The Father of Modern Coin Collecting

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

FOR COIN COLLECTORS!

Richard Yeo was fortunate to get a job during the depression. He was hired as an advertising and marketing representative for the Whitman Publishing Company. He didn't like the product he was hired to promote, though, so he redesigned it. As a result of his brashness, the modern coin collecting hobby was born.

That was just the beginning for Mr. Yeo. He went on to write the world's two best-known books about United States coins. And now, over a quarter of a century after his death, new editions of his books are still issued every year.

Listen to the story of the Father of Modern Coin Collecting here:
In the Corner with Dan Hughes.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
sorry to get off track here but are you the dan hughes that invented the tinytec pinpointer ?

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Hi Nomad!

The Tinytec was invented by my good buddy Fred Wagner! I publicized it whenever I could, because it was a great pinpointer (actually the ONLY pinpointer!) available back then (1980s). Alas, Fred had retired and no longer makes it.

Thanks for remembering!

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
i started out using a tinytec i have 2 of them and having trouble with both of them now so i guess i'm going to have to look for another one unless i can get these repaired.i'm used to the feel of it.i dont remember if i saw it on this forum or another i thought it stated you were the inventor so thanks for clearing that up-nomad

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Nomad, before you scrap them: Do you have any friends who are ham radio operators? Most of those guys are really handy with a soldering iron, and they know their way around audio circuitry. Just ask if they would try their hand at repairing a stud finder that has been modified with a thick rod antenna. (I don't know a better way to describe it). Be sure to tell them there's a mercury switch inside, too.

And if you don't know anybody, just do a google search for the nearest ham radio club and give them a call. Most of those guys are really friendly, and more than happy to repair small audio equipment (like the Tinytec!) just for cost of parts.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
dan one of the problems i have is the tip on one is pushing in and is clogging up with dirt so i was considering cutting the cap off the other end and trying to push the tip back out.but i need to know are there thin wires inside that can get tore off.and if i"m successful doing that could i use a 1/2 pvc cap to replace it ?are the tubes 1/2 or what size ? also are those tips pressed in or glued ?[please let me know thanks-nomad

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Nomad, I've never opened one, and I don't know how they are constructed. If you cut the back cap off and are able to push the tip back out, maybe the best thing to do then would be to dip the tip in epoxy glue and make a new hard surface of the tip. Sorry I'm so ignorant!

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
The last I heard from Fred was probably 12 years ago or more. At that time, he told me that he had health problems and he was getting off the internet. A telephone search gives me a current number: 607-754-8886.

Please give it a try and let me know what you find out (I'd do it myself, but I might be embarrassed if they told me he was no longer alive - but as a total stranger, your call would be quite innocent.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread