they got around pretty good back then

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
can you imagine the bumps and scrapes you would of gotten since seat belts where many years away from being installed. With suspensions that were pretty much non-existent you'd have to keep your teeth clenched to prevent you from biting your tongue off. Too bad every day vehicles we have now are not near as tough as those in the video. As for skinny tires in mud they work better than wider tires same goes for snow.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I wonder what their reasoning was "

Maybe a demonstration of the strength of the roof and A pillars ect..
They rolled the windows up right away after it was righted. A demonstration is my guess...

I believe the purpose of rolling down the windows was to keep them from breaking while rolling the vehicle.
Now that would be how you would have traveled in Montana back in the day. And the mud collecting on the tires, that's a given even today with some of that good ole Montana gumbo. Narrower and taller tires are easier to go through mud than the wider tires that are used today. Thanks for sharing that Jeff!

Sluice Willis

Feb 6, 2015
In my house
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tires made a big difference, wide tires are for creek beds and desert terrain, tall skinny tires are for mud. They dig down to solid earth and give traction, that is why tractors do so well in the mud. The old cars back then had tires well over 20" and alot of ground clearance. In the early 1900's they had a campaign, "get America out of the mud" and the process of building suitable roads began. There were roads that were macadamized as far back as the late 1800's but most of America was still in the mud turn of the century. I couldn't find any information on it, but a man used to be able to work on the road instead of paying taxes, I think it was three days for so much tax, one if you had a horse. They built those old cars so the owner could fix them, the owners manual was also a repair guide, I had a few of the old manuals years ago. I want a one of these old cars, anything from the 30's or older, preferably a Model T, but I really love the lines of the cars from the 30's and early 40's. I have a few classic trucks I plan on selling or trading for a few antique cars.

Here is a old Model T video.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That Unimog is one bad buggy! I'd love to see a pic if you have one bud. Awesome vehicle

Sorry for the bad picture of a picture, but finding things in storage is a pain, like all the back up discs of our photos.

P1010448.JPG

Just click on the photo for an enlargement of the truck, the gun rack mounts still inside, and no seat belts required.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whole different league as they're fast and the Mog was like a tortoise crawling over the terrain while in low range. Wound right out at 50mph so the highways were dangerous where everybody was going 75-80mph. the 3 tons of steel was the comfort zone against the rice burners whipping past.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the bad picture of a picture, but finding things in storage is a pain, like all the back up discs of our photos.

View attachment 1120376

Just click on the photo for an enlargement of the truck, the gun rack mounts still inside, and no seat belts required.

Ahhhhhhhh there she is. That thing is awesome. I had a Rubicon but if the world was gonna end give me that Mog. Thanks for the pic bud

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab... I think you need one of those just to get out of your driveway today from what I hear. :)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahab... I think you need one of those just to get out of your driveway today from what I hear. :)

Lol. If I had that thing is never be home.... and I'd always be in trouble

Rezonate

Greenie
Feb 16, 2015
New England
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
"I wonder what their reasoning was "

Maybe a demonstration of the strength of the roof and A pillars ect..
They rolled the windows up right away after it was righted. A demonstration is my guess...
I thought they went all the way over because they needed firmer soil. If they went the short way they would have just put wheels back where they got into trouble in the first place.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lol. If I had that thing is never be home.... and I'd always be in trouble

The wife still wishes we had kept it, with the trails and hilly terrain around the property it would be a blast to play.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Flotation tires have a place, and are far superior when the going gets really tough. Deep snow and soft mud/muck (any low traction or loose material) or no bottom. If the tires can't get down to traction you lose your ground clearance and that is the end. Floatation tires keep the chassis up and your clearance alive, you don't sink as much because the same weight is distributed over a larger area. Further, aggressive patterns move the vehicle by momentum transfer, by design. They actually sling the mud/snow backwards and propel the vehicle ahead. The more tire, the more slinging. The only advantage to a skinnier tire is MPG via lower rolling resistance. Give me the biggest most aggressive tire that fits under the fender (properly geared), hands down winner every time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions