OK NOW what do I do???????

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I have a little trouble with the notion that the coins are all cleaned out. If the site were hunted heavily, certainly all the easy coins are gone but detectors have gotten much better and go much deeper than they used to. With a modern detector, you should be able to find coins "invisible" to the old coin shooters. Maybe not that many but some.

OP
OP
Youngladd

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
Monk said:
YoungLad, Something like a fairgrounds with buildings can't hide! As you found it, some of the old coinshooter of yrs ago new of it and cleaned it out. The coins didn't sink, there gone! Have a good one.

Unlikely , at least 20 million people have been through there, I should have found something. I know you think they didn't sink, but how many people find 100 year old coins at the sandy beach???

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Monk said:
YoungLad, Something like a fairgrounds with buildings can't hide! As you found it, some of the old coinshooter of yrs ago new of it and cleaned it out. The coins didn't sink, there gone! Have a good one.
This might be true, that if you have found it, others might have also ,years before you.

But there is NO such thing as a hunted out place.

You can read LOTS of posts on this forum and other forums telling of the place they have hunted, that other people have said "there is nothing left" or "it is all hunted out".......and they still find good items.

There is a big park (was a WW1 training camp in 1917) here in my town that I was told was hunted out, when I first started detecting...in the early 1970's.......in the last few months there has been numerous WW1 buttons, some early teens wheat pennies, some buffalo niks, Barber dimes, quarters, and I myself found a 1875 seated half in this hunted out park. This park area has been in use since 1917.

The coins at the area you are searching, might be very deep and maybe few and far between....but when you do find them, I think they should be some very good ones. Like I said in my previous post, pick an area and go over it every which way you can possibly cover it.
Then move to a different area in the 20 acres and try again.

What size coil are you using?? Sometimes shallower trash items will cover up the deeper coins and you have to remove the trash items to get to the deep coins. The detector won't read the coins because the trash is above the coins.
You might have to use a smaller coil 5 or 6 inch to remove all the surface trash-- iron-pulltabs and whatever, then go back with a 9 or 10 inch coil to get the deeper items.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I agree the coins are there... if the trash in within reach, so are the coins...

I might have missed something... but, this from your other post:

Youngladd said:
... I research old sites and strictly coinshoot, I dont like diggin up garbage, so I normally try to profile my target as a coin size object that is non ferrous...

I thought you were just coin shooting? Why are you running full sensitivity? Are you discriminating? Cripes - at full sensitivity your still going to read buried and deep trash.

Youngladd said:
I undrstand what you are saying but Please put all your assumptions aside. let me worry about my skill knowlege and technique.

Ahhh... I remember that...

Hey... what machine did you end up buying? Did you ever say? Sorry in advance if I missed it...

OP
OP
Youngladd

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
Montana Jim said:
I agree the coins are there... if the trash in within reach, so are the coins...

I might have missed something... but, this from your other post:

Youngladd said:
... I research old sites and strictly coinshoot, I dont like diggin up garbage, so I normally try to profile my target as a coin size object that is non ferrous...

I thought you were just coin shooting? Why are you running full sensitivity? Are you discriminating? Cripes - at full sensitivity your still going to read buried and deep trash.

Youngladd said:
I understand what you are saying but Please put all your assumptions aside. let me worry about my skill knowledge and technique.

Ahhh... I remember that...

Hey... what machine did you end up buying? Did you ever say? Sorry in advance if I missed it...

Yes, Montana Jim I research old sites and strictly coinshoot, thats what we are talking about here.This site was supposed to be my gold mine for coins and No, I have not bought a new machine yet, and I certainly would not take a new machine to this site. Again, As I said earlier in this post, I hunted in max sensitivity and "pinpoint mode" no discrim, this allows me to get the deepest detection possible I learned that technique here "http://www.thegoldenolde.com/oldego4.htm" The website owner has passed on, but a wealth of knowledge is there. With the exception of the surface garbage everything was deep and most of the iron objects that I dug were larger than a coin. My buddy hunted his own way and neither of us found a single coin. I simply believe that the coins that are there are too deep for us to detect. I am not sure why you would quote me from those specific posts or what your intent is, but if you have point to make or if you have something to say, you are welcome to express it here without fear or the need to be facetious.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would get a good machine. Its O.K. using all metal mode to maximise depth but there's many machines that will outperform the Bounty Hunter's all metal depth in their discriminate mode. Switch to all metal and they can be even deeper.
Second, 12 hours for two people on a large site is nothing. I have a friend who has been working a similar site for over seven years. He found very little in the first two years as he hadn't hit the coin loss areas. He had the advantage that the landowners family had owned the ground for three generations and no one had ever detected it. From what I remember he had to remove all signals because there was so much target masking from iron, foil and coke/coal. A borrowed Minelab P.I. did not help. Sensitive, but not that deep. Large coils on VLF machines didn't help as target masking and ground effect increased.
The only solution was to clear the ground then detect again....hard work but better than driving round the country for hours looking for sites with less potential.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to be carefull not to reveal the location.

Not if two hunters found zilch in 18 hours. I doubt Boris and Natasha are tracking your every move. :D

Take a quarter and bury it 8" at the site. If you can set your detector to detect it, use those same settings to CAREFULLY search a spot of ground. Use a 30% overlap on the sweeps if necessary. Search five or six seperated spots that thoroughly. Throw a dart at a map or launch a Frisbee to pick where to start if there are no visual clues. You can't hunt a large area, only small bits of it at a time.

I live on 20 acres and have hit about 3% of it well in the year I've been here.

You think ground iron is bad? The Great Lakes region has naturaly occuring copper in the soil. Possibly you are on a local "hot spot" of glacial silt with high amounts of minerals and the detector just can't cut through it. Rent a different model if possible.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
you said iron an pulltabs, were aluminum pull tabs around 50 years ago? i think its probally been hit hard, even though there still should be plenty of coins left

OP
OP
Youngladd

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
Charlie P. (NY) said:
I have to be carefull not to reveal the location.

Not if two hunters found zilch in 18 hours. I doubt Boris and Natasha are tracking your every move. :D

Take a quarter and bury it 8" at the site. If you can set your detector to detect it, use those same settings to CAREFULLY search a spot of ground. Use a 30% overlap on the sweeps if necessary. Search five or six seperated spots that thoroughly. Throw a dart at a map or launch a Frisbee to pick where to start if there are no visual clues. You can't hunt a large area, only small bits of it at a time.

I live on 20 acres and have hit about 3% of it well in the year I've been here.

You think ground iron is bad? The Great Lakes region has naturaly occuring copper in the soil. Possibly you are on a local "hot spot" of glacial silt with high amounts of minerals and the detector just can't cut through it. Rent a different model if possible.

That is a good point, I am going to try to pick a spot and scrape off 6 inches of soil and try a few test and see what happens. If I do find something then that will give me an indication of what I need to do.

OP
OP
Youngladd

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
thompy said:
you said iron an pulltabs, were aluminum pull tabs around 50 years ago? i think its probally been hit hard, even though there still should be plenty of coins left

there were pulltabs on the surface 0-1 inch, none were buried. The pull tabs were not a problem, just the iron and lack of coins. This property is still owned by the orginally family and it was fenced off private and left that way for over 50 years. there are big trees growing out of some of the buildings. My buddy and I hit the central main area including the fountain area hard 12 hours each. The coins have just got to be there, either my machine couldnt detect them or they are too deep.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

I have to be carefull not to reveal the location. <You are right save all that rusty junk for yourself! ;D ;D ;D

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Boy I wish I could say "pull tabs were not a problem" with a straight face.

I join the others in saying you need to take another detector (or 2 with different coils) to the site. If the coins are still there, I putting my money on that.

Daryl

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
I think it was hunted out years ago to. I know of a old once very popular inland swimming hole. When I started to hunt it there were coins rings and junk every few feet. Now you can hunt it for hours and not get a single target. It was totaly cleaned out.[by me] ::) ::) MIke.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Youngladd said:
Yes, Montana Jim I research old sites and strictly coinshoot, thats what we are talking about here.This site was supposed to be my gold mine for coins and No, I have not bought a new machine yet, and I certainly would not take a new machine to this site. Again, As I said earlier in this post, I hunted in max sensitivity and "pinpoint mode" no discrim, this allows me to get the deepest detection possible I learned that technique here "http://www.thegoldenolde.com/oldego4.htm" The website owner has passed on, but a wealth of knowledge is there. With the exception of the surface garbage everything was deep and most of the iron objects that I dug were larger than a coin. My buddy hunted his own way and neither of us found a single coin. I simply believe that the coins that are there are too deep for us to detect. I am not sure why you would quote me from those specific posts or what your intent is, but if you have point to make or if you have something to say, you are welcome to express it here without fear or the need to be facetious.

I was just reminiscing :) I remember lots of folks giving you great advise there... in your other post, and it seems you are still kinda using your settings wrong... so here are some up-front thoughts:

- When you ask for help, don't tell a guy not to worry about your technique.
- I'm not afraid. 8)
- That place seems like the VERY place to take a new machine! ;)
- I own two BH's currently, and have used them since the 1970s. Hear me now believe me later.
- The guy who wrote the article (that you refered to) used a Fisher CZ20 Hip Mount and was on a beach. Although he claims it can be done everyplace, I think you are proof that it cannot. From that site: "This technique will work anywhere but the mineralization will limit your performance." See CharlieP's post.
- Max sensitivity and no discrimination means failure for you in your spot, obviously.
- Bring your "human element" into play, try less and less sensitivity and more and more discrimination.
- That other guys technique (while good for him) is screwing you over in your area...
I'm a relic hunter and even I discriminate most the time... remember, the machine detects everything all the time, you have to decide "when and what it tells you" by discriminating out the trash so it can just "tell you about the treasure". If it has a choice of ringing out a chunk of iron or a little silver coin, that iron is gonna win... everytime IMHO. Allow the coins to ring through for you. Don't try to dig "between" signals like that dude suggests until your swinging the same machine he is. As you already said, your machine cannot ring "faint" because it rings out the same no matter depth/size.

And my last thought... don't take advise from your hunting buddy, he can't find coins either. ;) :D

Listen Youngladd - I wouldn't be responding if I didnt wanna help. Besides, I have to help keep the BH reputation from getting worse! I do wish you the best of luck, many successful hunts and finds.

Don't let all your research go to waste because of the "other guy's technique".

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Youngladd said:
I understand what you are saying but Please put all your assumptions aside. let me worry about my skill knowledge and technique. [/quote

________________________________________________________________________________________
Again, As I said earlier in this post, I hunted in max sensitivity and "pinpoint mode" no discrim, this allows me to get the deepest detection possible I learned that technique here "http://www.thegoldenolde.com/oldego4.htm" The website owner has passed on, but a wealth of knowledge is there.

Asking for advice on a hunting site, and then posting "let me worry about my skill knowledge and tecnique" won't help you with positive answers from some wanting to help you......
As for the website you "learned" one of your techniques from, the Golden Olde's primary detecting location were beaches. You can't tune a detector the same way at a beach AND land and get the same results.
And if you are just looking for coins only,and don't want to dig up trash or junk items in a place that has not been used for 50 years but has had hobo's leaving their trash for who knows how long, you are looking in the wrong location.
Even brand new tot lots have trash items.....

There has been lots of good answers to your question on how to hunt the area, and you are almost arguing on some of them. I thought you wanted suggestions ??? ???

OP
OP
Youngladd

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
Asking for advice on a hunting site, and then posting "let me worry about my skill knowledge and technique" won't help you with positive answers from some wanting to help you......

My quote is totally taken out of context of the that other discusion. Those are my quotes from a different post and subject. I was asking for everyones opinion about which machine to buy because I am in the market to buy one and the discussion turned into a debate about "user" vs "machine" and that particular quote was in response to a my learning curve of a new machine. Its has no value here in this post and will only confuse the issue further. As a matter of fact the advice I did receive from that post was well taken.

Now, back to the current issue, As Montana Jim suggested is possible that I will need different settings or technique to be successful at this site. I generally don't have a problem finding silver, but this site baffles me. Keep the suggestions comming

OP
OP
Youngladd

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
Montana Jim said:
I was just reminiscing :) I remember lots of folks giving you great advise there... in your other post, and it seems you are still kinda using your settings wrong... so here are some up-front thoughts:

- When you ask for help, don't tell a guy not to worry about your technique.
- I'm not afraid. 8)
- That place seems like the VERY place to take a new machine! ;)
- I own two BH's currently, and have used them since the 1970s. Hear me now believe me later.
- The guy who wrote the article (that you refered to) used a Fisher CZ20 Hip Mount and was on a beach. Although he claims it can be done everyplace, I think you are proof that it cannot. From that site: "This technique will work anywhere but the mineralization will limit your performance." See CharlieP's post.
- Max sensitivity and no discrimination means failure for you in your spot, obviously.
- Bring your "human element" into play, try less and less sensitivity and more and more discrimination.
- That other guys technique (while good for him) is screwing you over in your area...
I'm a relic hunter and even I discriminate most the time... remember, the machine detects everything all the time, you have to decide "when and what it tells you" by discriminating out the trash so it can just "tell you about the treasure". If it has a choice of ringing out a chunk of iron or a little silver coin, that iron is gonna win... everytime IMHO. Allow the coins to ring through for you. Don't try to dig "between" signals like that dude suggests until your swinging the same machine he is. As you already said, your machine cannot ring "faint" because it rings out the same no matter depth/size.

And my last thought... don't take advise from your hunting buddy, he can't find coins either. ;) :D

Listen Youngladd - I wouldn't be responding if I didnt wanna help. Besides, I have to help keep the BH reputation from getting worse! I do wish you the best of luck, many successful hunts and finds.

Don't let all your research go to waste because of the "other guy's technique".

Very Good, this is the type of feedback I was looking for. I know that you are an expert and I respect that, believe me your advice is very well received and you probably are correct and I will test that out.

In disc and in all-metal I get the same tone, however in pinpoint the tone is not constant and is helpfull in finding faint signals, just to correct your earlier statement.

However my quote from the other post was taken out of context and since you were part of that prior discussion, you know that. I can appreciate that you were reminiscing but this will confuse the issue and others will read this post and take that post out of context which will further confuse the issue and the original point will be lost. If you really want to help, as you indicated, you are more than welcome to contribute to this discussion.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
It could be possible that the trash is masking the coins. There is more iron than silver at many old sites. I have seen old iron lay near the top and the silver be under it. I would try what Charlie P. had suggested. Although I had read somewhere that tamping the ground could change the matrix of the soil.

Another idea is that the two of you are working too close and your machines are interfering with each other; I ran into this and we couldn't figure out why we weren't getting any hits. We kept the distance to 50+ feet and the problem was solved. To find out if that is the case, in pinpoint mode/all metal (hold the coil 3' off the ground) stand near each other then move away, if the sound is different at a distance that is what is happening. When you determine the distance the interference is gone take that distance x2. That should solve that problem.

BTW, how does you machine work in different areas (parks, tot lots, etc.) if your finding coins there it's not your machine. It could be masking, soil composition, etc. Don't jump out and buy a different machine just yet. 10% to success is the machine, the remainder is the operator. I have worked areas after guys with the more $$ machines, I've found coins and jewelry that they have missed (course I dig every signal above iron too). A friend has a 3300 and he'll beat me everytime against my T2, he has learned his machine and knows exactly what it is telling him. We all have had problem sites, we just need to evaluate why and find the solution.

Sounds like you have a good spot located, nothing is ever hunted out. The others before you just took all the boring stuff, you will find what you are looking for. Patience and determination will always prevail. Let your research work for you, not all research is complete, there always is the unknown/human factor, find old photos, talk to old timers, etc.

Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
Youngladd

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
eagle77 said:
It could be possible that the trash is masking the coins. There is more iron than silver at many old sites. I have seen old iron lay near the top and the silver be under it. I would try what Charlie P. had suggested. Although I had read somewhere that tamping the ground could change the matrix of the soil.

Another idea is that the two of you are working too close and your machines are interfering with each other; I ran into this and we couldn't figure out why we weren't getting any hits. We kept the distance to 50+ feet and the problem was solved. To find out if that is the case, in pinpoint mode/all metal (hold the coil 3' off the ground) stand near each other then move away, if the sound is different at a distance that is what is happening. When you determine the distance the interference is gone take that distance x2. That should solve that problem.

BTW, how does you machine work in different areas (parks, tot lots, etc.) if your finding coins there it's not your machine. It could be masking, soil composition, etc. Don't jump out and buy a different machine just yet. 10% to success is the machine, the remainder is the operator. I have worked areas after guys with the more $$ machines, I've found coins and jewelry that they have missed (course I dig every signal above iron too). A friend has a 3300 and he'll beat me everytime against my T2, he has learned his machine and knows exactly what it is telling him. We all have had problem sites, we just need to evaluate why and find the solution.

Sounds like you have a good spot located, nothing is ever hunted out. The others before you just took all the boring stuff, you will find what you are looking for. Patience and determination will always prevail. Let your research work for you, not all research is complete, there always is the unknown/human factor, find old photos, talk to old timers, etc.

Good luck and keep us posted.

will do thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread