OP
Creek'n

Creek'n

Greenie
Feb 16, 2015
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning, or I should say too much cleaning on an old coin will remove a lot of detail that only the many years in the ground could give it. Sometimes the contrast of the higher relief areas are made better visible by the patina created from the soil. Especially on coins that are near "slick" condition. I like my coins dirty:laughing7:

Thanks villagenut......... I have so much to learn

OP
OP
Creek'n

Creek'n

Greenie
Feb 16, 2015
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries, it's an honest mistake
I was using perch , and messed some up real bad
I'm glad I was able to find a better method

I'm just thankful to have y'all giving me so much good advice. :tongue3:

OP
OP
Creek'n

Creek'n

Greenie
Feb 16, 2015
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a rock tumble fill it half way with fish make sure you separate your pennies from the clad then put in about a cup of your coins and fill with water just above the coin level do not fill completely add a drop or two of dish soap seal and tumble around 2 hours check coins take out the one that looks good then if any needs more tumble then some more. One that is too nasty roll up in coin rolls and drop them off at the bank.

Gotcha.... I think. All your friends on here are really 'gittin' you though. :)

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I'm just thankful to have y'all giving me so much good advice. :tongue3:

Just having some fun, it's been a long winter in my neck of the woods

mlayers tumbler is good for coins your going to spend or for the ones that aren't worth much, it will clean them up enough to have them for a collection as a conversation piece

valuable coins should be considered differently and on a case by case basis, not every coin deserves the same cleaning method if cleaning is merited

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I seems people on here have no clue about cleaning finds, if you don't want to ruin your coins use young Sunfish, all the other fish will make your finds look horrible, trust me on that one I have tried all the other species.

Just some advice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread