Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None I know of.
I've soaked clad, scrubbed clad, put clad in a washing machine, even bought a tumbler and tumbled clad. Once cladding is gone it's gone.
75% of my clean clad is rejected by "CoinStar" machines.
Roll it and take to a bank. Banks don't want it either?
GL
Peace ✌

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just put it in a tumbler with aquarium gravel.....then be patient....bam you have clad that looks good....just worked 45 lbs of clad....it helps to add a shake of comet.
good luck....but its easy

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually toss it in the tumbler on a weekend morning first thing (mixed with aquarium gravel, dish soap, and water) and let it run until midday when I get back home. Everything always cleans up real nice.

I usually tumble pennies separate from other clad. Not really sure why, just a habit I think.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually toss it in the tumbler on a weekend morning first thing (mixed with aquarium gravel, dish soap, and water) and let it run until midday when I get back home. Everything always cleans up real nice.

I usually tumble pennies separate from other clad. Not really sure why, just a habit I think.

If you dont seperate pennies from clad the copper will stain the clad pink.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
Next time I tumble clad im gonna try iron filings. You know, the by product from drilling holes in iron/steel. At first im gonna try them dry. Actually I expect them to have oil on them when I get them from my friends machine shop. But i will just try them like that first. I think that will be a very aggresive media.

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tumble mine with vinegar and salt...tumble 2 hours..done. Separate pennies from the rest first.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
anybody know what actually turns the nickels,dimes and quarters brown though ?:BangHead:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
uh!.....................it just hit me i know what it is jefferson,franklin, and roosevelt are suffocating from no oxygen:laughing7:

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't burn my utilities to clean coins. As I get them, I steel wire or brass wire brush them using detergent....tedious and laborious I know. Better to clean them as you get them than to have to force yourself to clean a giant pile of coins at the end of the season...that's a bummer. I only do this to the quarters, nickels and dimes. The pennies, I soak in vinegar for awhile then hand agitate them in a slurry of salt, baking soda, dish soap and a little water in a sealed plastic container. Don't soak zinc pennies in vinegar too long...I ruined a dollar or so worth doing that...they just got eaten. I know it seems like a lot of work, however, I have come to realize that I only need mine clean 'enough' not brilliant looking. This year's clad...the quarters, nickels and dimes still were mostly blackened or very dark toned yet they were clean, but the machine only rejected one dime and a few pennies.

Sorry, i diverted from the OP. No, lol, i don't know really. Wish i did. I'm thinking other than defacing the coins using abrasives...the solution must have to be chemical. So, whatever happens to copper/nickel in the ground to develop that blackish/reddish impossible to remove tone or crud...whatever chemical with actually dissolved that without killing a person or melting the coin.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody know of a method to clean clad back to silverish ?? perry

What would be the Point?

This topic gets brought up weekly

Unless you are planning on displaying your Clad finds.. Just throw them in a tumbler with water and let it do the work..Its pointless mixing solvents and soaps...and even gravel

Usally there is enough dirt on the coins to act as a "media"

I used to waste time with soaps and gravel and all that...then one day I did it without either..just plain water..and it worked fine

I dont care if my clad comes out neon green...as long as its clean and passes thru the machine...thats all that I care about

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None I know of.
I've soaked clad, scrubbed clad, put clad in a washing machine, even bought a tumbler and tumbled clad. Once cladding is gone it's gone.
75% of my clean clad is rejected by "CoinStar" machines.
Roll it and take to a bank. Banks don't want it either?
GL
Peace ✌

How well do you clean them? The only rejects I get are either bent coins ive missed or the Zincs. I just dumped 270 dollars at the coins star a month ago ( took me 1 1/2 hours) But all the clad made it and went thru..Plus I got to talk to ALL the workers there that morning since I needed a cart to bring in my coins..lol

frostdigger

Jan 1, 2013
Col. Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350, Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT gold, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just throw all my clad in coffee cans all summer then tumble batches when I'm bored in the winter. Let them run for six hours or so and they look great. Still never cashed any in, just stackem in the closet, thinkin Vegas in a couple years, then all that was found will be lost again.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CLR worked great on my corroded zincs, I just may see what it does on the clad while I'm snowed in this winter. I usually tumble my clad. You can't leave them in the CLR too long tho, have to keep checking them.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

I use fine beach sand (or aquarium salt water sand), dishwashing soap and a bit of water in a small tumbler. Run for 3 – 4 hours or longer to achieve your desired result, dry and wrap.

Regards,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread