Florida Bug bites - Prevention?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
What part of Florida- makes a difference.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
25%?

100% is what we use in NY for the mosquitoes and no-see-ums.

Best I have found for effective without totally blinding you if you get some near your eyes is Badger's Bug Balm. It actually smells pretty nice.

I fly R/C aircraft and you don't want a bug behind your glasses as you are trying to concentrate on a plane. Gnats seem to love eyeballs. Look away and they tend to disappear and turn up later in a smoking hole. So I dab a bit of the Badger's around mt cheeks and forehead. Don't dare do that with the 100% DEET.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't think of where you are in Tampa, this time of the year, where you are having such a bug problem... I thought maybe you were in the 'glades.

The state bird is not real active in this weather and the ants, well, you got to be standing on the mound. Summer rains make them pop up, but it's not summer.

Maybe you should sleep in the house.

Be nice to the family, they will let you back in.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Moved to FL about 1 year ago and my hunting was fine using DEET 25%. Now it seems that DEET is just a NEON SIGN saying bite me. Plus the red ant welts... ANY SUGGESTIONS?:BangHead:

25% DEET should be plenty to keep the bugs with teeth away. Are you applying enough? If you miss a spot of exposed skin they will find it. Also, some of the larger bugs can bite you right through a shirt, so make sure you spray your clothing as well.

Gnats are another story, they will buzz around you in a cloud, but they don't bite. Either learn to ignore them (like I do) or get yourself a face net.

As for the fire ants, just watch where you step. Not much else you can do.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread