DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone from japan ever run into japanese hornets while detecting ? Ewwwww.
Oh yeah,Not from Japan but we have them around here,and they pack quite the wallop.I have always called them wood-bees ,around here they seem to like to burrow in dead trees and nest in hallows.I disturbed a nest a couple summers ago cutting down a dead tree for fire wood.There is another nasty customer around here,those little white faced hornets.No bigger then a small fly,but them little suckers are nasty!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
They call them news bees down in the Smokys,my Neighbor Jim said they don't sting,right...they are damn painful I'll tell ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOD Bless

Chris

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones we got look just like the video but they live in the ground. Here they are called "cicada killers" cause they attack them in flight and ride them to the ground and eat them.There are hundreds in the garden each year when it's hot and dry. they burrow 2-3 per hole. Had one sting me on top my foot and couldn't hardly walk for a week. Left a hole that looked like you stuck me with a lead pencil.No fun. You keep them.

Wade

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We get paperwasps (rarely bite unless you duisturb the nest), mud wasps (never bite), yellowjackets/ground wasps (bite a lot but mostly annoying - most folks hereabouts erroniously call them "bees") and bald faced hornets (OwOwOwOw!!!). Also called white-faced hornets; black & white little buggers. I was working on a roof and three of the latter started going to town on my arm and more circling. Mandibles and stingers going. I ran off the back of the roof (only about a ten foot drop there). My arm looked like Popeye's later that day and my heart was racing. I take them seriously; but then I may be allergic or something.

Yellowjackets are attracted to sweet. A friend was at our boat and took a swig of soda and started yelping. One had flown into the can and nailed him on the tongue! That must have stung! (N'yuk, N,yuk).

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a ground nest of Yellow Jackets under the grape vine across the driveway from the back door. Being a direct action type of guy, I waited until after dark when they were all in their hole. Then I took a pound can of 3F black powder I used in my 1861 revolver, put a funnel into the tiny hole, and quickly commenced pouring powder so that none of the critters could get out and attack. Used about half the can, put a fuse in the hole to the nest, lit it and stood back. It was like an upside down rocket ship for a short time, then boom, and there were smoking chunks of nest much like a paper wasp would make. Really burned a huge hole in the grapes. If I ever do it again, I'll take pictures, it's fun for everyone but the yellow jackets.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We have ground hornets, yellow jackets, red wasps, dirt dobbers (both black and the yellow/black versions) and a newer one that looks like a yellow jacket...but about 2/3 size and less aggressive. Gotta look that one up.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
put those yellowjacket traps out even before the snow melts.get the ones with the pheremone bait.you can only catch the queens in early spring.I ended our usual summer problem around my house this way.hardly ever see on anymore but was bad for years previously.

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did this work?
Had a ground nest of Yellow Jackets under the grape vine across the driveway from the back door. Being a direct action type of guy, I waited until after dark when they were all in their hole. Then I took a pound can of 3F black powder I used in my 1861 revolver, put a funnel into the tiny hole, and quickly commenced pouring powder so that none of the critters could get out and attack. Used about half the can, put a fuse in the hole to the nest, lit it and stood back. It was like an upside down rocket ship for a short time, then boom, and there were smoking chunks of nest much like a paper wasp would make. Really burned a huge hole in the grapes. If I ever do it again, I'll take pictures, it's fun for everyone but the yellow jackets.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like our Yellow Jackets.

Only time they bother me is when I'm eating Funnel Cake at the fair.
they try to sneak a taste off my lips.

I did step on one of their Ground nests once
I didn't count the stings as they went up my pants legs & Shirt .

But Killer ?

naa ! I'd guess only if your allergic

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like a yellow jacket on steroids.They like to swarm around our flood lights on the porch in the summer nights.I had one get me in the arm one time,and it felt like a big man drew back and hit me in my arm as hard as he could.I would hate to get into a big nest of them.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Did this work?

It did on that nest, left a small hole in the ground, and a huge hole in the grapes, for which my wife had some strong words about. Women don't understand collateral damage. Since then I've set out yellow jacket traps every year, and we haven't had a big problem with them.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like you where just having some fun with them.We usually just wait until the edge of dark and poor gasoline in their hole,usually takes care of the problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread