fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a work related car accident back in August that messed up my back. I now have to make a choice about surgery on my upper and lower back. After talking with a spine surgeon I am going to try an epidural in my neck. I know it is only temporary. As for the lower back, the doc is talking about putting in plates and screws to stabilize my spine. He would fuse 3 vertebrae in the upper neck if I choose to go that route.
So has anyone here been there, done that? If you had it to do over would you go the same route?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife has had 4 fusions. 2 in her neck and 2 in her mid back. Pain meds, epidural and such are "band-aids". Very temporary. She now has to have 2 steel rods inserted into her back within the next 6 weeks.

My wife's feet were on "fire" at all times. Had her 1st neck fusion and her feet were fixed instantly. Then her arm was just going limp / numb/. Another fusion and it was fixed. Then her legs... another couple. Now she's in so much pain her quality of life is almost null. She has a disease starting with an S. Can't properly spell it (sorry). Now there going to go in and "break" many joints. 5-6 hr. operation and very, very major.

I wish ya the best and going over ALL DOCTORS past is a must. Damn I wish ya the best... best wishes! Brad

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cannot begin to compare your situation to mine as I only have 3 herniated disks, however it happened when I was 18 and now I'm 38. At 30 it all began to take its toll. Feet numb, neck pain, sciatica in both legs, pins and needles, and occasional immobility due to pain. I began contemplating surgery as that is what was offered by my practitioners after a year of physical therapy proved fruitless. One night I was at a bar with a couple friends and started chatting with a rather attractive girl. Turns out she was a personal trainer and started talking about my situation. She asked me if I felt I was in the same physical condition as when I was 18. I said hell no! She then asked me why I thought the herniated disks only started bothering me when I turned 30 as the "problem" had always been there. Well, long story short my muscles in my back could no longer do it's job due to being over weight and under active. She was dead on! For the next year I hit the gym with her at my side. She slowly took the weight off and strengthened my back. My muscles now where able to straighten my back and support my spine much like rods and pins would accomplish. I still have some issues but nothing like it was. This is what worked for me and can't say it will work for you as I'm not a doctor. Surgery should be a last resort in my opinion, GL Mike

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 70 year old sister had neck surgery with some fusing done. Later on she had lower back surgery done with some more fusing I believe. Day she got our of rehab (last spring) , went to the drug store on the way home and could not breath, blood clot to the lung and died. It is major surgery and you can drop dead even if the surgery goes perfect. Think long and hard the side effects are what kills you..
Sorry to be a downer but my wife needs a hip revision and has had both done, one 2 time along with both knees and a herniated disk fixed (did not stay fixed) plus dozens of hip operations as a child. I think after my sisters experience she is going to wait for the hip to fall apart before she gets cut again.. Good luck with your choice, find the best hospital you can and get there even it is on the other coast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread