Sitting Out The Winter

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a long time since I've had to sit out the winter season not being able to scratch my metal detecting itch. I forget what it was like, staring out the window into the snow covered and frozen tundras, the continuous research next to the crackling fire only serving to tease me further. I want to get out. I want to go on the hunt. I want to scoop into the sand and dig into the dirt. I want to go explore and I want to experience adventure. I want, I want, I want. But can't.

I'm not sure what I'm thinking these days, driving from one old bookstore to the next in search of interesting reads. I mean, do I really want to be doing that? Maybe I should be buying cook books, or cross country snow skiing books, or books on how to build an igloo. But treasure hunting and metal detecting reference materials? It's like trying to put out a fire with lighter fluid. It's like slowly scratching your fingernails down the chalkboard or attempting to remove lint from you hair with a piece of bubblegum. At least I could cook, or go cross country skiing, or learn how to survive an iceage.

Now don't get me wrong, which I doubt you have, because I am obviously complaining. I bought a new keyboard for my computer a month ago and already the letters are wearing off of the keys. My fingers are experiencing more adventure and action then I am. Me, I'm just sitting here thinking about metal detecting and treasure hunting and watching my fingers enjoy themselves. And damn if they're not writing about metal detecting and treasure hunting and reminding me why I can't go.

If you're in the same wintry boat that I am and you don't write, trust me on this, don't start! In a twisted sort of a way it's like giving yourself an enema as a means of escaping the constant frustration, teasing and torture. It serves no purpose other then to add to the agony of it all. I want, I want, but I can't. Excuse me while I toss another log onto the fire, glance out the window again to see if spring is here yet.

When it was below zero last week I went outside to start my van and when it struggled to turn over I swear it was slowly grunting, “Flooorida. Flooorida.” Strange how the mind works when half of the brain cells in your head are frosted over. I returned to the house thinking, A week? Maybe two? A little road trip would certainly do me good! But, I'd only have to return in what would undoubtedly be the worst snowstorm and ice storm ever on record. That would be my luck. But even without that I'd still have to finish sitting through the winter season wanting, and wanting, and wanting.

So tomorrow I'm heading to a different old bookstore to pickup some more drugs, or dope, to help increase the endless want and pain. But here's the good news, I'm buying nothing tropical in nature. No heavy hitting beach hunting meds this time around. Here lately, those things always leave me feeling like I'm tripping. All I have to say is this; if patience builds character then I'm going to have a whole new character about me by the time spring finally rolls around. Probably even save pull tabs so I can clean them next to the fire next winter. :laughing7:

J hoss

Nov 1, 2014
Western Ky
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your not alone I had ankle surgery last October. I still have not been released to go back to Work, I've spent the last 14 weeks setting in my recliner surfing the internet. Sometime in late November I got bit by an bug of an old hobby I used to enjoy. I Had a metal detector several years ago a whites Goldmaster, I really enjoyed using it but someone took it from my shop and I never replaced it. Now the kids are grown I decided now would be a good time to get back to MDing, I've bought a Xterra 705 and started reading everything that I can find on how to use my new machine, watched you tube videos, joined this and one other MD Forum. I Think next I'll watch some clips of Diggers just to see if I can drive myself a little closer to the edge.:BangHead:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my wife said I was crazy for going detecting the last couple of days but we have had really nice weather finally. I had postponed some surgery on my right arm until the 14th so that it would be during the colder period of the year and the warmness screamed go dig! I didn't do anything stupid and the arm already feels better (all things considered). I just began being very selective on what I would dig and I had to do some more testing on my wireless headsets. I really feel for you guys in the frozen north and those incapacitated. I guess it helps us appreciate the better times.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is sill nice in Texas

Heck ya, in the last 2 days I got in 14 hours of detecting, going for another 10 hours tomorrow.

Loving this 65 degree weather.

~Tejaas~

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In six weeks, the ground here will be soft and saturated until June. That means we'll be finding boatloads of colonial relics and pre-1900 coins. Meanwhile, you Texas boys will be cursing yet another 95 degree day and digging ground hard as a rock. What goes around comes around...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping this mild weather holds out an we have an early spring. :dontknow:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can only hope. Then the flame thrower and back hoe come into play! Oh, did that slip out! My bad!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like someone needs a winter home in Sedona

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread