5.7 EARTHQUAKE JUST HAPPENED

S

stefen

Well folks...just experienced a 5.7 aftershock earthquake with an epicenter about 20 miles SW of the Victorian Village of Ferndale CA.

Was in my 2nd floor office when the circular-motion roller hit...seemed like minutes actually when it was about 30 seconds in duration.

Platters still on the plate rails...no breakage...

Had a 6.9 late last year...a real rodeo ride...

Can't wait til the doomsday crowd weighs-in...

Sure beats other natural disasters like tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, forest fires and the like...

Thankfully, our 1890's victorian has seen many quakes and is still sound as ever.

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aww man, be careful out there! Hope that's all you gonna have to go through.

OP
OP
S

stefen

Just went into the upstairs loo and found that the med-cab spilled some of its contents...(wasn't latched properly)

To mention an after-thought, all of our cabinets have locks to prevent spills-outs.

In addition, bookcases, dressers and tall cabinets are braced to the walls to keep them upright, and again, to prevent them tipping over.

Items displayed such as vases and the like are secured with Museum wax and anti-quake putty.

Dogs are on their own...

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hay, I heard that the dogs can sense it coming. Is that true? Frank five star.png

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out for those Reptoids crawling up through the cracks tonight !

Stay safe :o

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice that you are satisfied, I'll take my chances with tornadoes.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will trade you 3 hurricanes for one earthquake.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Thanx Stefen. I didn't feel it in my part of CA. But go figure: I'm 7 or 8 hrs. south of Ferndale :)

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick! Grab your detector and run to those gold fields! Probably shook the stuff right to the surface! :laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yikes.

We all know one of these days it will break loose and everything east of the San Andreas Fault will slide into the Atlantic.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hay, I heard that the dogs can sense it coming. Is that true? Frank View attachment 1112219
Absoultely!!!!!! Mine used to huddle on the corner of the bed. My cat would be OK as long as she was touching me. Funny thing was how she'd stand & lift her belly, then a second later there'd be an aftershock. Best advice I ever got was "Pay attention to your animals, they'll keep you safe even when you're too stupid to listen to them."

OP
OP
S

stefen

I will trade you 3 hurricanes for one earthquake.

Experienced tornado's, brush & forest fires in Orange County CA, and a number of earthquakes...and wouldn't wish a hurricane, fire or flood on any community...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you are safe!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Stefan, are they still saying the plates are locked? Heard awhile back that activity had dropped to almost nothing & they were worried the plates were locked & when they let go it's going to be big. They said the same right after Whittier Narrows, but there were lots of aftershocks. Heard any good scoop on this?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread