-4 degrees? Youve got to be kidding me?!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Come on already. We've been punished enough. Will the beatings continue until morale improves? My heating bill is wayyy up, my mood way down, and my uncleaned artifacts are now really really clean. My friend, a transplant from DownEast Maine is even crying uncle and we live in NJ! I can't imagine being in Boston or Maine. How goes it up there? Im betting on at least another month until the ground is thawed here. My wife can't stand me any longer in the house...her honey-do list is finished and I'm koo-koo for cocoa puffs;)

Come on! Vent already! I'm listening.

We're almost there

Attachments

• image-893800403.jpg
    image-893800403.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 67

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
This winter has been downright horrible. Mother nature tricked me yesterday with a heatwave, then the next day it is below zero. To think that in a week it is March and I wanted to be already metal detecting at that point. I have had it below zero pretty often this winter, last winter it was very uncommon. I was able to metal detect until early January, I figured that this would be a mild winter. I even posted so here in Early January, I told everyone it would be a mild winter, I think jinxed everyone.

Good luck this winter, Coinman123

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This winter has been downright horrible. Mother nature tricked me yesterday with a heatwave, then the next day it is below zero. To think that in a week it is March and I wanted to be already metal detecting at that point. I have had it below zero pretty often this winter, last winter it was very uncommon. I was able to metal detect until early January, I figured that this would be a mild winter. I even posted so here in Early January, I told everyone it would be a mild winter, I think jinxed everyone. Good luck this winter, Coinman123

I was thinking the same thing man. I was on a 10-silver winning streak and then the door slammed shut! I have not been out since. Check the ground every day but hell no. I even bought a pick-ax and tried it, and it was like hitting concrete. Thought about inventing something, and did, but it was just a system to cool my beers using outside air in my workspace

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking the same thing man. I was on a 10-silver winning streak and then the door slammed shut! I have not been out since. Check the ground every day but hell no. I even bought a pick-ax and tried it, and it was like hitting concrete. Thought about inventing something, and did, but it was just a system to cool my beers using outside air in my workspace

I was finding items that I never expected to find left and right, I broke a couple of my personal records with 8 colonial buttons in a day, my best weeks ever. I just got permission to hunt at my dream location that I have always only dreamed of metal detecting, an early 1700's farm field, right before winter bad. They gave me an open invitation... until they started plowing the field in April. I barely had time to go there just before winter struck and found some colonial artifacts, very promising. When the ground froze I just used my shovel as a pick axe until it started to bend. Perfect timing for winter, right:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I was finding items that I never expected to find left and right, I broke a couple of my personal records with 8 colonial buttons in a day, my best weeks ever. I just got permission to hunt at my dream location that I have always only dreamed of metal detecting, an early 1700's farm field, right before winter bad. They gave me an open invitation... until they started plowing the field in April. I barely had time to go there just before winter struck and found some colonial artifacts, very promising. When the ground froze I just used my shovel as a pick axe until it started to bend. Perfect timing for winter, right:laughing7:

Wow. That is something! You better pray for some heat to thaw that ground before April! Sounds VERY promising.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, Do I feel bad now. I was grumbling a while ago about having to bring the plants in. It might get to about 34 or so. Been in my jacket all day. Hope it breaks for you yall pretty soon. Watching the news of the weather up there is down right scary to a Southern guy....

Does the ground really get so frozen you can bend a digger?

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain it's not any better here in north central Pa.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, Do I feel bad now. I was grumbling a while ago about having to bring the plants in. It might get to about 34 or so. Been in my jacket all day. Hope it breaks for you yall pretty soon. Watching the news of the weather up there is down right scary to a Southern guy....

What you talking about? Bending a digger because of the frozen ground, If you lived up here you'd know that's down right silly talk, bending a digger in frozen ground, heck you can't bend it because you can't get it in the ground in the first place because it's too darn frozen, frozen like rock. :laughing7: It's not dry hard like your southern soils where a digger gets hot and it can bend, no sir our steel stays cold, hardened, doesn't bend up here, till mid summer then it's too darn hot to detect, ground is too hard and dry, black flies eaten the crap out a person, then the horse flies taken chunks, then there the swarms of blood sucking mosquitos. Then there's ticks sinking in giving a person a scare while sucking and burping their crap into the veins. Yup bring it on getting the fever sitting in this frozen landscape.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy crap you make it sound like a late night horror movie!

I've made it North twice. However both times were around May and nice weather.

I've been to DC and surrounding. Big history buff, so Smithsonian...The National Mall...National Cemetery...Bull Run....Antietam...Harper's Ferry...few others. Then all the way over to Gettysburg. Gotta say, beautiful country guys. When it's WARM!

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No offense pepperj....noticed the flag. Just didn't make it quite THAT far North.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok friends. -30 windchill here in Midcoast Maine tonight. -45 in central and northern Maine. I had to go out and buy a 55" Sony 4k tv and that didn't even help with my depression. I'm literally going crazy here. I'm depressed, my beautiful gf is depressed. It just sucks! My dog refuses to go out. I told her she can poop on the floor if she wants lol. Ok that's not true but I had to shovel tracks in the 38" snow in my backyard. Hard to poop when your ass is only 18" off the ground and the snow is double that. My furnace hasn't shut off for a month solid and the roads are terrible. The snow banks are so high that if you drive a car forget it. Dangerous as hell trying to pull out in to the street cause you can't see past the snow. So I am chauffeuring my girl around in my Tahoe. Problem with that is that the roads are so narrow in spots that two trucks can barely squeeze by eachother because there's nowhere to put the damn snow. I refuse to go to work when it's this cold. I bought a new coin microscope which is great but it ain't a replacement for putting my hands in the dirt and pulling out sweet colonial treasures. My last hunt back in December or January I found a complete shoe buckle, a 1772 half Reales/cuff link and an 1802 real. So I get to sit here wrapped in blankets withy pup wondering what's waiting for me in that frozen ground under all of that snow. Rrrrrrrr I fu*#%ng hate this....sorry kids

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw She's PISSED too. Come on this is ridiculous
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah we've also gained about 8lbs a piece. Wtf else are we gonna do but lay on the couch and eat....and get fat!!!!!!!!

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This winter has been terrible down here! It's 32° here right now and some news outlets are calling for heavy snowfall on Thursday. Oh well, I have time to shop detectors now.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This ground gets so hard that you can't even begin to chip a piece out of it. It's like cement. I'm not exaggerating. I tried to take a hatchet out one time when it wasn't nearly this cold and it barely scratched it. If it wasn't for all of this colonial treasure in the ground here I might be calling myself a southern guy

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I started off the year with two gold rings and a class ring return, even had a couple of days that actually reached 70 and then the bottom fell out, been pretty much stuck inside between the rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow. what makes things even worse here, is so many don't know how to drive in the winter stuff and create more havoc for the ones that do. it is all up and down here in the mountains and then the curves with people still trying to drive 50 to 60 miles per hour. all that said, I do feel for all of you up north and to the east that are getting hammered. I hate the high winter heating bills and the high summer cooling bills, I have become a fair weather everything person. but I guess it could always be worse, we could become another siberia

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just never ends. Ok I'm done complaining
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424778686.548477.jpg

cjrjr507

Sep 24, 2006
Libby, Mt.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another arctic blast coming next friday for northwest montana and into next week. So much for a warm start to march. March is coming in like a lion as usual. Oh brother. Old man winter is getting old real fast. I want to go detecting !!! Arrgghh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread