Benjamin Franklin Half Dollars

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

The Franklin half dollar was issued from 1948 through 1963. It was designed by John Sinnock, who died before the coin was issued. Sinnock had also designed the Roosevelt dime.

Why was there a controversy about Sinnock's initials being on the coins? Was there a communist influence?

What did the ex-governor of Wyoming have to do with the Franklin half dollar?

Why did an arts commission recommend that the eagle be removed from the coin, and that the crack in the Liberty bell also be removed?

Why did the coin last just 16 years, when law mandated that coins remain unchanged for at least 25 years?

These questions and more are answered in the four-minute show at In the Corner with Dan Hughes.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, both your post and that I don't own one. I just referred to the "Redbook", and not many mis-strikes, low mintages', etc.
You bring to light that the Franklin Half may be an overlooked US silver.
Thanks
Peace ✌

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Yep, if you want to acquire an entire run of a particular coin, the Franklin Half is a pretty economical choice. Barring errors and mis-struck coins, there are just 35 coins to acquire, and the most valuable is worth maybe $25 in good shape.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the half I remember as a kid. Short lived because of the Kennedy assignation.

And why would Ben Franklin not have approved of the coin?

(He was opposed to putting portraits on coins - Kings and Queens did that)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread