Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like to forage for wild goodies while I detect, even more fun when I'm just walking along eyeballing.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I love the taste of Indian Cucumber, I love to eat the roots as I metal detect or hike in the woods, I made a salad with it once. Wild blueberries and raspberries and all over the place too, I will pick some of them if I see them. Wintergreen leaf is a nice thing to chew while I am hiking or metal detecting

I love how people react if i'm hiking with them and they see me eat an indian cucumber. I will tell them that they are great and give them one, some people will not want to try one, but most people will try them if I wash it off and say that it tastes amazing than dig up more.

Here is the root
p1030650.jpg
It taste like a cucumber except much more crisp and vibrant, not an extremely strong/acquired taste either.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Shaggy manes, Morels, (Liberty Caps many moons ago), Chaga, Wintergreen, Fiddleheads, berries, wild Asparagus, acorns and the big one MAPLE SYRUP.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and other things I can definitely identify.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Wainzoid, the smell of dairy air is the smell of money. At least that's what I was told about the smell from the paper mills.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You all sound like Euell Gibbons to me.:notworthy:

I forgot about him, didn't he die from slivers in the intestines? Just joking. But as I recall, if it didn't move, he ate it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Morels and maple syrup. The latter only occasionally. That's a HELL of a lot of work gathering and, worse, supplying a fire for 12 hours or more of boiling down.

Better are: trout, perch, walleye, grouse and whitetail deer. I seldom keep trout except the rare lake or brown trout I blunder into on Cayuga or Seneca Lake.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
How can spring be confirmed without morels?
Plantain, sassafras, dandelions , fish and meat, oh yes they are sought in season.

Last edited:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sassafras root bark, Bloodroot, Mayapple root, Raspberries, Blackberries, gooseberries, elderberries, mulberries, morels, Wild Leeks (ramps), wild (feral) hops for homebrewing, wood burls, and a variety of herbs for drying as well as their seeds. Wildcrafting is awesome; you can only dig that coin out of the ground once, but these natural treasures come back every year.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot about him, didn't he die from slivers in the intestines? Just joking. But as I recall, if it didn't move, he ate it.

Back then, I wanted to eat all the wild food in my area. I bought a couple books on eating wild plants. One day I made tea from white pine needles. It was nasty tasting stuff. I could taste it all day. It abruptly put a stop to eating wild plants. Now I only eat berries and leeks.

OP
OP
wainzoid

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
How can spring be confirmed without morels?
Plantain, sassafras, dandelions , fish and meat, oh yes they are sought in season.

I forgot about dandelion. Im guessing you mean the fresh spring leaves, hot, in a dressing with bacon? Like endive or hot lettuce ? A friend of mine says she fries or deep fries the flower?!?!? I've never tried them

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to hunt morels every spring. Sassafras, nuts, berries, fish,meat,and some of the stuff my grandfather collected, persimmins, rhubarb, ramps, mints,...

I haven't looked for much in recent years. All of our good places that family members hunt are dwindling each year to development and new hunters so most of us younger generation leave the spaces alone for the older people. Or if we go hunting morels we just do it for fun and take them to the older family members. They enjoy them more than I do! I've had a few bad experiences with wild mushrooms....anyone knows what I mean if you've ever eaten them undercooked! You will need lots of TP and it will feel like you ate a wild animal that wants out!!!:laughing7:

For anyone who doesn't know. Some of the wild mushrooms have something in them that when cooked evaporates? out. If eaten raw some of our bodies can't handle whatever it is that cooks out. Some type of acid I think.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I forgot about dandelion. Im guessing you mean the fresh spring leaves, hot, in a dressing with bacon? Like endive or hot lettuce ? A friend of mine says she fries or deep fries the flower?!?!? I've never tried them

Young greens go in with salad.If no plantain for taco's, chopped young dandelion can work.
A neighbor years ago used blossoms in cookies.
I prefer them to end up wine.
Spring green tonic I suppose. Cooked up they get kinda funky spin-achy but have to have a batch of young leaves each spring just to be sure....
Maybe I'll roast some roots this year and see how near coffee they might be.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to hunt morels every spring. Sassafras, nuts, berries, fish,meat,and some of the stuff my grandfather collected, persimmins, rhubarb, ramps, mints,...

I haven't looked for much in recent years. All of our good places that family members hunt are dwindling each year to development and new hunters so most of us younger generation leave the spaces alone for the older people. Or if we go hunting morels we just do it for fun and take them to the older family members. They enjoy them more than I do! I've had a few bad experiences with wild mushrooms....anyone knows what I mean if you've ever eaten them undercooked! You will need lots of TP and it will feel like you ate a wild animal that wants out!!!:laughing7:

For anyone who doesn't know. Some of the wild mushrooms have something in them that when cooked evaporates? out. If eaten raw some of our bodies can't handle whatever it is that cooks out. Some type of acid I think.

I don,t know what might cook out but mushrooms can affect people differently over periods of time. A small sample of a known edible variety are tried first with a raw specimen reserved in case of a problem. Time allowed to be sure of no reaction before eating more. It can change year to year and alcohol is considered a no, no when consuming them by some authorities due to possible greater reactions.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a main reason that issues arise with undercooked but otherwise safe edible fungi is that many mushrooms contain some carbohydrates and proteins that are indigestible to humans when raw. Of course, there are also some undesirable chemicals present in some shrooms which are destroyed in the cooking process, but I'd bet most gastrointestinal discord comes from the strange carbs and protein that our bodies unsuccessfully attempt to digest.

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The blossoms are great fried but you must remove the green outer part of it.Leave the "stem attached,dip in liquid batter and stand them up in the skillet.Only thing is when you bite into it, it feel like you have a bumblebee in your mouth!

Black locust blossoms are great right off the tree or made into pancakes. They're so sweet you don't need syrup.No one mentioned asparagus. Find it in the wild a lot.Cattails are good. Fix daylily pods just like you would greenbeans.There's a whole world of great food out there we are neglecting!

Wade

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don,t know what might cook out but mushrooms can affect people differently over periods of time. A small sample of a known edible variety are tried first with a raw specimen reserved in case of a problem. Time allowed to be sure of no reaction before eating more. It can change year to year and alcohol is considered a no, no when consuming them by some authorities due to possible greater reactions.

Took me a few to find it. I got sick as can be. lol From morels and woodsmans? dog petters? sry don't know the real name. lol Later found out from Grandfather that undercooked there is something that cooks out of them that gives you the runs. Still trying to find what cooks out.:dontknow:

Found it.....sry, not trying to side track! Just trying to save someone from making my mistake! lol

https://books.google.com/books?id=5...ge&q=True morels amino acid cooks out&f=false

Taken from wiki.

Toxicities can also occur with collection of morels. Even true morels, if eaten raw, will cause gastrointestinal upset. Therefore, morels should always be thoroughly cooked before eating. Verpa bohemica, although referred to as "thimble morels" or "early morels" by some, have caused toxic effects in some individuals.[15] "False morels" or Gyromitra spp., are deadly poisonous if eaten raw. They contain a toxin called gyromitrin, which can cause neurotoxicity, gastrointestinal toxicity, and destruction of the blood cells.[16] The Finns consume the mushroom after parboiling, but it is not known whether this renders the mushroom entirely safe, resulting in its being called the "fugu of the Finnish cuisine."

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread