Headphone Advice

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

Looking for some advice on purchasing new headphones, currently, I’m looking at the “DetectorPro Gray Ghost NDT” and the “Killer B Wasp optima”. Any comments on these or additional headphone brands to think about would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Professor

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Professor, I hate headphones.
I do understand relying on them for "faint" signals. That said and with summer heat coming, I use ear buds from an iPhone 5 if needed. Much less cumbersome, alleviates sweat and they cancel noise fairly well.
The headphones that came with my ETrac are junk. I also have a set of Jolly Rogers that cancel so much noise I kept one ear open when used.
So many new designs have arrived these days, it's hard to keep up.
Good luck.
Peace ✌

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello CincinnatiKid,

Thank you for the reply. I never thought to use iPhone ear buds or anything other than the standard headphones. I wonder about wireless headphones (2.4 GHz) eliminating the tether between the machine and operator. I believe Bluetooth would have a delay, but someone may have a solution to that aspect of the problem. Thanks again!

Regards,

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DetectorPro, Sunray, Killer B, all are great headphones. From what I've researched Sunray has the best audio of them all. Gl Mike

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like the big headphones because they are too warm in summer, and the ear buds come out too easily, so I buy light weight stereo headphones, maybe 1 1/2 inches or so wide so they barely cover your ears, and run about $15 a pair. You have to buy a stereo converter that turns the 1/8 inch plug into a 1/4 inch though.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back when we first started in detecting it was always getting a real good stereo headphones. Then the times changed and the electronics and when I tried the Koss I just about tossed and grabbed the set of Bose stereo headphones, didn't sound good. So I have two sets of GG NDT's and all I can say they're great. The company is stand up for repairs as I'm always tearing them off the head ploughing through the brush it seems so they take a beating. I find them a little tight on the head and after 10 hrs it kind of hurt where the eye glasses fit along the ears,(fixed that problem and got a new pair of glasses) and a tad sweaty. But as far as sound goes I really like the headphones with the mine lab products.

I don't think I could even detect without a pair of headphones, it would be totally strange to do so.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a set of Black Widows (DetectorPro's top line) and thay are fantastic. But they weigh as much as my detector and are black, and so hot in the direct sun. I also have a one-ear Rattler (also DetectorPro) that is my most used. I can hear the action in the ground as well as around me. 65% lighter than the Widows.

I recently bought a pair of Phillips ear-buds that have loops that go over & behind the ears. Intent was to use them with my .mp3 player as wireless headphones with a Scosche wireless Tx that plugs into the detector so I could wear a full brimmed hat. It works - but there is an annoying background hum. Works much better just plugging the buds into the detector. :dontknow:

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you everyone for your advice, it is much appreciated.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Before you buy a set ask the dealer what speakers they use, 90% of the after market, Big name (land head phones) use the same speakers, AudioSears 2463's, Sunray Pro Golds, Black Widows, Jolly Rodgers, Gray Ghost NTD, Killer Bees...and the list goes on, I would guess the DB rating of the headphones and the wiring would affect the final outcome. One of the few sets that were different, Rat Phones..

break them down and this is what you will see, same speaker's, the 2463 audiosear

OBN0397.jpg

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been happy with the Grey Ghost models - Nugget Busters NDT, Plain Nugget Busters, and Grey Ghost originals. Of the brands mentioned above, from what I've heard or read they're all good, but you have to decide which you like best sound wise and comfort wise. I've used some cheapies, but the tones are less sharp and muffled sounding. In any event, after I started using them, I never detect without them.
luvsdux

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello OBN,

Do you think the dealer will know the speaker type? I wonder, if they all use the same speaker is the quality due to the comfort, electronics or "bells and whistles" on the high end headphones? I hope others will add to this post on the technical aspects of headphone design/use and durability. I have been using the Garrett and white's headphones (not the most expensive) for a long time. Many members have stated a better/high end headphone set is a must, so off I go with the help of my forum friends.

Thank you again,

Professor

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Professor, one of the main reasons to go for the top line head phones is the muffling of the outside ambient noise, even a faint breeze can mask a faint deep target on the cheaper head phones. I do not have numbers available right now but the top grade phones give an ambient noise canceling rating. That comes at a cost though, weight, heat during the summer, and it is really hard to hear what is going on around you with them on. If I am in a sketchy area or in the woods where things give little warning before striking (rattlesnakes) I must remain ever vigilante to make sure I am safe.

But on the beach, a plowed field or a safe neighborhood, those faint little squeeks scream at you.

All the phones listed above are great phones, the detector pro to me have a more tinny sound then the pro golds or wasp, best bet is to head to a shop with your detector and try a couple different pair out, you will find the pair that suits your hearing (that's the key, as no ones hearing is the same as the next guy). I have a high tone hearing loss, so the pro golds with their mellow tone suit me best, with your SE you can also adjust your threshold tone to a lower pitch or higher pitch which ever suits you best.

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Sleeper,

Thank you for the very informative response. I have been looking at the DetectorPro Gray Ghost NDT and the “Killer B Wasp optima” as stated above. I do not have a place to try out different headphones, so I may just research the pro gold, NDT and wasp and choose. I would imagine that an upgrade from my current models will be a step in the right direction.

Thank you for your time,

Professor

Regards,

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the ghosts and Killer Bs. I much prefer the Bs as they fit my head great and just feel good on my head. It's also nice to be able to mute out all the chatter when I turn my pointer on and the T2 goes crazy

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some also have suppression and limiter circuits so you don't blow your eardrums out your nostrils when you hit a shallow aluminum can while looking for deep silver.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
POE,

Here is a link to an article regarding Headphones for Metal Detecting by a pro (Steve Herschbach):

HEADPHONES

I like the Nugget Buster NDTs. I like having one 1/4" cable and one 1/8" cable.

Best of Luck - Mike

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I use Treasure Wise headphones. Well built and functional. A bargain at $25.00. When it comes to headphone brands, Treasure wise is like the step child locked in the closet.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Prof, didn't the coconut headphones work for you?

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the advice and guidance! I decided to purchase (two sweet deals) the Gray Ghost NDT and the Killer B Wasp optima, should be here later this week. I may try the Sunray in the future.

Thank you again,

Professor

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the advice and guidance! I decided to purchase (two sweet deals) the Gray Ghost NDT and the Killer B Wasp optima, should be here later this week. I may try the Sunray in the future.

Thank you again,

Professor

You got both? Well played, sir!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread