Hi Folks; I want a Digging knife made. Where to go ???

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like you want a Breakout knife.

Us crew chiefs in the army used to get these issued to us... I still have several of mine hanging around.

They are ugly as hell and they are american made.
The styling of it may actually help in regards to scaring people... It doesn't look so "mean", it appears more as a "tool" due to the rubberized handgrip.

The sheath is extremely rigid and actually comes configured as a leg sheath, like a dive knife. It can also be strung in a belt, strap, or clip however.

Its designed to literally beat, hack, slice, pry and saw your way out of a burning aircraft. It works.

If you think its a "new" version of a Ka-Bar, your mistaken. These put a Ka-bar to shame.

If you can get a custom knife done for less, awesome.

0501347c56eaf7385e208ddfa9618cd7.jpg

Here is a link, if your interested.

http://www.chestnutridgeknifeshop.c...d=368&osCsid=cc187ed31a0fbc147710e301f804e92c

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its designed to literally beat, hack, slice, pry and saw your way out of a burning aircraft. It works.

The 'ol Randall Model 18 test. Out of a Huey through the side or windscreen.

model-18LG.jpg

For 30% less than the ASEK/Egress (and 700% less than the Randall), if you don't have Uncle Sam springing, is the earlier version of this - the Gerber LMF (Little Muther F.....)

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-01629-Black-Infantry-4-8-Inch/dp/B000E3QUB6

71SIBssY86L._SL1500_.jpg

Would be a good dirt stabber.

I still like the Lesche.

Last edited:

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 'ol Randall Model 18 test. Out of a Huey through the side or windscreen.

View attachment 1125125

For 30% less than the ASEK/Egress (and 700% less than the Randall), if you don't have Uncle Sam springing, is the earlier version of this - the Gerber LMF (Little Muther F.....)

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-01629-Black-Infantry-4-8-Inch/dp/B000E3QUB6

View attachment 1125126

Would be a good dirt stabber.

I still like the Lesche.

Not many (sheath) knives can compare to a Randall. So much utilitarian purpose and sophisticated class in the same package.

I'd disagree with ya on Gerber stuff... But i suppose if your gonna be DIGGING with the knife its other qualities don't really matter... So perhaps a Gerber is the way to go! Haha

I myself don't use a knife for digging or the like, just trying to recommend a rugged one i have utilized personally that seemingly would fit the OP's purpose.

I agree, a (modified!) Lesche is the way to go!

~Tejaas~

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Barker,

Have you looked into the Predator Raptor Model 31 digger?

Regards,

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I must be confused. Do you want a shovel, a digger, or a knife ? This may not be at all what you have in mind but for those guys who clicked on this thinking you meant a knife here's one that's hard to beat for the money. It's a Swiss military surplus bayonet for a SIG rifle. Stainless Steel, 9" blade, made by Wenger. Would be a simple matter using an air operated cutoff wheel to add serrations to the blade on both edges, 1 edge, or any style you like. Extremely well made and complete with a rugged leather & composite scabbard. Cost was under 20 bucks.

Attachments

• IMG_1655.JPG
    IMG_1655.JPG
    517.8 KB · Views: 82

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to have a knife made for me. I want it to have saw teeth on BOTH edges with a regular blade for about 3" at the point. I want it HEAVY DUTY. No BS around anymore. I've gone through to many knives now. I want a Godzilla type knife that will cut through roots and dirt like butter and I can pry with it as well. No more playing around.
Who here knows where I can get one or have it made ?? I don't care where or who it comes from ok. Just give me a decent price ok. I await your replies ok.
Thanks. PEACE:RONB :dontknow:

Well, you got some good replies. Me, I'll stick with mine. I lost it for a while, and went nuts trying to find another. I went through (as in broke) several lesser trowels, so I came to appreciate it the more. Mine is ideal for me and my conditions, but if my soil was different, I may sharpen the point angle. Since I lean on it, I don't wreck the handle by pounding on it. I don't need teeth, but I'd grind them on if I did.

The stainless is the right thickness and the fold is very well designed so that it doesn't collapse when forced, like some that tried to deal with being non-axial by having to need a clumsy "bracket".

One other thing; sharp tools and dirt don't go well together. If you dig, you will dull the edges.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big-Grip-Multi-purpose-Planting-Tool_product_main_large.jpg

This Fiskars works well for me. It's guaranteed for life and only $12. I use a small shovel I bought at ACE for most of my digging though. It's just so much easier than using some little trowel and easier on the ground too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread