Starting to feel Down On Detecting esp, Relic Hunting.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you might want to diversify!

I'm a bottle/dump digger at heart and the hobby has been many many times more interesting and rewarding than metal detecting, which I only really do when a good site opens up or I don't have the energy to sink 6 or 7 foot deep trenches that day, but still feel like being outside.

When one can hit a dump and bring home this at the end of the day:
1001805_10102703268959150_1668066542_n.jpg

Or this:
1000694_10102659857371320_31859679_n.jpg

Or...
10400639_780617713700_9882_n.jpg

Or...
970475_10102761559803830_1341586179_n.jpg

...Then swinging a detector all day in hopes of a few common silvers doesn't really cut it.

I seriously recommend getting out and digging for bottles if relic detecting hasn't been satisfying you lately.

I do a little bottle digging from time to time. I would do it more often if I had some more new dumps. I agree, if you want to find stuff guarantied bottle digging is a good thing to try. You could be almost sure you will find a few bottles each time out bottle digging unlike not knowing if you will find a penny or a gold coin metal detecting, I love metal detecting for that reason though.

Here is some of my little collection of bottles I found.
20150228_200239.jpg 20150228_200341.jpg

I have three shelves full of bottles that I found only over a total time of two months. I think it is a very rewarding hobby.

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!!!
Only 2 months That's Awesome.
Please educate me on finding old bottle dumps.
Whats the Best probe I can Get?---Or Make?
Thx
Davers

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9 hours Yesterday.

Produced , 1 Nice Dropped Enfield, 3 Fired Enfields, 1 Flat 3 ringer, & a Nice Williams Type 3 Cleaner w/o it's Zinc Base. A good day In my book.

I also got 10+ dirty Looks, 2 Do you have Permission ?'s, 3 What is it your dong here ?'s
&
2 diff , old timers asking " If I was Doing any Good" then they went on to say How this areas been Hunted Hard Forever & one Guy spent every weekend for an entire Year in the woods across from his House...The older Guy's were Cool & the ones in their 30's or early 40's -Gave off the "I'm better than you Vibe".....Some People:BangHead:

I saw Many, Many Homes on 3 or more Acres that I need to "grow Some":tongue3: And go ask Permission For. 'I also clean up all trash that I can Carry' lol

VERY GLAD to have Found Something.
&
To know their "Context"/ 'Area Found' to me is Priceless.
Davers

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW!!!!
Only 2 months That's Awesome.
Please educate me on finding old bottle dumps.
Whats the Best probe I can Get?---Or Make?
Thx
Davers

I only have done two real dumps, but each dump produced enough to keep me there for a quite awhile.
You can find old dumps with your metal detector. That is how I found all of mine. There is a lot of iron in dumps so if you get an erratic overload signal on your metal detector dig and if you see more than just iron such as broken glass and china you got a dump. Try near old wells because people would walk to the well and bring their trash with them so they can dump it on the way, one of my best dumps from circa 1900 that produced 40% of my collection was found 10 feet away from a well. My other dump was found next to a foundation in the woods of my backyard. The dumps were pretty obvious when I went over them on my metal detector. My metal detector does an alarm when it senses big metal so I get that signal whenever I get close to the dumps. On the first and best dump I was at I was still digging 5 feet down and finding bottles from the late 1800's. Just try metal detecting in areas close to cellar holes and wells and look for erratic signals, it is best to check those places in all metal mode.

Good luck on finding a dump. Also, that two months means trying one dump for one month and another for another month with a lot of time between each dump. I went at least three days a week for anywhere from one to four hours. My goal this year is to find a very early dump. I found an 1840's bottle on the surface of a 1950's dump, that might mean that an old dump may be under the 1950's dump. I never checked and hope to check when the snow melts.

Just my two cents, Coinman123
220px-1865_Two_Cent_Reverse.png

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the Tips.
I've likely walked over a few in my time.
GL
Finding more Dumps.
Davers

OP
OP
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down Again.

Last 3 Hunts.
Today ..5 hours 3 sites = much trash & 1 fired 32 cal round ball , Ill take it.
Sunday 7 Hours 2 sites= 1 Fired Spencer ( good) & 1 Toasted Wheat (also Cool)
Site 2 First Target 1 big Minnie size Smashed or Hammered piece of White Patina'd Lead, then 3 hours of Shotgun Shells & a Couple brass What is it's.

Sunday March 8 = My good ole Campsite Gave 1 Dropped 32 cal Ball , 3 22 Bullets , 1 22 Shell. No other Signals other than the Can's & old Bottles with aluminum Caps & rings That I have named over the past 3 years.. In a 7 hour hunt.

Oh well I really Struggle at talking to Land owners.

Still not giving up, just down right now.
Was just talking to the Kennessaw Wild Man Dent Myers Yesterday about all the Sites that Were..:BangHead::BangHead:
Davers

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread