OK NOW what do I do???????

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Sand has to be the most unstable of environments for coins which means they sink deep. Here is an excellent article by Dankowski regarding his experiences in Florida which is sand city.

http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/loveisdeep.htm

The coin depths he was seeing in a sand environment(I assume because it was in Florida) at one location was
60's coins 8.5"
50's coins 10"
20's coins 11"
1890's coins 12"

It is a good article and I quote him on his last paragraph

"How do you know what you are missing, if you do not know that it even exists! As a coin sinks in the earth, the deeper it goes the slower it will sink because the dirt is more compacted at depth. Once again, the coin will stop sinking when it reaches the level in the soil that is compacted enough to equal the density of the coin; and that’s deep! How many areas do you think you have passed over and missed good targets? I think that you would be startled if I were to tell you that the answer would be just about every time you turn on your detector. When your favorite manufacturer releases a new detector that goes a little deeper, you will have major things to look forward to. "

George

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
bakergeol said:
Sand has to be the most unstable of environments for coins which means they sink deep. Here is an excellent article by Dankowski regarding his experiences in Florida which is sand city.

The coin depths he was seeing in a sand environment(I assume because it was in Florida) at one location was
60's coins 8.5"
50's coins 10"
20's coins 11"
1890's coins 12"

"How do you know what you are missing, if you do not know that it even exists! As a coin sinks in the earth, the deeper it goes the slower it will sink because the dirt is more compacted at depth. Once again, the coin will stop sinking when it reaches the level in the soil that is compacted enough to equal the density of the coin; and that’s deep! How many areas do you think you have passed over and missed good targets? I think that you would be startled if I were to tell you that the answer would be just about every time you turn on your detector. When your favorite manufacturer releases a new detector that goes a little deeper, you will have major things to look forward to. "

George

This doesn't make things any easier....but it does help validate your suspicions..

OP
OP
Youngladd

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
bakergeol said:

60's coins 8.5"
50's coins 10"
20's coins 11"
1890's coins 12"

George

Well there you go, This explains everything, That is the answer, the soil I am hunting is pure sand just like Florida, by this estimate all the coins I'm a looking for are 10 inches or deeper, I have found silver coins with my detector in clay but at much less depth. As I stated in the beginning the coins are sunk and I cant detect them, Unless you guys know something I don't, no amount of settings or technique will get me good readings beyond 10 inches with my $100 detector. I am going to need a better machine and perhaps a bigger coil. It makes sense now because most of the iron objects and rocks I dug up were 7- 8 inches and most were larger surface area objects. and because its sand and subject to rainwater and winter, the clad is probaby down there too which would explain why we didnt find anything. I am still going to perform all the tests you guys suggested to be safe.

Your thoughts

Canadian Cossack

Dec 26, 2006
Nova Scotia
I think the coins are there...

I think you have to rake, or shovel, off the surface in a test area to prove/disprove the sinking coin theory. If you find stuff... great! Problem solved, well, at least the problem is understood.

If you find nothing... then your problem is... ongoing...

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
I think the coins are there too...hopefully the test area will prove it. I would like to see the sinking results duplicated....it would make me pay more attention to the depth of recoveries at any site to determine what's going on below..definitely keep us posted..

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
Something's fishy - what kind of machines are you guys using? Items do sink in sand, but not even a Wheatie?
Just for your peace of mind - crank up the sensitivity and hunt in all-metal. Dig the deep/soft signals for an hour, and see if your finding improves.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
At this point this is the 67th reply to this post! Maybe it is time to try a different spot or get a better detector! ;)

OP
OP
Youngladd

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
DFX-Gregg said:
At this point this is the 67th reply to this post! Maybe it is time to try a different spot or get a better detector! ;)

So, thats OK, this is a complex issue, and the site has a potential to be a gold mine. I agree a better detector may be in order, but I would apprciate more suggestions.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Do you have access to another detector? Is your detector working properly? Why not take some change to site and see if you are getting readings? I have gone to areas with emi (electrical interference) and my detector has either gone crazy, found nothing or sounded like it was being raped!

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
In my own personal opinion, I don't think there are any more suggestions we can make. Some very skilled people (I'm not in their league in experience) have offered just about everything possible.

- bury several silver coins at different depths in undisturbed soil
- try different detector
- try larger coil
- rake away a layer of soil and look there
- look for EMI
- look for detector interference
- site hunted out
- and on and on and on

And yet we are asked for more suggestions.

The only suggestion I can make is try what has already been suggested, give us some results, and come back for some good analysis.

Daryl

OP
OP
Youngladd

Youngladd

Dec 26, 2006
Fox Lake Illinois
Detector(s) used
BH 3300, BH Challenger
BioProfessor said:
In my own personal opinion, I don't think there are any more suggestions we can make. Some very skilled people (I'm not in their league in experience) have offered just about everything possible.

- bury several silver coins at different depths in undisturbed soil
- try different detector
- try larger coil
- rake away a layer of soil and look there
- look for EMI
- look for detector interference
- site hunted out
- and on and on and on

And yet we are asked for more suggestions.

The only suggestion I can make is try what has already been suggested, give us some results, and come back for some good analysis.

Daryl

Will do

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread