Getting Discouraged / Permissions

ponz

Oct 15, 2014
Kansas City, MO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought a LIKE NEW Tejon a couple of weeks ago. I had it sent to Tesoro first, just because.

They said it looked like it had NEVER been used. They couldn't get it to tune properly, so it now has a brand new coil.

I've taken it out a few times and must admit, it hits deep. I've dug up all kinds of junk, sometimes from over a foot deep.

Now for the frustration part:

My back isn't the greatest in the world. Stooping, squatting, sitting or kneeling on the ground is very aggravating - especially when all I pull up is trash!

I have a feeling that there will soon be a "mint" Tejon for sale with all the doo dads.....

Ponz

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the reasons I got into this was a blown out knee. Hurts worse when I don't make it move around. Now they're both arthritic.

I usually carry a rubber kneeling pad. Keeps the pants dry and is just enough of a cushion to prevent soreness. I tried a strap-on knee pad but with my scrawny chicken-legs it wouldn't stay up.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Ponz,

Do not give up yet! With every new detector purchase there is a learning curve, some short, some long, but always a period of schooling. Take your time and learn the machine, usually around 100+/- hours of operation in the field. After this time you will either like the machine or begin the research for another one. Remember, even the "turn on and go" models require some learning of the operator. I hope you find the detector of your dreams. Happy Hunting in 2015!

Best Regards,

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Got any kids / grandkids? They make great diggers. Let them keep whatever clad you find and they will dig all day.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try using a Sampson t handle shovel. Let's you do most of the work before you bend down. Not too familiar with the Tejon but I'm pretty sure it's a tone only machine, therefore you will be digging a lot of good sounding trash.

OP
OP
P

ponz

Oct 15, 2014
Kansas City, MO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh - I forgot to mention - I asked three homeowners for permission. All 3 of them shot me down.

Ponz

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now for the frustration part:

My back isn't the greatest in the world. Stooping, squatting, sitting or kneeling on the ground is very aggravating - especially when all I pull up is trash!

I have a feeling that there will soon be a "mint" Tejon for sale with all the doo dads.....

Ponz

Depending on where your doing most of your hunting follow the above advice and get a shovel.A trenching shovel or a special detecting shovel your choice but it will certainly be less bending and kneeling.

Personally on a homeowners lawn I wont use a shovel.I probe or worst case hand digger.Farmland woods ect shovel for sure.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh - I forgot to mention - I asked three homeowners for permission. All 3 of them shot me down.

Ponz

i found that a lot too,this past summer, so wkds and evenings went to the tot lots
talked to a few mom and dads, just general bs, some asked about the Md, gave a
demo to those that asked about it, and got a few invites to their prop
after 30+ yr i still dont understand why folks are freaked out about a Md

OP
OP
P

ponz

Oct 15, 2014
Kansas City, MO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i found that a lot too,this past summer, so wkds and evenings went to the tot lots
talked to a few mom and dads, just general bs, some asked about the Md, gave a
demo to those that asked about it, and got a few invites to their prop
after 30+ yr i still dont understand why folks are freaked out about a Md

I know! These people all freaked out and I was polite as can be!!

Ponz

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe to get your confidence up you should stick to asking relatives or good friends for permission for a while , hang in there !

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im 53 and my back bothers me on occasion! when it does I only dig the constant sounding signals--if it fluckuates its not worth digging!!!!! Meet a lot of guys at local resteraunt having coffee at counter ---- good place to talk about hobby and make contacts for detecting

Lobo UK

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2015
Cheshire
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
AKA Sorex Pro
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq
Minelab Explorer 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it helps, when asking for permission, to show people what you have previously found on other sites. This could be pics or even the real coin/artefact.
Good luck.

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a sugjestion; on your computer put the name of your town or county -historical maps---------from there you can find old 1800's school houses, train stations, or whatever else that people would be consecrated in being there! from there you could check wearher friends or family were at any of the locations. If u find something of interest, then when you go to the landowner it peaks their interest in the history of their property---and increases your chances of finding stuff related to the period, now that's cool when u can relate finds to a specific site!!!! hope that this helps!! GOOD LUCK

Lemonman

Jan 14, 2015
Grand saline tx
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster gt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got lucky yesterday, got three permissions, local civic center, with AT&T lot, old old church, and a old house in the area.
Now if I can just come up with the time!

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions