400.00 to date since owning the machine.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mack what are you running your discrimination at? On the Gold there are 3 modes all metal then 2 discrimination modes I run the disc 1 mode on the Gold at 30 to discriminate out iron but in all metal I don't discriminate at all.

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mack what are you running your discrimination at? On the Gold there are 3 modes all metal then 2 discrimination modes I run the disc 1 mode on the Gold at 30 to discriminate out iron but in all metal I don't discriminate at all.

I run the Pro in all metal zero disc. SO far this year 5 gold rings, 1 Gold pendant. 9 or 10 silver rings, bunch of silver earrings, pendants and odds and ends. Now for bottle caps I well into the 1000's.

AtulVajpayee

Dec 6, 2014
India
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is very good investment and it is also profitable if you investing their money in right direction after doing better analysis to make better profit in future. Coin hunting as well as investing in Gold jewelry are also profitable. You also try gold mutual funds, gold exchange trade fund and gold stock for better investment.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mackdog
If you run at pro in pro mode zero...then turn iron desc.up to 35 you can clearly hear the,"grunt-flute-grunt"generated by bottle caps.A few will trick you but the vast majority should be id'd
that is my expierience with at pro

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mackdog
If you run at pro in pro mode zero...then turn iron desc.up to 35 you can clearly hear the,"grunt-flute-grunt"generated by bottle caps.A few will trick you but the vast majority should be id'd
that is my expierience with at pro

Yes this should help a lot that is what I was getting at when I asked, I run my Gold at 30 iron disc and it lets you know which are caps but some can slip by. Corona caps get by a lot, don't know why. Maybe different metal composition in those caps. Unless you are going to go Gold nugget hunting I don't think you would need a different machine the higher frequency isn't going to change anything you might just want to find what other pro users have their settings at and play around with different settings until you find the sweet spot that you like your machine ran at.

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

billyjoe42

May 10, 2007
Placer Co, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, White's M6, Gray Ghost Amphibians, Sun Ray Gold, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Gold gives positive ID on most bottle caps. I run Disc 1 @ 38, still catching a tiny gold test ring. AM mode is a nice feature for prospecting raw gold. This machine serves me well.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My At GOLD does pretty darn good, especially when I have the iron audio on, I am currently running in AM mode with disc set at 25 to 30. it usually tells you that it is a bottle cap. I don't have a Pro and can say nothing about the gain or loss except the diff between saltwater and fresh water hunting. I can't do the saltwater beach thing but you can. I just wonder if You are maximizing the Pro to its abilities in this area. these others who have one should know. there is still the occasional cap that gets thru but the vast majority are ruled out (if I so choose not to dig them). for most of us, we under utilize the abilities of the machine or machines that we own.

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My At GOLD does pretty darn good, especially when I have the iron audio on, I am currently running in AM mode with disc set at 25 to 30. it usually tells you that it is a bottle cap. I don't have a Pro and can say nothing about the gain or loss except the diff between saltwater and fresh water hunting. I can't do the saltwater beach thing but you can. I just wonder if You are maximizing the Pro to its abilities in this area. these others who have one should know. there is still the occasional cap that gets thru but the vast majority are ruled out (if I so choose not to dig them). for most of us, we under utilize the abilities of the machine or machines that we own.
I have a Whites COinmaster GT and it will totally discriminate out the bottle caps. Went to a field full of them and didn't dig one cap, but was able to find lots of coins in between them. It just doesn't have the depth I want or need.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the AT pro and an AT Gold. I use the Gold when relic hunting since it has a fast recovery, smaller coil, higher frequency and all metal mode option. Today for fun, I took the Gold to an old high trash park and was able to pick out a few silver coins among the high density of metallic trash. In experiments with the Gold, I’ve been able to separate coins 1/2” away from each other by varying the speed and angle. This all being said the Gold has a large price tag. I purchased a used one (looked new) for $ 318 dollars, so the purchase was a no brainer. I am sure many experienced forum members will also offer you some great advice. Have fun and enjoy the hunt.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive wondered this myself..do those 3 little kHz in frequency make that much difference and can only assume they do for gold items. The machines are basically the same thing except the gold runs at 18 kHz where the AT runs at 15. We all know both machines are more auditory oriented than what shows on the screen and I've noticed by purchasing grey ghost headphones for my AT I'm able to distinguish between junk and good targets much better as I'm able to hear the grunts and clicks that trash makes more clearly than before. The 5x8 DD coil helps a lot too.

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive wondered this myself..do those 3 little kHz in frequency make that much difference and can only assume they do for gold items. The machines are basically the same thing except the gold runs at 18 kHz where the AT runs at 15. We all know both machines are more auditory oriented than what shows on the screen and I've noticed by purchasing grey ghost headphones for my AT I'm able to distinguish between junk and good targets much better as I'm able to hear the grunts and clicks that trash makes more clearly than before. The 5x8 DD coil helps a lot too.
I might try better head phones, but I use the bigger Nel Coil to get the really deep stuff

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which Nel coil do you use? I use the hunter coil and I was extremely impressed with how the machine's abilities improved. Noticed an immediate change in depth and later how I was able to take the AT to the beach and little to no chatter at all with a huge gain in depth in an area known to give the AT trouble.

OP
OP
M

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the storm it goes deep enough for me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread