Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Army sent me to the Naval War College in Newport RI. A great year of schooling for me amongst some fine Naval officers.

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was still reeling from the effects of movies like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Goonies, so, treasure was certainly on my mind...but I was no where near in time to heaving a detector...many years later. But man, if only I had done it back then.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I was 23 and just graduated from ITT Tech, Ft. Wayne.
Bought my first blue box White's Coinmaster II eight years earlier.
It sucked, so many knobs and discrim settings took a master's degree to figure out, depth wasn't that great at all.
I do remember the silver was NOT coming up by the handfulls. I was big into detecting, dumps and bottles when I was 16. First detector was my Jetco Mustang. I was 10 or 12.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with a BFO machine in the late 70's and quickly went to a White's 6DB. There was silver everywhere, but there was thousands of pull tabs from soda cans. I found both of my Barber half dollars back then, one being the last coin out of a hole with 17 coins in it that included Barber quarters and dimes, Indians, mercs, buffaloes and a V nickel. School yards and parks were loaded with silver. Found my first seated dime, seated quarter, large cent and NJ cent back then. Now I hunt private property with permission and the woods. I find much more old stuff now as I hunt older areas. In the last 2 years I've found close to 50 large cents, 15 colonials, 2 - 2 reals (my first), a 1 real (my first), a number of half reals including 2 in one hole, my first seated half dollar, first seated half dime, multiple seated dimes and quarters and a host of other great artifacts. The quantity has gone down compared to the old days, but the quality has gone up.

It takes more work today to find good spots, but the rewards can be much greater. My one regret, I didn't to more beach hunting back then. There weren't many guys on the beach with detectors and they were loaded with gold.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not positive there was a 1986,... Or 85 or 87 either?

Well it must have been ok, then?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!986 hmm:icon_scratch:!I would have been six,so probably watching the WoodyWood pecker show with my finger up my nose.I wish I would have been older back then though,I can only imagine how good the hunting might have been,I lived in a nieghborhood that use to be one big confederate camp too,with not allot of houses back then either:BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread