Tesoro Vaquero

Garrett Sea Hunter 11
Primary Interest:
Other

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well when it comes down to it.. each machine in it's price class is just about the same +- this bell or that whistle..

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think it would be an excellent experiment!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Airscapes,

That's not necessarily true. Different manufacturers use different methods of overcoming things like EMI, Mineralized Ground, Other Detectors, etc. Some use pulse induction, some use filters, some use multiple frequencies, some use more complicated circuits to mask iron etc. The solutions provided by different manufacturers are as varied as snowflakes. That's why different detectors react differently in similar situations. Why do you think that Minelab Excaliburs outsell about every other Water/Beach Detector, even though they cost several hundred dollars more? Because more loot has been found with Excaliburs than any other detector of its type. The Garrett ATX is a much better all around detector, but it's twice the price of an Excalibur.

Also, if a manufacturer uses a visual display, the cost to make it might put it in a higher price bracket than a detector that uses only tones with no visual display that might actually work better. My preference is a detector that has no visual display. I rely on tones to know what type of object I am going to dig.

Mike

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always see reviews, articles, pictures and claims stating how X detector is so much better than Y because of it's superior depth, tone, technology blah blah. Candidly--wouldn't a true test be to have a hunt inviting different manufacturers with experienced users locate various targets and then have each target checked with the competitive models? :dontknow:

I wrote a similar thread on another site recently. Within all respective fields we Need More controlled tests regarding Fact, not belief

OP
OP
S

sckimbershot

Feb 1, 2014
Low Country South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

Garrett Sea Hunter 11
Primary Interest:
Other
i am fully aware of different features and "benefits" of various detectors. i also know that a vw will get me to where i am going--as will a mercedes. it seems like i see threads started by some posters show incredible finds in settings that they have scoured for years--and they could only accomplish that with the new "wizbang model xyz" many times it sounds more like a sales pitch. so--a real life test would be appropriate.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am fully aware of different features and "benefits" of various detectors. i also know that a vw will get me to where i am going--as will a mercedes. it seems like i see threads started by some posters show incredible finds in settings that they have scoured for years--and they could only accomplish that with the new "wizbang model xyz" many times it sounds more like a sales pitch. so--a real life test would be appropriate.

A Yugo can get you from point a to point b, it just depends on how much you want to enjoy the trip..

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This VW:

bajabug.jpg

Will get you MANY places that this Mercedes:

mbz.jpg

Will Not! HAHAHA\

Mike

Unless THIS:

unimog.jpg

is your Mercedes (Unimog)!

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There would be no universal benefit to anyone from such tests. Every location has it's own unique difficulties. Just because "detector A" performed slightly better at X location on Y day doesn't mean it will always win, even in that same location. Changing locations only means you'll get completely different results.

What works best for me, in my locations may not be the best for you in your location.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Jason in Enid up �� there said x2.
We all have our favorites, but place and conditions apply.
I recently stated that I believe BH machines to be junk/toys. I've also recently had my ETRac "spanked" by a $50 Harbor Freight detector. Both, to me, are true.
Test all you want, but whatever detector you use will find treasure if you are fortunate enough to get your coil over it.
Get out there...
Peace ✌

OP
OP
S

sckimbershot

Feb 1, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

Garrett Sea Hunter 11
Primary Interest:
Other
again, i am talking about a field test--side by side with comparable detectors--or for that matter--detectors that don't compare. take various detectors into a field or search site--any site--same day, same time, same conditions and start searching. if X hits a target--mark it and allow other detectors and detectorists to "hit" the same target. keep on searching and comparing results with multiple targets. keep notes on the results and then dig when everyone has had a chance to swing their coil--and see what you have.

compare results of VDI, multi frequency, multi tone, single tone or any combination thereof--what was identified-or not, what was discovered--or not. does $2k buy you more than $500.00 in performance and results or does advertising hype and ego kick in? results is what matters.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
again, i am talking about a field test--side by side with comparable detectors--or for that matter--detectors that don't compare. take various detectors into a field or search site--any site--same day, same time, same conditions and start searching. if X hits a target--mark it and allow other detectors and detectorists to "hit" the same target. keep on searching and comparing results with multiple targets. keep notes on the results and then dig when everyone has had a chance to swing their coil--and see what you have.

compare results of VDI, multi frequency, multi tone, single tone or any combination thereof--what was identified-or not, what was discovered--or not. does $2k buy you more than $500.00 in performance and results or does advertising hype and ego kick in? results is what matters.

Still want work unless you have just one person who is well trained in all the detectors being used . You couldn't have multiple hunters hunting because the difference in skill levels..

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still want work unless you have just one person who is well trained in all the detectors being used . You couldn't have multiple hunters hunting because the difference in skill levels..

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

That's why I follow Steve Herschbach. He has reviewed most major detectors, and has a broad experience with several manufacturers.

I think the best test would be to place a call to Minelab, White's, Garrett's, Tesoro, Fisher/Teknetics, etc. Give them the parameters of the test and the detector to be used, and tell them to send their most experienced operators. That way, each manufacturer represented will have their most experienced person for those detectors. You provide the detectors so that the manufacturers can't use "supercharged" special detectors (that the public at large can't buy).

Mike

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sckimbershot, I initially didn't welcome you. Welcome!
Yes, 2k will buy much more detector than $500, as with any consumer product.
Advertising and ego are also the norm.
Yet, finds speak for themselves.
GL
Peace ✌

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

and again I ask you, WHY? When that information doesn't apply anywhere else uniformly, what is the point?

OP
OP
S

sckimbershot

Feb 1, 2014
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

Garrett Sea Hunter 11
Primary Interest:
Other
i get it--an actual field test comparing off the line detector models in the same test conditions isn't practical.

if i provided competitive models on my own nickle-for a test-that would keep manufacturer's honest and from tweaking their product to out preform the competition.

also, spending $2K for all bells and whistles will automatically garner more results than a beep and dig type unit.

why wouldn't a manufacturer provide their "best" machine-for a test. i would assume that would be the same machine--same quality control, as offered to the public. it would seem that they would capture market share by providing the "best".

do bells and whistles at $1-2K really result in more/better finds?

oh well, i'm just going to swing my coil and let madison avenue figure it out. :laughing7:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
man...what the heck would we all get our blood pressure up about if we knew that there was"one almighty machine"?Since the test would have to be held in thousands of sites,dozens of weather conditions on and on and on.
Ya pick your machine...take your shot...find some keepers..then post in a thread how everyone else has the wrong machine.Thay is how I like it:occasion14:

Let everyone think they have the bomb...then when I or anyone else out hunts them they can chalk it up to luck

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reason there are so many detectors and detector companies, is because there are so many different types of detectorists. (as you will see just by the comments.) One size does not fit all in this hobby as in most hobbies. I am happy there are so many choices. This increases the chances of me as a detectorist to find the tool that will work best for me. You would probably have an easier time trying to find the worst detector. But even then, personal bias, brand loyalty, and skill would play a big part.

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, lots of different styles of detecting, assorted sought targets, very small low conductive like gold nuggets, large and deep iron like Civil War artillery shells, highly conductive like silver coins. Lots of different variables and all the manufacturers bring a lot to the table with different offerings, which usually are very close to their competitions model for the same price. So it makes for very interesting reading and it's fun to get your hands on a unit and try it for what it is reputed to do. There has been a huge advance in technology since I started with a BFO unit but sometimes I wonder if we just haven't come full circle. I know I found more gold rings when I was forced to dig just about everything, but I enjoy relying on the VDI for fast hunting and finding a better percentage of valuable targets for the same amount of time I invest. There is a perfect machine for each person and they are not the same, just like the people who use them are all different. Personally I enjoy perusing metaldetectorreviews.net, you can get some comparison with a lot of the newer units and not so much hype. The mags all do tests and such, but always beware they are usually pretty slanted to show the unit in a good light. I get to try out my digging buddies machines and get a rough idea of their true capabilities, but soil conditions, phones, batteries, EMI, operator skill, luck, psychic ability, and other variables all come into play. I can still put a large coil on an old BFO and get some really respectable depth, a very small coil makes it a good nugget finder and can be used to coinshoot in iron trash after tuning the iron out, and a medium coil is good on high conductive targets, plus I won't miss much gold, so where have we really arrived at. I just think it is nice to have one unit I can set for many different situations, and have it be the main workhorse amongst a stable of target specific machines which all can do amazing things when the need arises. So, "When you come to the fork in the road, take it". Yogi Berra

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread