Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello T-net friends,
I'm considering an up-grade from the E-Trac. I have recently started hunting field sites and have found some areas very heavily Iron infested. This venue of hunting will only be available to me maybe 4-5 months a year depending on "Winter" snow/freeze. The balance of the year is 90% door knocking old (100-150) year old existing sites also notorious for Iron infestation.
Basically I'm looking at the cost difference between the Deus and CTX. I hear wonderful things about both but the Deus is $1000 or more cheaper! I will also benefit from using a Small coil, maneuvering among bean and corn stubble. I know there is a 6 inch smart coil for the CTX, is there a small coil for the Deus?
Have any of you guys up-graded from the E-Trac to either the Deus or CTX and what are your thoughts and "Honest" opinions about the differences? Depth, target separation, ease of use, wireless feature, and any other key pros or cons.

Thanks Everyone very much,

Bill

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the type of hunting you are suggesting I would consider the Deus.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My 2 cents from owning a CTX is this....you will need a small coil around old trashy homesites. Keep in mind that if you do not get it with the detector, the 6" is 299.00 new.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Owning the CTX at 5.5lbs thinking about the Deus that is 3 lbs lighter. Heavy iron the 3030 is worm crawling slow to hear the separation. Do a real slow swing for hours and it can wear on the arm, then a person can get tired, then the patience starts to wear thin. So if a person is really comfortable the concentration level is there and a person doesn't get sloppy and less missed targets. Just my take on it.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy in our club traded his ctx for a deus and within a month the deus coil broke needing to be replaced. He is really trying to validate his trade off and do far seems to be failing. Three items to have to charge on a deus, yes its lighter, convenient Bluetooth and is great at depth and recovery speed but I worry when you have 3 things to contend with just to make the machine work. The ctx, a tried and try machine..not as light weight but one thing to worry with, lots of bells and whistles too and for certain deep and accurate machine. The ctx on my opinion would be the machine you would have faith in taking out each time without worrying if you charged up all 3 parts just so you can have fun.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send Vino a pm. He's got both and will give you a good honest run down of each. He says that the Deus can't be best in the heavy iron patches

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Guy in our club traded his ctx for a deus and within a month the deus coil broke needing to be replaced. He is really trying to validate his trade off and do far seems to be failing. Three items to have to charge on a deus, yes its lighter, convenient Bluetooth and is great at depth and recovery speed but I worry when you have 3 things to contend with just to make the machine work. The ctx, a tried and try machine..not as light weight but one thing to worry with, lots of bells and whistles too and for certain deep and accurate machine. The ctx on my opinion would be the machine you would have faith in taking out each time without worrying if you charged up all 3 parts just so you can have fun.

If you have the wireless module with the CTX and the rechargeable battery pack well that makes two, and like the song goes two out of three ain't bad.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought my Deus on the number of recommendations right here on TNet. I studied the V3i, the Deus, and the 3030, and for what I will be using it for, its going to be a sweet machine.

No, I haven't even used it yet... we got four feets of snow on the front lawn! :BangHead:

However, I will tell you my personal first impressions of it so far.

The sheer ease of use for the Deus is what struck a chord with me. The headphones are nice. The machine is easy to use and super-lightweight. Changing the coils, or doing any reconfigure of the machine takes mere seconds. It is super packable and collapsible. When I travel, the Deus will break down into nearly nothing. You can sandwich it between your clothing, and its so light and unobtrusive, you really wont have to make many other compromises. It reassembles in a snap.

That's all I got to offer right now. I'll be bragging it up the Today's Finds section this spring! :thumbsup:

dhearn

Jan 3, 2012
Sallisbury MD
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also take a look at the Fisher F19 and The F75 ltd2, The F75 had always been very fast at recover speed, and I hear the F19 is just as fast. With the new upgrade to the F75 the addition to the FA mode the thing is lightning.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I go out with people with the Deus I out hunt them, pure and simple. It's a killer machine when you have iron in with gold and silver. Yes, the Deus is a super light machine and I really like that feature, but finding treasure is what it's all about. I've passed 60 and go out some days and swing the 3030 for 8 hours. Yes, it does get a bit tiring when you go that long and it would be nice having a lighter machine, but the bottom line is finding treasure. Last few times out with the 3030 before the ground froze at a heavily hunted park I pulled out more than 40 Indians, a bunch of silver and a tiny 14k ring. Last, but not least, if you've used an etrac and done well with it then learning the 3030 will be easy. I went from a White's to a 3030 and it took me much longer to learn. If the weight of the machine is a really big issue, buy a Deus. From what I've heard it's a great machine. With either machine the more you know your detector, the more good stuff will come popping out of the ground. I should add that since I got the 3030 a little less than 2 years ago I pulled 45 large cents and more than 20 colonials after only finding 7 LC over the previous 30 years and 3 colonials. Also pulled 8 pieces of Spanish silver after only finding one over the earlier years.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I go out with people with the Deus I out hunt them, pure and simple. It's a killer machine when you have iron in with gold and silver. Yes, the Deus is a super light machine and I really like that feature, but finding treasure is what it's all about. I've passed 60 and go out some days and swing the 3030 for 8 hours. Yes, it does get a bit tiring when you go that long and it would be nice having a lighter machine, but the bottom line is finding treasure. Last few times out with the 3030 before the ground froze at a heavily hunted park I pulled out more than 40 Indians, a bunch of silver and a tiny 14k ring. Last, but not least, if you've used an etrac and done well with it then learning the 3030 will be easy. I went from a White's to a 3030 and it took me much longer to learn. If the weight of the machine is a really big issue, buy a Deus. From what I've heard it's a great machine. With either machine the more you know your detector, the more good stuff will come popping out of the ground. I should add that since I got the 3030 a little less than 2 years ago I pulled 45 large cents and more than 20 colonials after only finding 7 LC over the previous 30 years and 3 colonials. Also pulled 8 pieces of Spanish silver after only finding one over the earlier years.

Well I guess this reply would seal the deal for me. Those numbers are incredible. Good feedback Don

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Does the 3030 keep you intrigued, Don? I mean, well what I mean to say is, do you still feel there is a lot to learn, or do you feel as though you've completely mastered it? Do you feel like it completed and built-upon what you've already learned about detecting? I'm considering getting a 3030 and waterproofing it like Frogmaster did.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does the 3030 keep you intrigued, Don? I mean, well what I mean to say is, do you still feel there is a lot to learn, or do you feel as though you've completely mastered it? Do you feel like it completed and built-upon what you've already learned about detecting? I'm considering getting a 3030 and waterproofing it like Frogmaster did.

I still have a lot to learn when it comes to the tracking features, but that doesn't really matter as long as I'm digging treasure. The CTX just offers so many features. Bottom line for me is I'd rather spend my time digging and researching new spots. On occasion I'll play with other features and I really should. I haven't done much with the tone ID and I really should.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I might have missed it, but what was your last detector before the CTX?

thaison

Greenie
Feb 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deus better than ctx

just gonna add my 2 cents .i had a ctx for almost a yr and i noticed alot of bad things with it .

1. it was so heavy after about 45mins of use my arms would start to ache and i just couldnt enjoy metal detecting.
2. the fbs technology has a habit of missing coins that are clumped together with iron as a matter of fact it is notorious for it .i never believed this till i got a deus and the amount of coins that started popping up out of the ground that i had searched 3 times with the ctx was incredible .

3. i just feel like the deus is a far superior machine i mean i was so hyped about fbs and minelab but then i got the deus and its just so simple to use ,it goes pretty deep and has so much programs and is so customisable .i was one of these guys that argued with people all the time about the deus being bad and ctx was way better and what not and then when i got the deus i could not believe how powerful it was i mean its like a magnet to jewellry and small coins .things that my minelab was missing on a constant basis .

i used to go to parks and wonder to myself(wow thats all the coins i found with my ctx) sometimes like 4 coins then i got the deus and i was pulling out something like 25 coins per place i went to .

if you want a machine that really works you will be dissapointed with the ctx .sure the ctx looks cool and stuff but when you put the ctx up against the deus the deus wins everytime no matter what the task is .the only thing the ctx has going for it is waterproof but whats the point if your missing coins .

this is my honest opinion as i said i was a very loyal minelab customer and stuck up for them all the time till i realised just how bad fbs tech fails in iron .even in trashy parks fbs is just so bad .it really dissapointed me but with the deus now i know why people praise this machine because it really is that good .best of luck with your purchase .

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
just gonna add my 2 cents .i had a ctx for almost a yr and i noticed alot of bad things with it .

1. it was so heavy after about 45mins of use my arms would start to ache and i just couldnt enjoy metal detecting.
2. the fbs technology has a habit of missing coins that are clumped together with iron as a matter of fact it is notorious for it .i never believed this till i got a deus and the amount of coins that started popping up out of the ground that i had searched 3 times with the ctx was incredible .

3. i just feel like the deus is a far superior machine i mean i was so hyped about fbs and minelab but then i got the deus and its just so simple to use ,it goes pretty deep and has so much programs and is so customisable .i was one of these guys that argued with people all the time about the deus being bad and ctx was way better and what not and then when i got the deus i could not believe how powerful it was i mean its like a magnet to jewellry and small coins .things that my minelab was missing on a constant basis .

i used to go to parks and wonder to myself(wow thats all the coins i found with my ctx) sometimes like 4 coins then i got the deus and i was pulling out something like 25 coins per place i went to .

if you want a machine that really works you will be dissapointed with the ctx .sure the ctx looks cool and stuff but when you put the ctx up against the deus the deus wins everytime no matter what the task is .the only thing the ctx has going for it is waterproof but whats the point if your missing coins .

this is my honest opinion as i said i was a very loyal minelab customer and stuck up for them all the time till i realised just how bad fbs tech fails in iron .even in trashy parks fbs is just so bad .it really dissapointed me but with the deus now i know why people praise this machine because it really is that good .best of luck with your purchase .

Welcome to the forum, and your review on the two machines. Just wondering who you argued with, in person or online forums? Target separation of the Explorer series has got better with each release but still in iron infested ground it can be tricky and the secret of good targets can be just the speed in which the operator is swinging the coil.

45 minutes of swinging the cCTX and your arm ached? Well you must have issues with your arms then, I'm just say that as I have some serious handicap with the paws and I can still swing the machine for hours without too many problems. Though swinging something slow weighing 5.5lbs instead of something that weighs only a couple of pounds can translate into getting more finds as the operator is not fatigued and not getting sloppy with the coil laying flat instead doing the banana swing.

Owning a machine for less than a year and coming out with such a negative review make me wonder if you really learnt the machine in the first place, that's just my take on using a machine as it really takes a lot of hours on a machine to really know it well. I've owned the CTX for 2 1/2 yrs now and I still am learning the machine in different site locations. Though I'm not saying that you didn't indeed master the capabilities of the CTX quickly and the other machine shaun over the other as stated.

The Dues is still being considered by me as the next machine and reading and hearing all the reviews is great.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know nothing of the CTX, just obtained the deus, it is the best up grade that I most likely will be ever able to afford. What I do know is that in the hands of those who truly understand their machines and are able to milk out the maximum abilities of them, these people are able to do things that the average person fails at. the best detector in the world won't find the stuff if the detectorist isn't fully utilizing its abilities. Thus in the hands of a operator who knows their machine intimately, even a mid range machine can do better than that of someone with the best machine who is so-so with theirs. obviously some machines require a lot more learning or understanding to become proficient than others. one needs to be happy with their choice, confidence makes a world of difference. for me, between age and past severe health issues, weight plays a big part in my decision as well as finances. and the cold hard fact is that no matter what you do, you can't make everyone happy... just the way it is. so you have to weigh the facts and if possible, try both and then decide what is best for you.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think you can say one is better than the other:icon_scratch: they both will have the plus side to them. For me it was a weight issue, that's why I went for the Deus. I hunt with guys who have Minelab and the ones who know how to use them, have no problem digging small saxon coins in heavy iron areas, and they are really small.

SS

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've owned a Deus now for about 7 months. My hunting buddy Smittyman owns a CTX3030. We have hunted together quite a number of time. What I have to tell you might make you sad. But I honestly feel the Deus, around old home sites with heavy iron out produces the 3030 mainly due to it's extremely fast separation capabilities.

When we've hunted open farm field areas the CTX3030 has outperformed my Deus. Smittyman has that gigantic 18" coil and can cover twice as much ground in the same time and I believe gets more depth for sure then the Deus.

So to summarize: If most of your time is spent detecting around older home sites with iron the Deus would be my choice of machines. If you're doing more relic and coin hunting in open areas or fields the CTX3030 would be the way I would go.

Now, if the weight of a machine is important, meaning you're wanting to swing for days without getting tired the Deus blows the CTX3030 away. It's extremely lightweight and very well balanced. As for charging the Deus, you're simply plugging in 3 things as opposed to plugging in two things with the 3030. Not sure why that's an issue.

IF you truly want the best of both worlds buy one of each and you're all set. Just ask Vino!!!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Dues is still being considered by me as the next machine and reading and hearing all the reviews is great.

I might suggest you give a look at the new Nokta machines getting VERY close to hitting the market. I won't believe it till I see it in action, but they are said to have faster separation then even the Deus. Because I hunt mostly high trash and iron infested areas the speed of the machine is my most important feature. This is why I purchased the Deus and also why I went with the 9" coil over the 11" coil. I was happy to sacrifice a tad of depth for better separation. This is what allows you to dig a plug that has a silver dime, a nail and a piece of tin in it. But when you dig it you know there is a good target there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread