What to do with road kill (lawn mower) pennies?

Magooru

Aug 13, 2013
Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett GTI 2000 (sold), White's XLT(sold), Garrett AT Pro, Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checking to see what everyone does with the pennies they find that are missing bits and pieces thanks to the lawn mowers. My bank wouldn't take them and didn't have any suggestions on what to do with them.

Maybe I can save them up for the IRS.

Last edited:
S

stefen

USE THEM TO SEED A PARK FOR OTHERS TO ENJOY THE HUNT...WHAT'S TO LOSE...50 CENTS OR SO?

THINK OF ALL OF THE SMILES AND BUTT-PUCKERS:thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Every time i bought something and the cost was 53 cents..27 cents 64 cents for the the cent part that was pennies that is what i use them for.. *.. likE $5.53 they would get 3 beat up pennies there is always ways to get rid of money i never have a problem..

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could you melt them and take them in for scrap? Not sure if a scrap yard would take them in penny form but it might not hurt to call and ask.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Could you melt them and take them in for scrap? Not sure if a scrap yard would take them in penny form but it might not hurt to call and ask.

Long long ago, and far far away, I was a kid with a chemistry set. In the process of random mixing experiments, Sulfur and Zinc powder were mixed together, and then heated, the idea was to make zinc sulphate. During the heating process, it exploded, which was a very important discovery to a young budding scientist. Later I learned that zinc and sulfur are sometimes used as fuel in rocket motors. I've never tried to burn a zinc penny, but I'd look into it a bit more before trying to melt a zinclon. I know welding on galvanized pipe creates smoke and fumes you don't want to breathe.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn...I thought I'd learn some new recipes.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones that still have some resemblance of being a penny I spend when odd change is needed.

I do have a few that are only the zinc cores no copper costing left, that I too don't know what to do with.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I throw them away and forget about em.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to throw them in my purse and spend them, but I really didn't like handling the crusty things and felt a bit guilty giving them to merchants. So now I just toss them once I am sure what they are. Very important since I once dug what I thought was an extremely encrusted zincoln penny, but as I gave it a second look, realized that the size was just a hair smaller than a penny. After soaking it in lemon juice and picking the crust off, I was looking at my first seated dime. Really really thin from all the corrosion, but readable.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Sell 'em on ebay 50% of face someone will buy them:laughing7:. Just kidding on that. My banks will take them, just try another bank and say that, "I found them metal detecting and am wondering if I could get cash for them" Have them out and count them with the teller. It works for me. I admit, I once had a roll of metal detecting quarters and I just put a shiny quarter on each end.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh my gosh, that is so funny.

I ran a quick calculation... not only are you not getting your face value worth of the coins, you're also on the hook for shipping costs! LOL I'm thinking mutilated coins either go to the gas station penny jar, or get used as experimental craft hobby items. :)

You could try sending them back to the mint. http://www.usmint.gov/email/MUTILATEDCOIN.pdf

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fill a 5 Gallon Plastic water Jug & bury it where you are sure people
(like diggers,or boom baby) detect :thumbsup:

seriously though, Don't scatter them :( That is just rude :(

Make it a laughable surprise

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A- don't dig them up. ( AT Pro can identify them %90 of the time )
B- if you do accidently dig one up throw it away
C- Carry on
D- Repeat above

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Put them on the railroad tracks.

After about 3 trains they should be thin enough to work with.

Then construct yourself a copper still, brew some shine, and drink to your success!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those actually aren't lawn mower victims - what you have there are "zincolns" ! the zinc simply cannot handle ground minerals and
moisture . Lawn mower cents will have sharp linear cuts where the blades have hacked them , notice yours are full of leprous pock
marked holes and rot ! I'd chuck em in the nearest garbage pail .

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those actually aren't lawn mower victims - what you have there are "zincolns" ! the zinc simply cannot handle ground minerals and
moisture . Lawn mower cents will have sharp linear cuts where the blades have hacked them , notice yours are full of leprous pock
marked holes and rot ! I'd chuck em in the nearest garbage pail .

correct :thumbsup:

"leprous pock" ? I like that !

is that like "another in the pock !!" :laughing7:

Last edited:

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just cant make myself throw away something that i took the time to dig up. Guess ill start another jar and stare at them.lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread